Re: Bioneers

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2001
      Hi Bradford, Elaine,

      The Bioneers site intro proclaims:

      It's all Alive!
      It's all Connected!
      It's all Intelligent!
      It's all Relatives!

      See:

      http://www.bioneers.org

      for more and more.

      Warmly,
      JoAnn

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • John Massengale
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2001
        There are many things I admire about the bioneers, but in my own field they
        touch on one of my pet peeves. The architects involved in the bioneers tend
        to fall back on the Modernist cliches about the Zeitgeist and the Heroic
        Genius architect. In other words, reinvent the wheel, and fix it even if it
        ain't broke.

        More importantly, many bioneers are what might be called Unsustainable
        Greens. This also relates to my field of town planning.

        The conflict can be summarized by looking at the town where Ken Ausubel
        lives, Santa Fe, New Mexico, where many people think being spiritual means
        living on your own ranchito. Thus sprawl has come to the New Mexican desert,
        which is bad enough in itself, particularly in the amount of water it wastes
        in a desert climate. But even worse is that Santa Feans drive everywhere for
        everything, and usually a long way in their gas-guzzling pickup or SUV. It
        is because of behavior like this that we in the US use 1/3 of the world's
        energy. Gas consumption is by far the largest item of consumption, and the
        factor that distinguishes us from all other countries.

        Some bioneers are Perma Culturalists, which is fine, except when your "Perma
        Culture" is only supported by driving 1,000 miles a week in a vehicle
        getting 10 MPG.

        John Massengale