Re: The Life of the Earth in Past & Future Dornach, 17.2.23

  • 888
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 1999
      So one must imagine - people say - that the Earth was once a fiery
      fluid body, a fiery body. Then there can have been no life on it,
      otherwise it would, of course, have been burnt up. But the Earth
      gradually cooled. When it had cooled off, it was in a condition to
      receive life, if it had flown to it from the nearest star, as it was
      thought to have done, (taking 40,000 years to do it).

      Now, said the lecturer, one cannot imagine that a germ of life, a tiny
      life-germ, wandered for 40,000 years through cosmic space, which,
      besides, had a temperature of -220 degrees of cold, not heat! And that
      then, when it reached the Earth, life would arise. Before, however
      sufficient germs had flown to the Earth, they would have been burnt up.
      It is further supposed that when the Earth had cooled enough, they would
      thrive, said the speaker but that simply could not be. So we do not know
      whence life comes.

      But we do see that it comes out of cosmic space. We clearly see that, in
      all that lives, it is not merely the forces of the Earth that are at
      work. For we only make use of the forces of the Earth for the Eiffel
      Tower, for instance. And in such a tower as the grass-stalk, it is not
      merely the forces of the Earth, but the forces of the whole cosmos,
      which are at work. And when the Earth was still soft, gentlemen, when
      mica, felspar and silica were liquefied together, then the whole Earth
      was under the influence of the cosmos, and was a gigantic plant.
      Therefore if you go out into the mountains today, and find granite
      there, or gneiss, which is distinct from granite because the mica is
      more plentiful in it , more apparent - if you go out today into the
      mountains, and look at the granite or the gneiss, you are looking at the
      remains of those old plant-formations. The whole Earth was a plant. And
      precisely as, when a plant withers today, it gives up its mineral
      constituents to the earth, so, when it was still a plant, the whole
      terrestrial globe gave up, later, its mineral constituents to the Earth.

      And so we have today the mountain-ranges.

      Thus we may say: The hardest mountain-ranges that exist, had their
      origin in plant-beings, and the whole Earth was a kind of plant.
    • 888
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 1999
        The head is mostly outside in cosmic space, so it can most easily be
        cured with silica; the stomach is more closely connected with the earth,
        hence it can most easily be cured with mica. And that which lies more in
        the centre, the lungs, etc. can well be cured with feldspar, it is
        prepared in an appropriate way.

        Now you see, if we understand Nature, we actually understand also what
        are the healing forces for human nature. But one must have a sense for
        the way in which the cosmos collaborates with our Earth.

        You see, one can always explain definite matters only for definite
        occasions. Thus, now that we are further advanced, I can give you a more
        definite explanation of the migration of birds. Our modern Science is
        very abstract concerning bird-migration in autumn and spring. In spring
        the birds forsake their warmer haunts; and in autumn when it grows
        colder, the more northerly regions. But there are birds which fly over
        the ocean in a south-easterly direction - and, it is very strange, these
        birds fly extremely fast and do not rest on the way. That can be proved,
        because it can be proved that there are no islands at all on the paths
        which these birds often follow. And they fly very high, so that ordinary
        Science cannot answer the question: What, actually do they breathe up
        there? For one would expect them to be suffocated at that height. And
        the scientists have not hit upon an explanation of how these birds find
        their way. Some have said: Well, it is an inherited faculty; the young
        ones have always inherited it from the old. And then the old birds teach
        the young ones, and so it is quite easy for the young ones to do it.
        Thus, when the autumn comes, the old swallows set up a school, the young
        are taught, the old ones fly in front, the young, behind, imitating
        them.
        That is how men have pictured it.

        But, gentlemen, not all migratory birds do this; this is quite a
        peculiar case. It often happens with migrants - for instance, in
        Africa - that when spring comes to us, the old migrants fly away first,
        returning to us. The young ones hold out longer, because they are still
        strong; the old ones make their escape earlier, and leave the young ones
        behind. They neither teach them, nor act as guides; the young ones have
        to find their way alone.