Rudolf Steiner on Drugs

  • 888
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 1999
      (I would have made a good sub-editor, eh? After a talk on Waldorf
      education a guy came up to me and told me Steiner only made sense to him
      when he was stoned.)

      From some notes on "Origin and Meaning of Wine" by Rudolf Steiner:

      "In the Persian Race we get the description of the beginning of the vine
      culture. But still wine was something quite wordly. Gradually it was
      applied to the Dionysian cult."

      During the 4th subrace wine began to be treated as a holy thing. In
      the past water was considered holy and used in the mysteries. Note that
      for women of childbearing age, wine was still forbidden except during
      the Bacchanalia.

      Back to the Doctor:
      "Wine was that which separated man from everything spiritual. He who
      takes wine cannot arrive at the spiritual. He can know nothing of Manas,
      Buddhi, Atma. The whole course of humanity is one of descent and ascent.
      Man had to go own once to the lowest point. That he might thus go down
      to the lowest point, there arose the Dionysian cult."

      "Formerly there was a strict rule for priests, forbidding wine. They
      could experience Atma, Buddhi, Manas. There had to be a religion which
      could come quite down to the physical plane, one that changed water into
      wine. Later on the wine will be changed into water. If water had not
      been changed into wine, man could not have taken with him all that is
      below in the Vale of Earth."

      You can read more about this in the Gospel lectures.

      Many on this list would know that Dr. Steiner claimed he used alcohol in
      his early years to stamp out blood clairvoyance. Now whether or not that
      was a great excuse for getting drunk, I don't know. It's not going to
      work if you're pulled over by the police.

      Alcohol was intimately connected with the incarnation of the human ego-
      I'll develop this later.

      Marina wrote:
      >No, Bruce, pigs can easily do the same in the Pink Floyd realm :)

      Welcome Marina! I think _everyone_ was flying in the Pink Floyd realm.
      RS does mention the pig in one of his discussions on drugs.

      Onelist has renovated its site and I have now been able to retrieve the
      members who had bouncing email addresses. So welcome back!

      -Bruce
    • 888
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 1999
        Welcome to those new members- Cheers *clink, clink!*

        Further on this mystery of alcohol:
        Apart from the direction alcohol guided us -downwards - there is also
        the fascinating connection it has with the Self.
        Here's the quote from the Gospel of John Lectures 23 May 1908:

        "In future, people will be able to say in the most literal sense that it
        was the task of alcohol to pull man down into the material world so far
        that he would become selfish, and that alcohol would lead him to demand
        the use of his self for his own purpose, so that it would no longer
        serve the whole nation... Alcohol has removed man's capacity to feel at
        one with the universe in the higher worlds."

        It is interesting that a people such as the Australian Aboriginal still
        had this feeling of at oneness with the land and cosmos. They of course
        did not have the use of alcohol 'til the arrival of the white man.

        After the Incarnation the use of alcohol became decadent. It was Christ
        who was to bring the gift of the independent Self:
        "His mission consisted of bringing man the full power of the Self, the
        inner independence of soul."
        -St John Lectures

        Alcohol prepared the way for the independent Self but now it creates a
        separate self of its own.

        The Self manifests itself on Earth by the agency of the ethereal warmth:

        "The effect of ethereal heat permeates the total organism...it is the
        medium through which man's spiritual self can come into contact with the
        living, physical body."
        -Lievegoed

        Alcohol acts like an interior imitation of sunshine. Through this
        separate warmth organisation it now interferes with the Self. The Self
        is disrupted:

        "We may therefore say that to take alcohol is to produce a counter-ego
        in oneself. For it has the effect of influencing action that should
        spring freely from the resolution of the ego: alcohol thinks, feels and
        acts in the ego's place. A person in this situation lets a purely
        external, material ego dictate to him. Alcohol prevents his own ego from
        acting, thus making him its slave."

        This is "Big Al's" game and purpose now- slavedriver.

        I'll tie up the loose ends on this thread with Dr.Steiner's description
        on the effects of alcohol on the body next time.

        -Bruce
        RS from "The Problems of Nutrition"
        http://www.elib.com/Steiner/Lectures/Nutrition.phtml

        "It would take too long to explain the spiritual scientific reason
        showing that alcohol produces physically and in an external way out of
        the plant, just what a man should develop physically within himself
        through his ego being centered within him. It is a fact inwardly
        perceived through spiritual science that when a person drinks alcohol,
        it takes over the specific activity that otherwise belongs wholly to the
        person's ego. A person who drinks much alcohol needs less food and his
        body will require less nourishment than is normally required in the
        process of combustion.

        It calls forth forces that otherwise would be called forth by the ego's
        inner penetration. Thus, a person can externalize the activity of his
        ego by infusing his body with alcohol. Consequently, alcohol imitates
        and copies the activity of the ego, and you can understand why it is
        that people turn to it. To the extent, however, that a man replaces his
        inner self with such a substitute, to that extent does he become its
        slave. If otherwise qualified, a man will be better able to unfold the
        best forces of his ego when he abstains from alcohol altogether. By
        drinking alcohol an inner hindrance is created behind which something
        takes place that actually should and would be accomplished through the
        activity of the ego itself if the hindrance had not been produced. "