Re: [anthroposophy] Schizophrenia and Paul

  • danifyou@tv.videotron.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19 4:38 AM
      -----Original Message-----
      From: "Bradford Riley"<holderlin66@...>

      After re-reading the fine work by Elaine and Danny it suddenly dawned on me
      that obviously the severe issue of Schizophrenia is like a certain
      psychological condition called 'More Abundus Paulus'. In St. Paul we have
      such a radical schism from materialistic insantity to sanity, but nursed
      through with a very conscious experience. Paul's experience was purely
      subjective. His former personality was sternly and aggressively destroying
      and stamping out these petty, momentary rabble rousers. He was an esoteric
      club member with the Hebrews and well respected within the establishment for
      his hard line conservative points of view and his scintillating intellect.

      Oops! We locate a pattern here in how the mind radically shifts gears so
      that the esoteric and unused part of the brain suddenly is flashed open and
      bam! Suddenly a purely subjective, unprovable state of soul, has to fly
      against the whole established thinking. He must have sounded like he was off
      his rocker.

      Some current trends in thought:

      "...undergoing a spiritual awakening. He sat down and tried to "make
      something happen." It proved easy to do. As he watched, the walls around him
      began to wave, picture frames shimmied. He believed he could see the
      individual molecules in objects. He extended his arms out to the sides and
      watched particles of light shoot through his body.

      }}}}}====>

      Let's speak about those particles of light...
      They have to do with chemical and light ether, with the organization of space...
      There are really such a thing as particles
      dancing and streaming... The Ancients did speak about "a-tom"(that which can't be divided) they had some clairvoyance after all didn't they? So this makes me think about the dot that becomes a sphere and yet remain itself... an Infinite Sphere is a Dot..
      A Father Ground kind of thing that Logoically expand to a Periphery, a Holy Spirit Space filled with Beings moving and getting conscious in it.. Different Matrixes here and there arising as Logoic organs and Archetypical centers...

      'I', as a CENTER, and the Father are ONE.

      What do you think?

      A fruit had sprung into existence inside his being: rare, sweet, ripening
      fast.

      "Lunatic. Insane. Demented. What happened in the downtown club was simple:
      Josh Beil began losing his mind. Josh will grant you that — he'll insist on
      it. That's the easy part. But he'll also insist that while he was in that
      mad, mad world he was in another place as well: the place of the mystic, the
      zone of spiritual transcendence. He was where St. Paul was when he had his
      vision on the Road to Damascus, where the Buddha was when, sitting
      cross-legged under a tree, things clicked in the most profound way.

      There is nothing special about such a claim on its own: lots of madmen have
      believed themselves to be divine. But Josh himself isn't the entire point.
      What makes his situation remarkable is that more and more these days,
      psychiatry — the profession that used to marched in lock step under Freud's
      pro-science/anti-religion banner — is beginning to agree with Josh.
      Psychiatrists and psychologists around the country, at major universities
      and hospitals, are studying religious experience as a natural, complex human
      phenomenon, and many of these professionals, noting the seeming similarities
      between religious ecstasy and psychosis, have concluded that psychosis and
      mysticism are closely related conditions, maybe so close that the
      differences lie only in the way society judges them.

      David Lukoff, PhD, a professor of psychology at the Saybrook Graduate School
      and Research Institute in San Francisco, is one of the leaders of this
      movement. In 1994, he and two of his colleagues steered it straight into the
      mainstream of the profession when they succeeded in getting a new diagnostic
      category, "the religious or spiritual problem," added to the DSM. That
      accomplishment makes this new psycho-mystical perspective at least
      technically billable to insurance companies, but even more it indicates the
      willingness of psychiatry to extend beyond its longstanding boundaries and
      venture into the no-man's-land of religion."

      Bradford writes;

      Lets not forget Swedenborg either. Here a mild mannered scientist, working
      diligently within the laws of science and steadily producing well thought
      out inches and centimeters of scientific thinking. All well and good, bam!
      Martians and Angels and sex and vision... Oops! the back door of Loyola
      opened up and there is suddenly a newly born Schizophrenic.

      If we deny the problem of radical Schizophrenia developing and we maintain a
      hard line that Paul was a terrorist and Steiner insane and Swedenborg
      nuts... We have a whole realm of uncharted spiritual history and experience
      which must conform to the narrow definitions of current medical hype. While
      there are reasons for everything, we might and are certainly drifting toward
      a mandatory injection so that souls will not have to ever encounter or feel
      the twinges from the new unexplored psychic region that materialism wishes
      to hide.

      Site below is truly interesting;

      http://www.mun.ca/rels/restmov/texts/gchapman/sfm/SFM19.HTM

      "Vision-logic, or network logic, is a transitional stage which transcends
      formal operational thinking and which can effect an increase in
      globalization, or in the capacity to intuitively appropriate the
      perspectives and to live the imperatives of a deeper, global identity, a
      globalization that goes beyond that made possible by rational thinking.
      Those at this developmental level are on the verge of the transpersonal.

      The first of the transpersonal levels, the psychic, is that in which there
      is a recognition of what Emerson described as the Over-Soul, that is, the
      discerning in others of the Soul, or Presence, that one discerns in
      oneself.14 At this level, as with those above it, individuality does not
      disappear, but "is negated and preserved in a deeper and wider ground, a
      ground that conspicuously includes all of nature and its glories."15 At this
      level, the moral imperative becomes less a matter of shoulds, an imposition,
      and more a natural expression of being.

      At the next, or subtle level, this Universal Self, that is present in
      others, is directly experienced in the unity of the physiosphere, biosphere
      and noosphere. This Self is the originating and sustaining ground of matter,
      life and mind, whose glories withdraw before the radiance of the Spirit that
      is their Ground. This stage is represented by the sixth mansion in Teresa's
      Interior Castle, where the Lover and the Beloved, God and the human soul
      enjoy occasional intimacy and where all creatures are embraced by the love
      and joy that are generated within one's inner being.16

      In the realm of the causal, the uniting of the soul and God, that was the
      fitful experience of the subtle level, is transcended in what Wilber
      describes as "the prior identity of Godhead, or pure formless awareness,
      pure consciousness as such, the pure Self as pure Spirit."17 The experience
      of union with God has been overtaken by an identity with Godhead. As Eckhart
      put it, "I find in this breakthrough that God and I are one and the same."18
      This experience is also reflected in the comment of the Johannine Jesus,
      that, "I and my Father are one."19 This state is often described as
      "formlessness", primordial "emptiness". It is an experience of absolute
      being, or, to put it in the language of the Hebrew Scriptures, of "I AM THAT
      I AM."20 What is experienced cannot be adequately described. The only way to
      approach an explanation is through negation, that is, through indicating
      what it is not [Sanskrit: neti, neti]. It is the pure Witness of "this and
      this" [130] that transcends "this and this". This state borders on the
      experience of a total overcoming of the subject/ object dichotomy.

      When one breaks through the formless causal, or the "absorption into pure
      unmanifest and unborn Spirit, the entire manifest world [or worlds] arises
      once again, but this time as a perfect expression of Spirit and as Spirit.
      The formless and the entire world of manifest Form--pure Emptiness and the
      whole Kosmos--are seen to be not-two [or non-dual]."21

      These transpersonal states of awareness are experienced and nurtured through
      meditation, without which they are nothing more than intriguing metaphysical
      theory that appears to have little connection with reality.

      Christianity has been suspicious of transpersonal exploration, a suspicion
      resulting from a number of factors.

      The first is a distrust in both the human body and in the teleological
      energies of the body/self. It is through the embodied apperception of the
      body/self that the Cosmic Presence is discerned.

      Second, Wilber, who, incidentally, holds no brief for Christianity, argued
      that the divinizing of Jesus, and the development of the doctrine of the
      Trinity, discouraged the possibility of his followers experiencing a
      Christic union with the divine.22 Christian contemplatives, while admired
      for other reasons, have found that their mystical experiences, which were
      foundational to who they were, were regarded with incomprehension and
      suspicion.

      The third relates to the separation, in the Mental Egoic phase in the
      development of human consciousness, the tentative beginnings of which Wilber
      situates around 2500 BCE,23 of the eros-driven path of ascent and the
      agape-driven path of descent, the healthful union of which resulted in the
      integration of wisdom and compassion. The fact that the West has been unable
      to hold together the balance between ascent and descent, in spite of
      Augustine24 and Schelling's25 attempts to do so, has resulted in a war
      between the Ascenders and in the Descenders and in the current dominance of
      the Descenders and disparagement of the Ascenders.26 This war, and its
      outcome, evident in the philosophical, scientific and political history of
      the West, is also reflected in the Church's, or, at least, in
      Protestantism's disinclination to take seriously the Church's tradition of
      mystical theology.

      Bradford writes;

      Steiner credits Nietzsche with one of the most massive cases of true
      Schizophrenia ever recorded. It is the part where Ahriman, the great ancient
      god, the Job antagonizer, is in the house! Welcome to the show, we got
      Ahriman in the house. It was justified considering the download of
      materialism in the minds and hearts of the Germanic elite, that Uncle
      Ahriman would need to find a nice poet and use his human vehicle for the
      corporate state system of Ahrimanic university training.