RE: [anthroposophy] The Epic of Gilgamesh

  • Mikko Nuuttila
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
      A sidenote: Sumer is much like the word Suomi (Finland in Finnish). It think it was precisely the Epic of Gilgamesh in Sumer that describes a bull standing in water (as one of the origins of the world) like in the myth about Lemminkäinen in Kalevala there is similarly one, I remember. I once read a comparison about those bulls somewhere and the opinion expressed in the article was that it was the same myth. Moreover, wasn't Gilgamesh a giant, for Kaleva was one? Perhaps there is a distant echo of linguistic similarity in the words Kaleva and Gilgamesh as well.

      There are many hundreds of Sumerian words in the present day Hungarian language and Hungarian is related to Finnish.

      Mikko

      To: anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com
      From: emeraldnina@...
      Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:50:01 +0000
      Subject: [anthroposophy] The Epic of Gilgamesh

      Hello Everyone,
      Yesterday I visited Brunnen von Christus and discovered new
      extraordinary article there. It is unknown to me if any scholar has
      reached this level of meaning and insight,with such precision and
      clarity. With abundant gratitude to BvC/Martha Keltz - Nina

      http://www.geocitie s.com/brunnenart icls/gilgamesh. html

      The Epic of Gilgamesh - He Who Saw the Deep
      By Martha Keltz

      "The cultures of the ancient Indian, Persian and Egyptian ages
      represent a descent from clairvoyant vision to the purely human vision
      of the Greek age. What begins with our own age, and must be attained
      in ever-increasing measure during the coming centuries and millennia,
      should be conceived as a reascent, a reattainment of forms of culture
      imbued with clairvoyance. The Egypto-Babylonian- Chaldean age is
      therefore to be regarded as the last stage of preparation for the
      essentially human culture of Greece." - Rudolf Steiner, Occult History.

      Cosmic and Earthly Origins, Language, Gods

      According to the Sumerian King List, the origins of Mesopotamia, in
      the geographical area of modern Iraq, date back millennia before the
      flood. Thus it appears that these prehistoric civilizations existed
      parallel with the later ages of the Atlantean epoch. The enormous
      amount of contemporary scholastic and scientific work regarding all
      aspects of Mesopotamian life, from mythology to recorded history,
      should likewise begin to cast light on the mysteries of Atlantis. As
      one delves deeply into studies of Sumerian, Akkadian, Chaldean and
      Babylonian histories, genuine understanding requires recognition of
      the Atlantean great epoch as fundamental, as vast panoramic
      background, as original source and bearer of all significant ancient
      cultures, of all spiritual wisdom. From the Atlantean epoch onwards,
      long into recorded history, water was the source of all wisdom, and
      union with the cosmos, with the spiritual world, was sought within the
      fresh, pure waters, within the sweet waters. Nowadays wisdom must be
      sought through the Spirit of the Earth.

      Chattaa joukolla uudella Messenger betalla. Lisätietoja. Klikkaa!
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2008
        > Oops. December 1910. But Steiner actually referred to these two in
        > September 1910, with the "Gospel of Matthew" lectures. Rather
        > hidden, and more involving the Old Testament figures of Moses and
        > Hermes, but still these two that would pass on down to Aristotle and
        > Alexander, and Aquinas and Lamprecht. - Steve
        >
        > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/OccultHist/OccHis_index.html

        Dear Steve,
        Will look forward to reading some of the original sources Martha noted.
        Thank-you for making it easy for me by providing a link to get started!
        Every step taken to enrich others is valued.Glad you were able to
        participate in some of the early BvC discussions. I am grateful to
        everything that contributed to the final product. Eager to learn more
        spiritual science! Nina
      • Mikko Nuuttila
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2008
          Zecharia Sitchin has written many interesting paperbacks on Sumerian topics. I recommend his books.

          Sumer sounds like Suomi (Finland in Finnish). In a comparison of I think Gilgamesh and the myth of Lemminkäinen in Kalevala, the shaman Johannes Setälä describes how in both myths a bull standing in water is regarded as one of the origins of the world. Moreover, Gilgamesh has a faint linguistic echo of the word Kaleva, the giant the name Kalevala, the place of Kaleva giants, refers to. And wasn't Gilgamesh also a giant or just huge in size?

          The Hungarian language has several hundreds of Sumerian words in its vocabulary, and Hungarian is related to Finnish.

          Mikko

          To: anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com
          From: emeraldnina@...
          Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:52:06 +0000
          Subject: [anthroposophy] Re: The Epic of Gilgamesh

          --- In anthroposophy@ yahoogroups. com, "Stephen Hale" <sardisian01@ ...>
          wrote:
          > Oops. December 1910. But Steiner actually referred to these two in
          > September 1910, with the "Gospel of Matthew" lectures. Rather
          > hidden, and more involving the Old Testament figures of Moses and
          > Hermes, but still these two that would pass on down to Aristotle and
          > Alexander, and Aquinas and Lamprecht. - Steve
          >
          > http://wn.rsarchive .org/Lectures/ OccultHist/ OccHis_index. html

          Dear Steve,
          Will look forward to reading some of the original sources Martha noted.
          Thank-you for making it easy for me by providing a link to get started!
          Every step taken to enrich others is valued.Glad you were able to
          participate in some of the early BvC discussions. I am grateful to
          everything that contributed to the final product. Eager to learn more
          spiritual science! Nina

          Messenger beta löytää vaivatta kaikki tärkeimmät ystäväsi. Klikkaa!
        • Stephen Hale
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2008
            --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <emeraldnina@...> wrote:

            > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Hale" <sardisian01@>
            > wrote:
            > > Oops. December 1910. But Steiner actually referred to these two
            in
            > > September 1910, with the "Gospel of Matthew" lectures. Rather
            > > hidden, and more involving the Old Testament figures of Moses and
            > > Hermes, but still these two that would pass on down to Aristotle
            and
            > > Alexander, and Aquinas and Lamprecht. - Steve
            > >
            > > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/OccultHist/OccHis_index.html
            >
            > Dear Steve,
            > Will look forward to reading some of the original sources Martha
            noted.
            > Thank-you for making it easy for me by providing a link to get
            started!
            > Every step taken to enrich others is valued.Glad you were able to
            > participate in some of the early BvC discussions. I am grateful to
            > everything that contributed to the final product. Eager to learn
            more
            > spiritual science! Nina

            Nina, you would/will be a valued contributor to the BvC list, as it
            is very much involved with the spirit of RS in its present position
            of instreaming inspirations from the astral world. That list was
            like receiving a fine fiery etheric force that surrounded my head
            like lapping tongues. I probably got further into the mystery of
            Gilgamesh there than anywhere else, as it really concerns the forming
            of the two major streams of time and space into the post-atlantean
            world. The Epic of Gilgamesh, the oldest of the national folk tales,
            is an assyrian legend, carried down on twelve tablets written in
            cuneiform script, and concerns the exploits of Gilgamesh, leader of
            Uruk, and Eabani (Enkidu), who is three-quarters a god to Gilgamesh
            being one half a god. This was when men were still more godlike than
            mere men, even as late as 2700 BC.

            The Epic of Gilgamesh is the tale carried on down through the ages of
            the exploits of Gilgamesh in seeking the truth of the immortality of
            the soul and wherein his search leads him to a place where an ancient
            mystery school existed. It is what he learns in this mystery school
            as a neophyte and eventual initiate that he brings back with him to
            Uruk, and passes on down as legend. It is not without significance
            that Abraham was born just 700 years later in the town just south of
            Uruk, in Ur of Chaldea.

            And Rudolf Steiner for very important reasons renews this story of
            the Gilgamesh epic in "World History in the Light of Anthroposophy."
            This is where the greater details are given concerning how these two,
            Gilgamesh and Eabani/Enkidu, are deemed to pass on down through the
            evolutionary ages of time and space at every significant juncture,
            even to the time of the Christ on earth.

            Steve
          • Stephen Hale
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2008
              --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Mikko Nuuttila <bellmeine@...>
              wrote:

              > A sidenote: Sumer is much like the word Suomi (Finland in Finnish).
              It think it was precisely the Epic of Gilgamesh in Sumer that
              describes a bull standing in water (as one of the origins of the
              world) like in the myth about Lemminkäinen in Kalevala there is
              similarly one, I remember. I once read a comparison about those bulls
              somewhere and the opinion expressed in the article was that it was
              the same myth. Moreover, wasn't Gilgamesh a giant, for Kaleva was
              one? Perhaps there is a distant echo of linguistic similarity in the
              words Kaleva and Gilgamesh as well.

              > There are many hundreds of Sumerian words in the present day
              Hungarian language and Hungarian is related to Finnish.

              > Mikko

              The slaying of the Divine Bull of Heaven is a Gilgamesh story. Moses
              was orphaned by his loving mother, who sent the infant boy in a reed
              basket down the Nile river in order to save him from an earlier
              massacre of the kind that Joseph would hear in a dream, telling him
              to take his wife and young son into Egypt for a time. Moses was
              found by the pharaoh's daughter, and adopted into the family of
              Ramses I. Interestingly, he was found amidst the bullrushes, a form
              of papyrus existing at the time when Egypt still had swamps. Joseph
              would hear, in a dream again, that it was safe to return home to
              Bethlehem, but, in a stroke of intuition, veered off in order to play
              it safe, and went to the town of Nazareth to live. This is how the
              two Jesus boys came to live as neighbors.

              Steve
            • Nina
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2008
                That list was like receiving a fine fiery etheric force that
                surrounded my head like lapping tongues. I probably got further into
                the mystery of Gilgamesh there than anywhere else, as it really
                concerns the forming of the two major streams of time and space into
                the post-atlantean world. The Epic of Gilgamesh, the oldest of the
                national folk tales...

                Dear Steve,
                Can feel the impact from both of your descriptions - your summary and
                your experience on BvC. You have the ability to bring central themes
                into view with few words. This warms my heart and grounds my mind. Am
                thankful also to Robert Mason for bringing BvC to our attention - Nina