Pennysylvania esoteric?Quaker esotericism?

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2001

      Hello dears,

      Basically, two questions here in this post: one about Pennyslvania estoericism in general, and one about Quakers, specifially, who had/have strong presence in Pennyslvania. For those of you from countries other than the U.S., I hope these questions may also be of interest.

      Is anyone familiar with an esoteric tradition among Quakers (aka, The Society of Friends), founded by George Fox in the 17th century in England and spread through parts of the U.S. and Europe, and further developed by such as William Penn in the American colonies (also Roger Williams in Rhode Island??). I've heard Penn had much more kindly dealings with the native peoples than did other Colonial governors, and I know that at some point Quakers renounced slavery and helped slaves escape, but I don't know much about whether Penn or Fox or others had esoteric experiences beyond the exoteric practices of the Society of Friends. (I live in Maryland, near Pennsylvania, and there is a strong Quaker tradition here, too, particularly in peace work and the abolition of slavery.)

      Penn, was of course in Pennsylvania, the state named for him. Moreover, I wonder if the whole state has some special aura and if it is particularly open to some special esoteric stream. Consider that centuries later Blavatsky was in Philadelphia (city of Brotherly Love--quite a name), and the name Pennsylvania itself--with sylvan--calls up something quite idyllic and mythic. There are also the Amish and Mennonites with a large presence in the state, a people who, however controversial, bear witness to simplicity in this century of greed. --Then, alas, one of the strongest anthroposophic settings in America, is around Kimberton, Pennyslvania, with at least two Camphill establishments (Soltane and Beaver Creek) and one of the oldest Waldorf Schools at Kimberton, and other anthropop activities galore.

    • Bradford Riley
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2001
        >From: "elaine upton

        Quaker Query?

        Bradford writes;

        The positive forces of the Declaration and the symbols of the U.S. (which
        are very occult, note dollar) were laced with early Quaker contributions.
        Quakers have trained themselves in an occult listening stillness. When the
        higher I Am is active or inspired, there is a certain tuning field. The
        Quaker group will sit in silence as an occult stillness bring about a
        powerful spiritual hearing and listening force within the group. When a
        person does speak the inner soul forces and the high aspect of listening
        into the ego of the other, create a very advanced art of what Marjorie Spock
        depicted as Goethean conversation. In this field of Quaker development a
        John Gospel Word field is tapped.

        The depth of the forces that have inspired the early incubation of America
        and that surround many thoughts related to anti-slavery, freedom of speech,
        brotherhood, the realm of the angels, have been politically drawn from the
        still pool of profound Quaker listening. They respect the freedom of the
        indivdual.

        I cannot say that I have documented any of my research into this matter, but
        I have rubbed shoulders with several stunning Quaker friends.

        The relation to occult hearing and 'those who have ears to hear' have
        allowed a strong trickle of inspiration into the early political foundations
        of America. Steiner has lectures on occult hearing but the etheric forces of
        those families engaged in Quaker life, as simple, honest and straightforward
        goodness as most of them are, from childhood on, the purity of etheric
        forces seem to prepare for what is known as Manas or Spirit Self.

        It is a stage abovetheintellectual/political/legal soul forces and meditates
        itself just above the consciousness soul. That which does not allow the
        astral body and sentient soul to disturb the listening process but waits for
        the higher ego to overshadow the human being, the higher being or angel, and
        in those words and from those words, Manas or substance is generated, is all
        part of the Quaker process.

        Where words begin to have an etheric or quiet force that is trained with
        certain aspects indicated in KOHW by R.S. a true force incubates as far as
        I can tell. I do not think that the Quaker groups are conscious of what
        realms they tap, someone must have been, but even as an instinctive capacity
        it reflects a certain need in a persons incarnation to find a family geared
        in that direction. (one family, the Brightons???) not sure, merged with
        Anthroposophy and were very interesting.

        Anyways that geographic area where a form of spiritus-loci permeated with
        organic farmers, The Amish, slower technology, Occult listening, warm inner
        family relations might be holding secret elemental forces, Kimberton etc..
        that maintain a curative elemental core for some future spiritual mission.
        Perhaps that spiritual geographical field has a preserving force that bears
        a future embryo of the American Philadelphia impulse. There is a mystery
        there for sure!!!

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
          Thanks, Bradford, and hello all who are interested in this thread.

          Your reply(Bradford) to my questions on esoteric Quakerism and
          esoteric Pennsylvania (Anthropops at Kimberton, Amish, Philadephia,
          etc.) is good to read and helpful, particularly with what you say of
          the listening/stillness of Quaker practice as a way of tapping the I
          AM and rising above the astral/sentient, and reaching into the "John
          Gospel Word field" is wonderful.

          That John Gospel (In the beginning was the Word...) keeps coming back
          to me, and has been so important to me since childhood (although for
          periods of time I forget it, at least outwardly).

          I do attend (irregularly, so far) Quaker (or Friends)
          meetings--presently one of the two Meetings in Baltimore, MD, and MD
          is not far from Penn., and MD also had a strong Quaker presence
          historically. I am an anthropop, yet feel drawn to something in the
          Quaker way, as does my partner.--

          ((By the way, I've also attended Unitarian Universalist churches (some
          call them "fellowships", not churches), and also find something
          important in the openness and commitment to social justice (what the
          Quakers call peace and justice testimony and witness, I believe). R.W.
          Emerson, admired by many anthropops, had something to do with the
          founding of one Unitarian group or another, right?))

          Well, I will seek more on George Fox and William Penn. Also on Roger
          Williams, and his ideals of "religous freedom." And yes, the founding
          of the United States (colonies, etc.) seems replete with complex
          spiritualities.

          Be well,
          elaine
        • elaineupton@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001

          • DRStarman2001@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
              In a message dated 8/6/2001 12:55:18 PM, holderlin66@... writes:

[...]

              It does indeed account for the 'specialness' of Philadelphia.

              As a modern-day example of being raised Quaker, I would point to Joan
              Baez.

              Just as Steiner said that all of anthroposophy may be found in embryo in
              the writings of Emerson (who was also influenced by we Quakers), so too it
              can be found germinating in the words spoken by the Spirit at meeting.