Soldiers & Pacifists

  • Richard Distasi
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2001
      Anthroposophy list members:

      The tragedies on 9/11/01 has clearly given the U.S and the also the world a dilemma that challenges our social and moral thinking. As in all tragedies whether they impact only a single individual or they are world-wide in scope they bring to us a challenge to which the spiritual world looks to us and asks, "What are you going to do ?" That is , what are we going to do individually and collectively ? Individually, everyone's answer should be in accord with one's own personal life-destiny. The choice in how one reacts in one's thinking, feeling, speech and deed should be congruent with the path of destiny that one has taken in this lifetime. The right life-destiny decision of action of a soldier is not going to be the same as the right life-destiny decision of action of a pacifist. The world at this point in time of world evolution needs both the soldier and the pacifist. However, the soldier should not insist on the pacifist to take up arms and the pacifist should not insist that the soldier should lay down his/her arms.

      Both sides are needed in this world. Both sides should be heard. One side should not insist that the other conform to what is their own personal life-destiny. For example, I should never insist that someone take up the same path of life as my own. The individual 'WILL' of the other should always be respected. Hopefully, the voice of the pacifist influences us such that our world challenges do not escalate into excessive militarism while in turn the soldier should be respected for standing in the defense of those who are attacked by aggressors.

      Rick Distasi
    • elaine upton
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001

         My dear Richard,

        Thank you for your post. I agree with you about one thing (and when I say "I agree", I mean that I seek to practice this in my life, more than just state an opinion, of which we have much flying around lately in this country): I seek to practice not telling others what to do--not telling the soldier, not telling the pacifist, in this case, what to do. So, I am in sync with your post on that.

        However, I am not in sync when you say that in this time both the soldier and the pacifist or needed. All I can say is that I don't know if the soldier is needed. Apparently, some are "choosing" (or choosing, without quotes?) to be soldiers, and I must accept this. I also must respect my brothers and sisters, be they soldiers or pacifists. That I seek to do, and thus will not tell another what to do. Still, I cannot say that soldiers are needed. I don't think I have that large a view of the universe to know what is needed. I can only follow the light I see and pray that others may feel free to do the same if they choose.

        In Love--Shalom, Assalaam Aliechum,

      • Richard Distasi
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
          Elaine you wrote:

          "I can only follow the light I see and pray that others may feel free to do the same if they choose."

          That is how I see it. You have to follow your own path that is right for you.

          Rick Distasi

        • utopia_planetia@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
            One thing for sure, is that if no one enrolled to "protect" their
            country if that's what it's about, then leaders would have no one to
            send to fight their wars. Soldiers in both official organisations
            and "unofficial" and terrorist groups.