Re: marie steiner quotation: receive the child in reverence

  • val2160
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2008
      North London Rudolf Steiner School website says Oxford, 1922. Shouldn't
      be too hard to find the lecture.-Val

      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Sagarin" <ssagarin@...>
      wrote:

      > Often quoted as Rudolf Steiner, never cited: "Receive the child in
      > reverence, educate the child in love, let the child go forth in
      > freedom." Years ago I am certain I read this in an introduction
      written
      > by Marie Steiner... Anyone out there have any leads or know the source
      > of this quotation?

    • val2160
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2008

        http://wn.rsarchive.org/Education/19220819p01.html

        GA0305 Spiritual Ground of Education IV

        If we have received the child in religious reverence, if we have educated him in love up to the time of puberty, then our proper course after this will be to leave the youth's spirit free, and to hold intercourse with him on terms of equality. We aim, — that is not to touch the spirit but to let it be awakened. When the child reaches puberty we shall best attain our aim of giving the child over to free use of his intellectual and spiritual powers if we respect the spirit and say to ourselves: you can remove hindrances from the spirit, physical hindrances and also, up to a point, hindrances of the soul. What the spirit has to learn it learns because you have removed the impediments. If we remove impediments the spirit will develop in contact with life itself even in very early youth. Our rightful place as educators is to be removers of hindrances.

        Hence we must see to it that we do not make the children into copies of ourselves, that we do not seek forcibly and tyrannically to perpetuate what was in ourselves in those who in the natural course of things develop beyond us. Each child in every age brings something new into the world from divine regions, and it is our task as educators to remove bodily and psychical obstacles out of its way; to remove hindrances so that his spirit may enter in full freedom into life. These then must be regarded as the three golden rules of the art of education, rules which must imbue the teacher's whole attitude and all the impulse of his work. The golden rules which must be embraced by the teacher's whole being, not held as theory, are: reverent gratitude to the world in the person of the child which we contemplate every day, for the child presents a problem set us by divine worlds: Thankfulness to the universe. Love for what we have to do with the child. Respect for the freedom of the child — a freedom we must not endanger; for it is to this freedom we educate the child, that he may stand in freedom in the world at our side.

      • carol
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2008
          RS: «..Thankfulness to the universe. Love for what we have to do with
          the child. Respect for the freedom of the child — a freedom we must
          not endanger; for it is to this freedom we educate the child, that he
          may stand in freedom in the world at our side.»

          Now that I have the children I raised, standing at 'my sides', I
          understand the meaning of these words, more than ever.

          I have never understood how a parent could come to forfeit unconditional
          love and will to listen and understanding, in exchange for demanding of
          their children, mere obedience to the parent's self imposed and
          unrecognized personal restrictions and materialistic preoccupations.
          I've especially experienced a feeling of silent horror in witnessing
          this happen, when it occurs within the family dynamics involving my
          own blood relations. (The closer this dynamic touches me, the more it
          moves me).

          I can't say that I can currently boast absolute freedom in terms of my
          children's ability to actively pursue a 'conscious' scientific spiritual
          education at the present moment but I do know that they are very much
          able to maintain a pretty steady footing, in their respective regions of
          soul where overall moral standing is involved, where it keeps watch
          over their overall social interactions, political visions, philosophic
          sensitivities etc.

          And, in direct relation to this, it allows ME, their 'receeding' aging
          former adult guide, to allow them to experiment with 'adult style'
          understanding and listening towards me, in pretty much the same
          unrestricted 'light' which they, themselves were raised in.

          Soul approaching soul - once a certain age is achieved, the parent/child
          dynamic gains the quality of becoming truly reciprocal.

          Carol.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2008

[...]

            Bradford comments;

            Nobody's perfect, I certainly wasn't the best Father in my opinion.  I had a later crack at being a Waldorf Teacher and it was during these years that the above statements become livingly natural, as a guardian and stand and go between the child and their angel, the teacher, a human example, of sorts, flawed, but knowing where the intuition and where the depths and lines that point to the objective foundations of the world are, not materialism, but understanding the  objective foundations of matter and spirit and the human child before me, all of them richly became clearer in temperament, family bio and the unique mystery.  And so I was taught by listening to the seed buds of intuition, answer questions that neither my parents or teachers ever answered save through some dogma..  Creative questions were asked, seed buds of intuition and higher flashes of thought, were promoted and grown in the little green house of the class room.... I had very little trouble being both warm, passionate, and objective about the actual foundations and goals of the human body, soul and fresh new  spirit before me.  There was nothing stale about the real living beings before me and my observations, thanks to Spiritual Science, would never tire of grasping richer and newer riddles that make the individual parth of the fathomless depth of Time and the i am.

            "....for the child presents a problem set us by divine worlds"  Oh but to understand and ask this question, here is a little incarnated mystery...each child before me is a star woven, time being, each with its little navigational star thinking and unfolding human destiny and karma...and the Angels are weaving in these delicate foundations and in these delicate warm relationships.  They have chosen these their parents...and these children will grow in a short 12 year Jupiter span, into bearers of thought, love, light and also must, if possible, be able to connect what they see and hear, what their skills are, to the deepest wisdom and foundations of humanness and human spirituality, that radiates as a human substance, a qualified and specialized human substance in laugh, in tone of voice, in our returned understanding and confidence, in raying out the sunlight of human warmth and vision, and wholesome intuition into the depth of being, so they see and hear such an example as a human being who does understand and who shares the depth of humaness and courage and joy as daily bread.  As daily bread as living life shaping forces arising right out of the class room.

            We learn from everyone, every human being and every human biography and each riddle and astonished person we meet, astonishes us with wonder grown richer from understanding the real living forces condensed before our gaze.  And once we get in the swing of seeing the deeper riddles that each person poses, we learn to be attentive and be prepared to understand the star rhythms and biographical time lines, the shadows, the catharsis and the trials as something even more potent and more hidden and waiting to come forth to grow the soul itself.  We never stop learning because the wonder of the astonishing riddle that the divine world has placed before us, in living mystery, before our gaze..  And our strength to see more we owe to everyone who crosses our path, and with every challenge... ours is to know and grasp the deeper blueprints of any human being and the individual karmic workings of how man and felow humans are placed in the swirling sea of Time in the ZeitGeist...and these are our lesson plans, these are the studies, the Michaelangelo sculptures in solid flesh and etheric ethnic riches, astral gifts and intuitive responses that resound like rich riddles and echos back to us...

            And one shall never, never forget some of the key realities that echo from Steiner's call of The Angels Work in the Astral Body of Man and just exactly is meant at how the Angels require us to look at each revelation of our fellow human beings before us.  It is the requirement of the Angels to Us and it is the requirement of Us to the Children, friends and karmic relations we encounter...even strangers who shall and cannot be stranger at all even in our chance encounters there is wisdom.

          • Stephen Hale
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2008
              What good is it to receive the child in reverence if the fourth cycle
              begins with, "this is what you get. Conform to the rules." This is
              what you Waldorf teachers have apparently left out of your equation.

              The fourth developmental cycle begins in the same manner as the
              fourth stage of the ancient mysteries, albeit without the astral-
              etheric alliance. Thus, Intellect and Individuality arises at the
              age of twenty-one, via the fact that the Christ Event occurred 2,000
              years ago, and this is a fact that proves that the Mystery of
              Golgotha established initiation as a "world historical process".

              Thus, we are all initiates living through the seven stages of
              initiation beginning with the 'raven' and leading to the 'sun-hero'
              configuration that denotes the special condition of the Christmas
              season. Having experienced the fruits of the recap of the fourth
              cultural epoch in the first five hundred years of the fifth, which
              denotes evolutionary advancement, we now bear two of the four
              conditions of what occurred through the wise guiding influences of
              the Hierophants of the ancient Mysteries.

              Waldorf education apparently has yet to realize that the overwhelming
              impediments to progress occur beginning in the fourth cycle, wherein
              the greater dangers of temptation and self-determination rule. This
              period they have nothing to do with; choosing instead to work
              comfortably with those three periods that are really governed by the
              divine powers.

              Waldorf apparently thinks that adults are free to go it alone and
              make it on their own; probably a skewed PoF principle concerning
              ethical individualism in the light of adult status. Wrong!

              Steve

              --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "holderlin66" <holderlin66@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              the
              > Michaelangelo sculptures in solid flesh and etheric ethnic riches,
              > astral gifts and intuitive responses that resound like rich riddles
              and
              > echos back to us...
              >
              > And one shall never, never forget some of the key realities that
              echo
              > from Steiner's call of The Angels Work in the Astral Body of Man and
              > just exactly is meant at how the Angels require us to look at each
              > revelation of our fellow human beings before us. It is the
              requirement
              > of the Angels to Us and it is the requirement of Us to the Children,
              > friends and karmic relations we encounter...even strangers who
              shall and
              > cannot be stranger at all even in our chance encounters there is

            • carol
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2008

                 I find the following,  ground breaking news – but maybe because I believe that Change is really not as pleasant as it's being made out to be.

                Words associated with Christianity, the monarchy and British history have been dropped from a leading dictionary for children.

                « ...Oxford University Press has removed words like "aisle", "bishop", "chapel", "empire" and "monarch" from its Junior Dictionary and replaced them with words like "blog", "broadband" and "celebrity". Dozens of words related to the countryside have also been culled.

                The publisher claims the changes have been made to reflect the fact that Britain is a modern, multicultural, multifaith society.

                But academics and head teachers said that the changes to the 10,000 word Junior Dictionary could mean that children lose touch with Britain's heritage....

                ...Vineeta Gupta, the head of children's dictionaries at Oxford University Press, said: "We are limited by how big the dictionary can be – little hands must be able to handle it – but we produce 17 children's dictionaries with different selections and numbers of words.

                Words taken out:

                Carol, cracker, holly, ivy, mistletoe

                Dwarf, elf, goblin

                Abbey, aisle, altar, bishop, chapel, christen, disciple, minister, monastery, monk, nun, nunnery, parish, pew, psalm, pulpit, saint, sin, devil, vicar

                Coronation, duchess, duke, emperor, empire, monarch, decade

                adder, ass, beaver, boar, budgerigar, bullock, cheetah, colt, corgi, cygnet, doe, drake, ferret, gerbil, goldfish, guinea pig, hamster, heron, herring, kingfisher, lark, leopard, lobster, magpie, minnow, mussel, newt, otter, ox, oyster, panther, pelican, piglet, plaice, poodle, porcupine, porpoise, raven, spaniel, starling, stoat, stork, terrapin, thrush, weasel, wren.

                Acorn, allotment, almond, apricot, ash, bacon, beech, beetroot, blackberry, blacksmith, bloom, bluebell, bramble, bran, bray, bridle, brook, buttercup, canary, canter, carnation, catkin, cauliflower, chestnut, clover, conker, county, cowslip, crocus, dandelion, diesel, fern, fungus, gooseberry, gorse, hazel, hazelnut, heather, holly, horse chestnut, ivy, lavender, leek, liquorice, manger, marzipan, melon, minnow, mint, nectar, nectarine, oats, pansy, parsnip, pasture, poppy, porridge, poultry, primrose, prune, radish, rhubarb, sheaf, spinach, sycamore, tulip, turnip, vine, violet, walnut, willow

                Words put in:

                Blog, broadband, MP3 player, voicemail, attachment, database, export, chatroom, bullet point, cut and paste, analogue

                Celebrity, tolerant, vandalism, negotiate, interdependent, creep, citizenship, childhood, conflict, common sense, debate, EU, drought, brainy, boisterous, cautionary tale, bilingual, bungee jumping, committee, compulsory, cope, democratic, allergic, biodegradable, emotion, dyslexic, donate, endangered, Euro

                Apparatus, food chain, incisor, square number, trapezium, alliteration, colloquial, idiom, curriculum, classify, chronological, block graph

                http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/3569045/Words-associated-with-Christianity-and-British-history-taken-out-of-childrens-dictionary.html