Time Monks Twin Earthquake Watch

  • DB
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2008
      I am going to surface out of lurker mode to make a counter prediction
      regarding the Dec. 10-15th prognostication of huge devastating
      quakes--to say that, as someone who was in a huge devastating quake in
      the mid-1970s (Guatemala), I believe we all can rest assured that there
      will be none at all during those days. After decades of following
      earthquake predictions I have yet to see even one be right.
      However its never a bad idea to be ready so get your supplies together
      regardless. When living in SoCal and driving the freeways daily, I
      always had the trunk of my car stocked with a backpack, flashlight,
      rope, raingear (the weather always gets stirred up after a quake)
      walking shoes and cane, change of clothes, water, energy bars, a few
      medical supplies, a little money, a blanket and a fifth of whisky--plus
      a general plan with the people closest to me as to where we'd all try
      and meet up. Today I'd probably add a taser.
      At home, know where to turn off the gas to your house - I spray painted
      the thingie bright blue and hung a wrench on it. Look around, figure
      out where power lines may fall and know where you can exit the house
      safely. Your greatest danger is probably from fire since wood framed
      houses are very unlikely to collapse unless they slide off the
      foundation--its a real good idea to have the house bolted to the
      foundation. And Tom, you may want to take the mirrors off the ceiling.

      all the best,
      Deborah
      about 100 miles from the New Madrid fault