Re: Pennysylvania esoteric?Quaker esotericism?

  • elaineupton@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7 1:06 PM
      Thanks, Bradford, and hello all who are interested in this thread.

      Your reply(Bradford) to my questions on esoteric Quakerism and
      esoteric Pennsylvania (Anthropops at Kimberton, Amish, Philadephia,
      etc.) is good to read and helpful, particularly with what you say of
      the listening/stillness of Quaker practice as a way of tapping the I
      AM and rising above the astral/sentient, and reaching into the "John
      Gospel Word field" is wonderful.

      That John Gospel (In the beginning was the Word...) keeps coming back
      to me, and has been so important to me since childhood (although for
      periods of time I forget it, at least outwardly).

      I do attend (irregularly, so far) Quaker (or Friends)
      meetings--presently one of the two Meetings in Baltimore, MD, and MD
      is not far from Penn., and MD also had a strong Quaker presence
      historically. I am an anthropop, yet feel drawn to something in the
      Quaker way, as does my partner.--

      ((By the way, I've also attended Unitarian Universalist churches (some
      call them "fellowships", not churches), and also find something
      important in the openness and commitment to social justice (what the
      Quakers call peace and justice testimony and witness, I believe). R.W.
      Emerson, admired by many anthropops, had something to do with the
      founding of one Unitarian group or another, right?))

      Well, I will seek more on George Fox and William Penn. Also on Roger
      Williams, and his ideals of "religous freedom." And yes, the founding
      of the United States (colonies, etc.) seems replete with complex
      spiritualities.

      Be well,
      elaine
    • elaineupton@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7 1:09 PM

      • DRStarman2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
          In a message dated 8/6/2001 12:55:18 PM, holderlin66@... writes:

          << Quaker Query?

          Bradford writes;

          The positive forces of the Declaration and the symbols of the U.S. (which
          are very occult, note dollar) were laced with early Quaker contributions.
          Quakers have trained themselves in an occult listening stillness. When the
          higher I Am is active or inspired, there is a certain tuning field. The
          Quaker group will sit in silence as an occult stillness bring about a
          powerful spiritual hearing and listening force within the group. When a
          person does speak the inner soul forces and the high aspect of listening
          into the ego of the other, create a very advanced art of what Marjorie Spock
          depicted as Goethean conversation. In this field of Quaker development a
          John Gospel Word field is tapped.

          The depth of the forces that have inspired the early incubation of America
          and that surround many thoughts related to anti-slavery, freedom of speech,
          brotherhood, the realm of the angels, have been politically drawn from the
          still pool of profound Quaker listening. They respect the freedom of the
          indivdual.

          I cannot say that I have documented any of my research into this matter, but
          I have rubbed shoulders with several stunning Quaker friends.

          The relation to occult hearing and 'those who have ears to hear' have
          allowed a strong trickle of inspiration into the early political foundations
          of America. Steiner has lectures on occult hearing but the etheric forces of
          those families engaged in Quaker life, as simple, honest and straightforward
          goodness as most of them are, from childhood on, the purity of etheric
          forces seem to prepare for what is known as Manas or Spirit Self.

          It is a stage abovetheintellectual/political/legal soul forces and meditates
          itself just above the consciousness soul. That which does not allow the
          astral body and sentient soul to disturb the listening process but waits for
          the higher ego to overshadow the human being, the higher being or angel, and
          in those words and from those words, Manas or substance is generated, is all
          part of the Quaker process.

          Where words begin to have an etheric or quiet force that is trained with
          certain aspects indicated in KOHW by R.S. a true force incubates as far as
          I can tell. I do not think that the Quaker groups are conscious of what
          realms they tap, someone must have been, but even as an instinctive capacity
          it reflects a certain need in a persons incarnation to find a family geared
          in that direction. (one family, the Brightons???) not sure, merged with
          Anthroposophy and were very interesting.

          Anyways that geographic area where a form of spiritus-loci permeated with
          organic farmers, The Amish, slower technology, Occult listening, warm inner
          family relations might be holding secret elemental forces, Kimberton etc..
          that maintain a curative elemental core for some future spiritual mission.
          Perhaps that spiritual geographical field has a preserving force that bears
          a future embryo of the American Philadelphia impulse. There is a mystery
          there for sure!!!

          It does indeed account for the 'specialness' of Philadelphia.

          As a modern-day example of being raised Quaker, I would point to Joan
          Baez.

          Just as Steiner said that all of anthroposophy may be found in embryo in
          the writings of Emerson (who was also influenced by we Quakers), so too it
          can be found germinating in the words spoken by the Spirit at meeting.