RE: [anthroposophy] The Epic of Gilgamesh

  • Mikko Nuuttila
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
      A sidenote: Sumer is much like the word Suomi (Finland in Finnish). It think it was precisely the Epic of Gilgamesh in Sumer that describes a bull standing in water (as one of the origins of the world) like in the myth about Lemminkäinen in Kalevala there is similarly one, I remember. I once read a comparison about those bulls somewhere and the opinion expressed in the article was that it was the same myth. Moreover, wasn't Gilgamesh a giant, for Kaleva was one? Perhaps there is a distant echo of linguistic similarity in the words Kaleva and Gilgamesh as well.

      There are many hundreds of Sumerian words in the present day Hungarian language and Hungarian is related to Finnish.

      Mikko

      To: anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com
      From: emeraldnina@...
      Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:50:01 +0000
      Subject: [anthroposophy] The Epic of Gilgamesh

      Hello Everyone,
      Yesterday I visited Brunnen von Christus and discovered new
      extraordinary article there. It is unknown to me if any scholar has
      reached this level of meaning and insight,with such precision and
      clarity. With abundant gratitude to BvC/Martha Keltz - Nina

      http://www.geocitie s.com/brunnenart icls/gilgamesh. html

      The Epic of Gilgamesh - He Who Saw the Deep
      By Martha Keltz

      "The cultures of the ancient Indian, Persian and Egyptian ages
      represent a descent from clairvoyant vision to the purely human vision
      of the Greek age. What begins with our own age, and must be attained
      in ever-increasing measure during the coming centuries and millennia,
      should be conceived as a reascent, a reattainment of forms of culture
      imbued with clairvoyance. The Egypto-Babylonian- Chaldean age is
      therefore to be regarded as the last stage of preparation for the
      essentially human culture of Greece." - Rudolf Steiner, Occult History.

      Cosmic and Earthly Origins, Language, Gods

      According to the Sumerian King List, the origins of Mesopotamia, in
      the geographical area of modern Iraq, date back millennia before the
      flood. Thus it appears that these prehistoric civilizations existed
      parallel with the later ages of the Atlantean epoch. The enormous
      amount of contemporary scholastic and scientific work regarding all
      aspects of Mesopotamian life, from mythology to recorded history,
      should likewise begin to cast light on the mysteries of Atlantis. As
      one delves deeply into studies of Sumerian, Akkadian, Chaldean and
      Babylonian histories, genuine understanding requires recognition of
      the Atlantean great epoch as fundamental, as vast panoramic
      background, as original source and bearer of all significant ancient
      cultures, of all spiritual wisdom. From the Atlantean epoch onwards,
      long into recorded history, water was the source of all wisdom, and
      union with the cosmos, with the spiritual world, was sought within the
      fresh, pure waters, within the sweet waters. Nowadays wisdom must be
      sought through the Spirit of the Earth.

      Chattaa joukolla uudella Messenger betalla. Lisätietoja. Klikkaa!
    • Stephen Hale
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2008
        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <emeraldnina@...> wrote:

        > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Hale" <sardisian01@>
        > wrote:
        > > Oops. December 1910. But Steiner actually referred to these two
        in
        > > September 1910, with the "Gospel of Matthew" lectures. Rather
        > > hidden, and more involving the Old Testament figures of Moses and
        > > Hermes, but still these two that would pass on down to Aristotle
        and
        > > Alexander, and Aquinas and Lamprecht. - Steve
        > >
        > > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/OccultHist/OccHis_index.html
        >
        > Dear Steve,
        > Will look forward to reading some of the original sources Martha
        noted.
        > Thank-you for making it easy for me by providing a link to get
        started!
        > Every step taken to enrich others is valued.Glad you were able to
        > participate in some of the early BvC discussions. I am grateful to
        > everything that contributed to the final product. Eager to learn
        more
        > spiritual science! Nina

        Nina, you would/will be a valued contributor to the BvC list, as it
        is very much involved with the spirit of RS in its present position
        of instreaming inspirations from the astral world. That list was
        like receiving a fine fiery etheric force that surrounded my head
        like lapping tongues. I probably got further into the mystery of
        Gilgamesh there than anywhere else, as it really concerns the forming
        of the two major streams of time and space into the post-atlantean
        world. The Epic of Gilgamesh, the oldest of the national folk tales,
        is an assyrian legend, carried down on twelve tablets written in
        cuneiform script, and concerns the exploits of Gilgamesh, leader of
        Uruk, and Eabani (Enkidu), who is three-quarters a god to Gilgamesh
        being one half a god. This was when men were still more godlike than
        mere men, even as late as 2700 BC.

        The Epic of Gilgamesh is the tale carried on down through the ages of
        the exploits of Gilgamesh in seeking the truth of the immortality of
        the soul and wherein his search leads him to a place where an ancient
        mystery school existed. It is what he learns in this mystery school
        as a neophyte and eventual initiate that he brings back with him to
        Uruk, and passes on down as legend. It is not without significance
        that Abraham was born just 700 years later in the town just south of
        Uruk, in Ur of Chaldea.

        And Rudolf Steiner for very important reasons renews this story of
        the Gilgamesh epic in "World History in the Light of Anthroposophy."
        This is where the greater details are given concerning how these two,
        Gilgamesh and Eabani/Enkidu, are deemed to pass on down through the
        evolutionary ages of time and space at every significant juncture,
        even to the time of the Christ on earth.

        Steve
      • Stephen Hale
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2008
          --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Mikko Nuuttila <bellmeine@...>
          wrote:

          > A sidenote: Sumer is much like the word Suomi (Finland in Finnish).
          It think it was precisely the Epic of Gilgamesh in Sumer that
          describes a bull standing in water (as one of the origins of the
          world) like in the myth about Lemminkäinen in Kalevala there is
          similarly one, I remember. I once read a comparison about those bulls
          somewhere and the opinion expressed in the article was that it was
          the same myth. Moreover, wasn't Gilgamesh a giant, for Kaleva was
          one? Perhaps there is a distant echo of linguistic similarity in the
          words Kaleva and Gilgamesh as well.

          > There are many hundreds of Sumerian words in the present day
          Hungarian language and Hungarian is related to Finnish.

          > Mikko

          The slaying of the Divine Bull of Heaven is a Gilgamesh story. Moses
          was orphaned by his loving mother, who sent the infant boy in a reed
          basket down the Nile river in order to save him from an earlier
          massacre of the kind that Joseph would hear in a dream, telling him
          to take his wife and young son into Egypt for a time. Moses was
          found by the pharaoh's daughter, and adopted into the family of
          Ramses I. Interestingly, he was found amidst the bullrushes, a form
          of papyrus existing at the time when Egypt still had swamps. Joseph
          would hear, in a dream again, that it was safe to return home to
          Bethlehem, but, in a stroke of intuition, veered off in order to play
          it safe, and went to the town of Nazareth to live. This is how the
          two Jesus boys came to live as neighbors.

          Steve
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2008
            That list was like receiving a fine fiery etheric force that
            surrounded my head like lapping tongues. I probably got further into
            the mystery of Gilgamesh there than anywhere else, as it really
            concerns the forming of the two major streams of time and space into
            the post-atlantean world. The Epic of Gilgamesh, the oldest of the
            national folk tales...

            Dear Steve,
            Can feel the impact from both of your descriptions - your summary and
            your experience on BvC. You have the ability to bring central themes
            into view with few words. This warms my heart and grounds my mind. Am
            thankful also to Robert Mason for bringing BvC to our attention - Nina