Jesuits-One_More_Time!

  • 888
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2001
      Receive the Godhead right into your willing
      And it comes down from its cosmic throne.
      -Schiller

      Dear Companions,
      We have been discussing the will and its training. I found a
      few interesting passages in Friedrich Rittelmeyer's "Meditation". He makes
      the point that before will must come feeling: "To Thee Divinbe Ground of the
      world- I turn my willing! May the power of this willing spring form feeling
      that unites itself with Christ, Who liveth in Thy Life..."
      -Act of Consecration of Man

      He continues:
      "THE training of the will still languishes for the most part among
      humanity....

      "And yet the increasing number of cases of sickness of the will-weakness of
      will, want of resolve, feeble vacillation-indicate that something must be
      done.

      "One can work upon the will by asceticism, by breathing exercises, and also
      by taking certain medicines. These can be a support to the organic
      foundations of the life of our will. But it is in accordance with the spirit
      of our time that the will should be built up out of the spiritual centre of
      the human being, out of the ego. Only so is it fully healthy and enduringly
      strong. It is certainly a help towards this if one freely gives up certain
      enjoyments. One will indeed notice how this concentrates and confirms one's
      will. But it must be a free renunciation, which has something of royalty in
      it, which can act at any moment, but will not; out of the nature of the
      spirit. Violence and rules from without easily bring about a damming-up of
      the will which is not quite healthy and which threatens a relapse.

      "It was otherwise in earlier ages when the human ego was still only little
      developed. To-day the only safe renunciation is that which the ego renews
      at every moment out of its free insight- Such a renunciation is enormously
      refreshing for the life of the will.

      He compares this with the Jesuit exercises:

      "We must also reject such training of the will as is offered us in the
      jesuitical and similar exercises.

      "It is not denied that they school and strengthen the will in a high degree.
      They break self-will. But they also break a man's own will. This is quite
      understandable because of the age in which they arose, and because of the
      object they were intended to serve. But they have no regard for the growing
      ego and its individual possibilities and tasks. They have no consideration
      for the ripening freedom in humanity. They do not see the royalty of a will
      which works out of an ego. So they develop, indeed the power of the will
      formally to a high degree, but at the price of
      having no free ego there to use this will. They put the man into a uniform.
      In this uniform he may feel his self to be strong, and believe himself to be
      something more than he really is. But nothing is more apt to lead humanity
      away from its goal than a spiritual uniform, at least in our age. In the
      exercises of the Jesuits, occult experiences of humanity are at work still
      with a thousand year-old power, but they work upon an age that requires
      something different. They maintain the Middle Ages among us , even when
      through their pact with Modernism they fascinate many people. Besides much
      else which might be said about them- e.g., that they proclaim
      us the earthly king instead of Christ as Lord of the higher ego, that they
      overwhelm men with a whole system of dogma from the past, that they plant
      much egoism and materialism- this crippling of the free ego, of which alone
      the will may break forth, is decisive for us. If to-day we bring to men new
      exercises for the much greater care must be taken for the individual of each
      several ego. Otherwise there arises a powerrful aggregate of will which can
      be guided by some power or other, but not the fulness of the Godhead which
      reveals itself in personalities whose egos are free."

      In Freedom,
      Bruce