Re: [anthroposophy] Steiner and Haeckel

  • DRStarman2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2002
      In a message dated 1/7/2002 10:17:44 PM, softabyss@... writes:

      << Here I am reading my new copy of "Rudolf Steiner and
      Anthroposophy for Beginners", enjoying much more than I
      anticipated and it mentions, here on page 38, that in 1899
      Steiner wrote a book called "Haeckel and His Opponents" in
      which he showed the strength of Haecckel's postion and the
      weakness of the theologins in the realm of evolution...

      Could anybody, Joel? Starman? tell me if this work is in
      English or anything else about it of interest? Thanks

      Carol >>

      *******I don't think it's been in print for a long time---I read it together
      with some essays on Karma in an old English edition, Two Essays on Haeckel
      and Karma. I'm sure the Steiner Library has it. Steiner was a good friend of
      Haeckel and dedicated his 'Riddles of Philosophy' to him.

      Starman
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2002
        Starman wrote:

        > *******I don't think it's been in print for a long time---I
        > read it together
        > with some essays on Karma in an old English edition, Two
        > Essays on Haeckel
        > and Karma. I'm sure the Steiner Library has it. Steiner was
        > a good friend of
        > Haeckel and dedicated his 'Riddles of Philosophy' to him.

        yes, and if this book I'm reading is accurate, Haeckel
        dedicated a couple works to Steiner.

        carol

        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2002
          Lia Tummer. Amazon.com

          It definitely has it's strengths and weaknesses. The
          weaknesses can get fairly annoying, however, if you have the
          ten bucks it's rather fun.

          Carol
          --- John Massengale <john@...> wrote:
          > > Here I am reading my new copy of "Rudolf Steiner and
          > > Anthroposophy for Beginners"
          >
          > Who wrote this book, and where does one get it?
          >
          > John Massengale

          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 11, 2002
            I thought it was a decent introduction and that the visuals enhanced the experience. Spiritual science is an extrememly difficult undertaking, and deservedly so. I prefer to use my time reading reading mostly Steiner, but I also like to peek into where others get to. People who pursue anthroposophy are not usually going to do so by way of this book, but have been prepared, or preparing, in some other way for a longer time.

            The real shake-out comes later.

            Bill

            --- John Massengale <john@...> wrote:
            > > Here I am reading my new copy of "Rudolf Steiner and
            > > Anthroposophy for Beginners"
            >
            > Who wrote this book, and where does one get it?
            >
            > John Massengale

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 11, 2002
              Now here is a sign of the times...you can get this book (other Steiner titles are also available) for under $10 at <www.walmart.com>! I wonder if they are carrying it in their stores?

              Bill

              John Massengale wrote:
              > Here I am reading my new copy of "Rudolf Steiner and
              > Anthroposophy for Beginners"

              Who wrote this book, and where does one get it?

              John Massengale

            • John Massengale
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 11, 2002