Re: The Life of the Earth in Past & Future Dornach, 17.2.23

  • 888
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 1999
      And so, gentlemen, according to the laws which we, as mechanicians,
      apply on earth, such a tower must unconditionally fall. For when the
      wind shakes it, its elastic forces are not such as you can understand
      according to the laws which mechanicians must observe.

      Then, if you wanted to put something specially heavy at the top of the
      Eiffel Tower, you would see that it was impossible. But this tower
      which is a stalk, has the ear fixed to the top of it, and rocking in the
      wind. You see, this contradicts all architectural laws.

      Now, if we examine the material of which the corn-stalk is made, we get,
      first, wood, that is to say, a woody material; then that which you know
      as bast. You see that in trees. And what is within this, is now the real
      building material: silica, quartz, true silicic acid. And it is hard
      quartz, such as is found in the Alps, and, for example, in granite or
      gneiss. Thus this quartz forms a complete framework.

      And besides these, the fourth material is water. This mortar then, made
      of wood, bast, water and flint, defies all earthly laws. So a blade of
      grass is also a tower, built entirely out of these materials; it can be
      rocked in the wind, does not break, rights itself when the wind ceases,
      calmly regains its position when the weather is favourable. All this you
      know.

      But, gentlemen, such forces - forces with which such things can be built
      out of the earth, are non-existent on the earth, completely
      non-existent. And if you ask: Well, then, where do these forces come
      from? the answer must simply be: The Eiffel Tower is dead, the
      wheat-stalk is alive. But it does not receive its life from the earth;
      it receives it from the whole cosmic surrounding. Just as gravity only
      draws the Eiffel Tower downwards, so the stalk grows in such a way that
      it is not supported from below. - When we build the Eiffel Tower, we
      must lay one material upon another, and thus the lower does indeed
      always support the upper. With the wheat-stalk this is not the case; the
      wheat-stalk is, indeed, drawn out into cosmic space.
    • elaine m upton
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 1999
        Hello Bruce and all,

        This lecture by R.S. Continues to amaze me.--It reminds me of what Simone
        Weil said about gravity and grace. The Eiffel is under the laws of
        gravity, pulled downward, its source downward. The wheat stalk under the
        inspiration, the flow, the upward surge of grace--that of the entire
        cosmos.

        (Interesting what you say, Bruce, about modern towers and steel. What's
        in steel that would compare to the "silica, quartz, true silic acid"
        Steiner speaks of?)

        Plants--roots grow down=gravity forces. Stalks and the rest of the plant
        grow up--toward the sun.

        Love,

        On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:06:15 +1100 "888" <bhive@...> writes:
        >From: "888" <bhive@...>
        >
        >And so, gentlemen, according to the laws which we, as mechanicians,
        >apply on earth, such a tower must unconditionally fall. For when the
        >wind shakes it, its elastic forces are not such as you can understand
        >according to the laws which mechanicians must observe.
        >
        >Then, if you wanted to put something specially heavy at the top of
        >the
        >Eiffel Tower, you would see that it was impossible. But this tower
        >which is a stalk, has the ear fixed to the top of it, and rocking in
        >the
        >wind. You see, this contradicts all architectural laws.
        >
        >Now, if we examine the material of which the corn-stalk is made, we
        >get,
        >first, wood, that is to say, a woody material; then that which you
        >know
        >as bast. You see that in trees. And what is within this, is now the
        >real
        >building material: silica, quartz, true silicic acid. And it is hard
        >quartz, such as is found in the Alps, and, for example, in granite or
        >gneiss. Thus this quartz forms a complete framework.
        >
        >And besides these, the fourth material is water. This mortar then,
        >made
        >of wood, bast, water and flint, defies all earthly laws. So a blade
        >of
        >grass is also a tower, built entirely out of these materials; it can
        >be
        >rocked in the wind, does not break, rights itself when the wind
        >ceases,
        >calmly regains its position when the weather is favourable. All this
        >you
        >know.
        >
        >But, gentlemen, such forces - forces with which such things can be
        >built
        >out of the earth, are non-existent on the earth, completely
        >non-existent. And if you ask: Well, then, where do these forces come
        >from? the answer must simply be: The Eiffel Tower is dead, the
        >wheat-stalk is alive. But it does not receive its life from the
        >earth;
        >it receives it from the whole cosmic surrounding. Just as gravity
        >only
        >draws the Eiffel Tower downwards, so the stalk grows in such a way
        >that
        >it is not supported from below. - When we build the Eiffel Tower, we
        >must lay one material upon another, and thus the lower does indeed
        >always support the upper. With the wheat-stalk this is not the case;
        >the
        >wheat-stalk is, indeed, drawn out into cosmic space.

        >Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site

        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
      • 888
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 1999
          If you picture the earth thus (he draws it), and the stalks there, they
          will all be drawn out into cosmic space, because the latter is
          completely filled with a fine substance called ether, a substance which
          also lives in the plants. But this life does not come from the earth; it
          comes from cosmic space. So we can say:

          Life comes simply out of cosmic space.

          And that is how it is that when the ovum develops in the body of the
          mother, the mother's body gives only the substance. What works upon the
          ovum is the whole cosmic space. It is that which gives life to it. So,
          you see, cosmic space works into all that lives.

          Now look at plants; they grow, first of all, under the earth. If this
          is the earth (he draws it), the plants grow within it. But this earth
          is not an indifferent mass; it is actually something quite wonderful.
          In this earth there are all sorts of substances; but in ancient days
          three substances were quite specially important in it.

          One was a substance called mica. Very little of it is found in plants
          today, but though there is so little of it; it is extraordinarily
          important. You may perhaps remember having seen flakes of mica - mica is
          in the form of flakes or scales, little flakes which are often
          transparent. The earth was at one time interspersed with these flakes of
          mica. They lay in this direction (he draws). Then the earth was still
          soft, there were forces of this kind. And there were other forces
          opposite to them, running in this direction (again he draws), so that
          there was an actual network in the earth. These other forces are
          contained today in silica, in quartz.

          And between them there is still another main substance: that is clay.
          And this clay unites the other two, filling as it were in the network.
          As a rock it is called felspar.

          Thus at one time the earth was composed mainly of three kinds of rock.
          But it was all soft and pulpy. There was the mica, which was
          endeavouring to make the earth scaly, so that the earth would have
          become scaly in a horizontal direction. Then there was the quartz, which
          radiated in this way; (vertical line) and finally the felspar, which
          cemented the two together.
        • 888
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 1999
            Hi Elaine
            >(Interesting what you say, Bruce, about modern towers and steel. What's
            >in steel that would compare to the "silica, quartz, true silic acid"
            >Steiner speaks of?)

            I think what is important is the geometry of the girders- shape replaces
            substance.

            I've started posting this because Amanda (a geologist) asked for it. So
            as I had to scan it I thought I may as well post it and leave Paracelsus
            to later- though it does tie up.

            Fond Regards,
            Bruce
          • 888
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 1999
              We find these constituents today, if we take the clay found anywhere in
              the field. These three materials were at one time mixed in the earth;
              and today they are to be found out in the mountains. If we take a piece
              of granite, we find that it is quite granular, there are splinters in
              it. These splinters are split up mica-flakes. Then there are quite hard
              grains; those are quartz. Then there is the uniting grit, which is
              feldspar. These three substances have been softened and granulated; and
              they are to be found today out in the mountains. They form the
              foundation of the hardest mountain~ranges.

              Thus, ever since the Earth was soft, they have been pounded, ground down
              and mixed by all the various forces which are at work in the earth; and
              today they are disintegrated in the mountains. But the remains of these
              ancient substances, and especially the forces of these ancient
              substances, are still found everywhere in the earth. And out of these
              remains the plants are built up from the Cosmos.

              So we may say: Well, if these cosmic forces do still work out there in
              the mountains, they can do no more. These rocks are crumbled,
              disintegrated, granulated; and they are too hard to become plants. But
              with that which is within the earth, they can still be used to build up
              the plants in cosmic space, especially because a plant always gives its
              most important substances and forces to the germ.

              You see, gentlemen, a study of this kind which takes into consideration
              how the whole Cosmos collaborates with all that is alive, has no place
              in modern Science. Lately, as you have perhaps read, a lecture was given
              in Basle, in which the speaker explained how life must have originated
              on earth. He said: One can hardly imagine that through a mere mingling,
              or chemical compounding, of substances on earth, life can have arisen.
              Then it must have cone out of cosmic space. But how? -

              Now it is interesting to see how a modern scientist imagines that life
              can come out of cosmic space. He says to himself: Well now, if it is not
              on the earth, it must come from other stars. Now, the nearest star,
              which might perhaps at one time have shot forth material which then flew
              to the Earth - the nearest star is so far from the Earth that the
              material which was thus split off, would have needed forty thousand
              years to fly to the Earth.
            • 888
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 21, 1999
                So one must imagine - people say - that the Earth was once a fiery
                fluid body, a fiery body. Then there can have been no life on it,
                otherwise it would, of course, have been burnt up. But the Earth
                gradually cooled. When it had cooled off, it was in a condition to
                receive life, if it had flown to it from the nearest star, as it was
                thought to have done, (taking 40,000 years to do it).

                Now, said the lecturer, one cannot imagine that a germ of life, a tiny
                life-germ, wandered for 40,000 years through cosmic space, which,
                besides, had a temperature of -220 degrees of cold, not heat! And that
                then, when it reached the Earth, life would arise. Before, however
                sufficient germs had flown to the Earth, they would have been burnt up.
                It is further supposed that when the Earth had cooled enough, they would
                thrive, said the speaker but that simply could not be. So we do not know
                whence life comes.

                But we do see that it comes out of cosmic space. We clearly see that, in
                all that lives, it is not merely the forces of the Earth that are at
                work. For we only make use of the forces of the Earth for the Eiffel
                Tower, for instance. And in such a tower as the grass-stalk, it is not
                merely the forces of the Earth, but the forces of the whole cosmos,
                which are at work. And when the Earth was still soft, gentlemen, when
                mica, felspar and silica were liquefied together, then the whole Earth
                was under the influence of the cosmos, and was a gigantic plant.
                Therefore if you go out into the mountains today, and find granite
                there, or gneiss, which is distinct from granite because the mica is
                more plentiful in it , more apparent - if you go out today into the
                mountains, and look at the granite or the gneiss, you are looking at the
                remains of those old plant-formations. The whole Earth was a plant. And
                precisely as, when a plant withers today, it gives up its mineral
                constituents to the earth, so, when it was still a plant, the whole
                terrestrial globe gave up, later, its mineral constituents to the Earth.

                And so we have today the mountain-ranges.

                Thus we may say: The hardest mountain-ranges that exist, had their
                origin in plant-beings, and the whole Earth was a kind of plant.
              • 888
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 27, 1999
                  The head is mostly outside in cosmic space, so it can most easily be
                  cured with silica; the stomach is more closely connected with the earth,
                  hence it can most easily be cured with mica. And that which lies more in
                  the centre, the lungs, etc. can well be cured with feldspar, it is
                  prepared in an appropriate way.

                  Now you see, if we understand Nature, we actually understand also what
                  are the healing forces for human nature. But one must have a sense for
                  the way in which the cosmos collaborates with our Earth.

                  You see, one can always explain definite matters only for definite
                  occasions. Thus, now that we are further advanced, I can give you a more
                  definite explanation of the migration of birds. Our modern Science is
                  very abstract concerning bird-migration in autumn and spring. In spring
                  the birds forsake their warmer haunts; and in autumn when it grows
                  colder, the more northerly regions. But there are birds which fly over
                  the ocean in a south-easterly direction - and, it is very strange, these
                  birds fly extremely fast and do not rest on the way. That can be proved,
                  because it can be proved that there are no islands at all on the paths
                  which these birds often follow. And they fly very high, so that ordinary
                  Science cannot answer the question: What, actually do they breathe up
                  there? For one would expect them to be suffocated at that height. And
                  the scientists have not hit upon an explanation of how these birds find
                  their way. Some have said: Well, it is an inherited faculty; the young
                  ones have always inherited it from the old. And then the old birds teach
                  the young ones, and so it is quite easy for the young ones to do it.
                  Thus, when the autumn comes, the old swallows set up a school, the young
                  are taught, the old ones fly in front, the young, behind, imitating
                  them.
                  That is how men have pictured it.

                  But, gentlemen, not all migratory birds do this; this is quite a
                  peculiar case. It often happens with migrants - for instance, in
                  Africa - that when spring comes to us, the old migrants fly away first,
                  returning to us. The young ones hold out longer, because they are still
                  strong; the old ones make their escape earlier, and leave the young ones
                  behind. They neither teach them, nor act as guides; the young ones have
                  to find their way alone.