TheFirst Class?

  • elaineupton2001
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2002
      Dear friends,

      Recently, I read a very engaging article by Henry Barnes, revered old
      man, in the latest issue of the Newsletter of the Anthroposophic
      Society in America (it may also be in Das Goetheanum--I can't
      remember). The article was about "The First Class" of the School of
      Spiritual Science. Did any of you read the article? I thought it was
      helpful in understanding a bit of the origins of the School of
      Spiritual Science and the meaning of The First Class.

      To an outsider, the term "First Class" can sound foreboding or
      elitist, but it is not meant that way at all. What is interesting is
      that the term comes from Steiner's making a lesson (which was to be
      in three parts) for a first class, which was to be followed by a
      second class and third class, but never completed before his death.

      Why, in the 75(?) years since STeiner's death has no one developed
      the work so that the other parts of the First Class can be completed,
      and also progress made into the second and third classes? Or is this
      being done? Or is it not being done, and is this part of the
      paralysis in the Anthroposophic Society and its esoteric heart in the
      first class? These are questions, and not meant to be combative or
      offensive, but rather meant to ask if within the outer expression of
      anthroposophy there are still wounds and if these contribute to a
      paralysis. I know there was much controversy within the Society at
      the time of Steiner's death, and I wonder how this all figures in to
      the development (or lack thereof?) of the first and subsequent
      classes.

      In any case, as one who feels called to represent the being of
      Anthropo-Sophia, I humbly ask these questions and would be grateful
      for the discussion of any concerned souls.

      Have a Blessed New Year!
      elaine
    • Joel Wendt
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2002
        elaineupton2001 wrote:

        > Why, in the 75(?) years since STeiner's death has no one developed
        > the work so that the other parts of the First Class can be completed,
        > and also progress made into the second and third classes? Or is this
        > being done?

        Dear Elaine,

        According to Robert Powell, one of the last things Tomberg did as an
        anthroposophist (before Von Zyleman's asked him to leave the Dutch
        society), was to finish the First Class lessons - the Michael School
        (they were not finished), and give the Second Class lessons - the Sophia
        School, and the Third Class lessons - the Christos School.

        What was done with this material by the small group that received it, I
        have never heard. Maybe Stephen Cosgrove has more information, you
        might try him.

        warm regards,
        joel
      • elaineupton2001
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
          Dear Joel (and stephen cosgrove, if you are here),

          Thanks, Joel, for your reply on the First Class. And, as you suggest,
          I will contact Stephen Cosgrove. I don't know if he/you, stephen, are
          on this list, but I know you are on another with me.

          Well, the Tomberg controversy is everywhere, even in matters of First
          Class, or even mainly in such matters?...

          Blessed New Year!
          elaine

          >((...))
          > Dear Elaine,
          >
          > According to Robert Powell, one of the last things Tomberg
          did as an
          > anthroposophist (before Von Zyleman's asked him to leave the Dutch
          > society), was to finish the First Class lessons - the Michael School
          > (they were not finished), and give the Second Class lessons - the
          Sophia
          > School, and the Third Class lessons - the Christos School.
          >
          > What was done with this material by the small group that
          received it, I
          > have never heard. Maybe Stephen Cosgrove has more information, you
          > might try him.
          >
          > warm regards,
          > joel
        • Lil Ole Miss
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
            hmmm - this is strange. I have some of Rudolf Steiner's books published
            during his life time which are "Printed for Members of the School of
            Spiritual Science, Goetheanum, First Class..." - uh - perhaps the publisher,
            Philosophical-Anthroposophical Publishing Co., Goetheanum, Dornach,
            Switzerland, or even Steiner left something out? er - odd, this, isn't it?
            hmmm......

            Sheila

          • DRStarman2001@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
              In a message dated 1/7/2002 6:19:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              lilolemiss@... writes:

              << hmmm - this is strange. I have some of Rudolf Steiner's books published
              during his life time which are "Printed for Members of the School of
              Spiritual Science, Goetheanum, First Class..." - uh - perhaps the publisher,
              Philosophical-Anthroposophical Publishing Co., Goetheanum, Dornach,
              Switzerland, or even Steiner left something out? er - odd, this, isn't it?
              hmmm......

              Sheila >>

              *******I don't understand---what do you think was left out?
            • Lil Ole Miss
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
                > In a message dated 1/7/2002 6:19:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > lilolemiss@... writes:
                >
                > << hmmm - this is strange. I have some of Rudolf Steiner's books published
                > during his life time which are "Printed for Members of the School of
                > Spiritual Science, Goetheanum, First Class..." - uh - perhaps the
                publisher,
                > Philosophical-Anthroposophical Publishing Co., Goetheanum, Dornach,
                > Switzerland, or even Steiner left something out? er - odd, this, isn't it?
                > hmmm......
                >
                > Sheila >>
                >
                > *******I don't understand---what do you think was left out?

                I haven't the faintest idea. I thought I read a reply from Elaine [?] in
                answer to Joel's statement that Robert Powell said Tomberg put together
                First Class, Second Class, and part of Third Class lessons before he was
                asked to leave the Anthroposophical Society or Dornach, whichever it was? I
                can find no such reference. I don't understand, either.
                Sheila
              • DRStarman2001@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 8, 2002
                  In a message dated 1/7/2002 7:11:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  lilolemiss@... writes:

                  << > << hmmm - this is strange. I have some of Rudolf Steiner's books
                  published
                  > during his life time which are "Printed for Members of the School of
                  > Spiritual Science, Goetheanum, First Class..." - uh - perhaps the
                  publisher,
                  > Philosophical-Anthroposophical Publishing Co., Goetheanum, Dornach,
                  > Switzerland, or even Steiner left something out? er - odd, this, isn't it?
                  > hmmm......
                  >
                  > Sheila >>
                  >
                  > *******I don't understand---what do you think was left out?

                  I haven't the faintest idea. I thought I read a reply from Elaine [?] in
                  answer to Joel's statement that Robert Powell said Tomberg put together
                  First Class, Second Class, and part of Third Class lessons before he was
                  asked to leave the Anthroposophical Society or Dornach, whichever it was? I
                  can find no such reference. I don't understand, either.
                  Sheila

                  *******Tomberg imagined he could create the Second and Third Class---but was
                  such a failure at spiritual science that he went back to being a Catholic...
                  and thought that was a big step forward! Rejopining the Church that put
                  Steiner's books on the Index. I don't think anyone has anything to learn
                  from a hanger-on to our movement like that.

                  Starman
                • Lil Ole Miss
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 9, 2002
                    > In a message dated 1/7/2002 7:11:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    > lilolemiss@... writes:
                    >
                    > << > << hmmm - this is strange. I have some of Rudolf Steiner's books
                    > published
                    > > during his life time which are "Printed for Members of the School of
                    > > Spiritual Science, Goetheanum, First Class..." - uh - perhaps the
                    > publisher,
                    > > Philosophical-Anthroposophical Publishing Co., Goetheanum, Dornach,
                    > > Switzerland, or even Steiner left something out? er - odd, this, isn't
                    it?
                    > > hmmm......
                    > >
                    > > Sheila >>
                    > >
                    > > *******I don't understand---what do you think was left out?
                    > >
                    > I haven't the faintest idea. I thought I read a reply from Elaine [?] in
                    > answer to Joel's statement that Robert Powell said Tomberg put together
                    > First Class, Second Class, and part of Third Class lessons before he was
                    > asked to leave the Anthroposophical Society or Dornach, whichever it was?
                    > can find no such reference. I don't understand, either.
                    > Sheila
                    > >>
                    > *******Tomberg imagined he could create the Second and Third Class---but
                    was
                    > such a failure at spiritual science that he went back to being a
                    Catholic...
                    > and thought that was a big step forward! Rejopining the Church that put
                    > Steiner's books on the Index. I don't think anyone has anything to learn
                    > from a hanger-on to our movement like that.
                    >
                    > Starman

                    Dear DrStarman,
                    Thank you for confirming my own thoughts. It's puzzling to me how some
                    people base their ideas on Tomberg and Powell. I simply can't understand
                    this "blindness."

                    Sheila
                  • Joel Wendt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 9, 2002
                      DRStarman2001@... wrote:
                      > *******Tomberg imagined he could create the Second and Third Class---but was
                      > such a failure at spiritual science that he went back to being a Catholic...
                      > and thought that was a big step forward! Rejopining the Church that put
                      > Steiner's books on the Index. I don't think anyone has anything to learn
                      > from a hanger-on to our movement like that.

                      Dear Dr Starman,

                      This is basically pretty much erroneous. Perhaps you should do some
                      research and some real "thinking" about this before making
                      pronouncements.

                      joel
                    • Bradford Riley
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 9, 2002
                        Maybe I missed something but Powell and I were at the Goetheanum together
                        and I have gained a great deal from his research. Yet there may be some
                        valid proof that his insights are amiss. So, his star work and Mercury Star
                        Journal and Grail insights have been very, very well grounded for me. IMO. I
                        met with Willi Sucher and read his works and certainly Astrosophy needed a
                        champion or two and certainly some of these researchers working on Sophia
                        indications have worked diligently when working out Star Wisdom. Powell's
                        research on the Christ event and his work with the visionary that Brentano
                        witnessed was very creative, and fine work out of the Michael School. There
                        very well might be some difference between early and later works I grant
                        you... What am I missing here?

                        I was around when the Ramensburgers first started putting out Tomberg's
                        work. A great deal of Tomberg's work is rich and profound so my question is,
                        what am I missing in this picture? What part of the scoundrel school of
                        Michael do you think they emerge from? Are they both false prophets? I
                        would like to square myself with whatever I seem to have missed in my, well
                        35 years in Anthroposophy. Sheila seems to be a good soul, Starman is a
                        little thorny but has fine research, so what is the scorn we heap on those
                        who have contributed to the Michael School? I certainly am willing to
                        correct my false impression, if I have one.

                        Bradford