Transformation of Character: We're in this together

  • rosemarycmcm
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2008
      Eleven local students of anthroposophy have been re-reading How to
      Know Higher Worlds and will meet at a retreat this weekend. Some
      participants in this group have been studying anthroposophy for thirty
      years or more. The retreat will focus on the use of Buddha's 8-fold
      path and the 6 basic exercises that are detailed in Chapter 6.
      Each of us has noticed progress over the years in gaining control of
      thought, will, feeling, non-judgmentalness, positivity and equanimity,
      but with progress comes ever higher challenges to inner truthfulness.
      Above all, we have noticed how long and difficult is the path toward
      true practice of right thought, right action, right speech and the
      other virtues. A few weeks ago there was a brief exchange with the
      subject line "Sleep on it," which I propose we take seriously when
      engaged with each other through this site.

      Here are some pertinent sections from my outline of the book.

      What are the qualifications? Reverence, humility, respect for
      knowledge, truth;

      Vigorous training in devotion not by study but by living; enter into
      people's good qualities; avoid disrespectful, disparaging thoughts;
      build soul-cognizing skills.

      Listen to others suspending negativity; excise all feelings of
      superiority; unite with other beings; hear into other persons' souls;
      words of spiritual masters become spiritually alive.

      "Be silent about your perceptions, even to yourself."
      Caution: observing others may harden us; the dignity and freedom of
      the other is inviolable.

      Patience leads to quiet, subtle, inner changes.
      Longing and craving must be silenced.
      Have inner honesty, no illusions about ourselves
      Self-interested curiosity must vanish.
      Tact and delicacy in speech, consideration of others.

      Believe in and love humanity—this is the basis of all striving for the
      truth (p 103).
      Avoid all destructiveness in thoughts, words or feelings
      ..the best way to combat wickedness and imperfection is to create what
      is good and whole.
      Love for the work, not the results, alone moves us forward. (105)
      Work and reverence are the fundamental attitudes expected of us as
      esoteric students.
      Withhold judgment; we cannot learn anything where we have already
      formed a conclusion.
      Listen attentively, calmly, and reverently—the work of cognizing the
      truth is infinitely more subtle and delicate than…physical ordinary
      life.

      In solidarity with everyone's efforts on the path, Rosemary
    • carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2008
        "... In solidarity with everyone's efforts on the path, Rosemary"

        Thanks so much Rosemary, for the reassuring thought sequences ...

        Carol.

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "rosemarycmcm" <rosemarycmcm@...>
        wrote:

        > Eleven local students of anthroposophy have been re-reading How to
        > Know Higher Worlds and will meet at a retreat this weekend. Some
        > participants in this group have been studying anthroposophy for thirty
        > years or more. The retreat will focus on the use of Buddha's 8-fold
        > path and the 6 basic exercises that are detailed in Chapter 6.
        > Each of us has noticed progress over the years in gaining control of
        > thought, will, feeling, non-judgmentalness, positivity and equanimity,
        > but with progress comes ever higher challenges to inner truthfulness.
        > Above all, we have noticed how long and difficult is the path toward
        > true practice of right thought, right action, right speech and the
        > other virtues. A few weeks ago there was a brief exchange with the
        > subject line "Sleep on it," which I propose we take seriously when
        > engaged with each other through this site.
        >
        > Here are some pertinent sections from my outline of the book.
        >
        > What are the qualifications? Reverence, humility, respect for
        > knowledge, truth;
        >
        > Vigorous training in devotion not by study but by living; enter into
        > people's good qualities; avoid disrespectful, disparaging thoughts;
        > build soul-cognizing skills.
        >
        > Listen to others suspending negativity; excise all feelings of
        > superiority; unite with other beings; hear into other persons' souls;
        > words of spiritual masters become spiritually alive.
        >
        > "Be silent about your perceptions, even to yourself."
        > Caution: observing others may harden us; the dignity and freedom of
        > the other is inviolable.
        >
        > Patience leads to quiet, subtle, inner changes.
        > Longing and craving must be silenced.
        > Have inner honesty, no illusions about ourselves
        > Self-interested curiosity must vanish.
        > Tact and delicacy in speech, consideration of others.
        >
        > Believe in and love humanity—this is the basis of all striving for
        the
        > truth (p 103).
        > Avoid all destructiveness in thoughts, words or feelings
        > ..the best way to combat wickedness and imperfection is to create what
        > is good and whole.
        > Love for the work, not the results, alone moves us forward. (105)
        > Work and reverence are the fundamental attitudes expected of us as
        > esoteric students.
        > Withhold judgment; we cannot learn anything where we have already
        > formed a conclusion.
        > Listen attentively, calmly, and reverently—the work of cognizing
        the
        > truth is infinitely more subtle and delicate than…physical
        ordinary
        > life.
        >
        > In solidarity with everyone's efforts on the path, Rosemary

      • Stephen Hale
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2008

          > "... In solidarity with everyone's efforts on the path, Rosemary"
          >
          > Thanks so much Rosemary, for the reassuring thought sequences ...
          >
          > Carol.

          Let me tell you something, Carol. Some folks have had the courage to
          express their deepest and most heart-felt concerns on these "internet"
          lists for some time now. And there is a big difference between eleven
          people meeting in the flesh at a retreat, and those who have conflicted
          from time to time in this very invisible world, which is actually
          indictive of the redemption of the etheric world.

          Thus, solidarity could even be more diaphenous than we might think. I
          have a suggestion for Rosemary in her retreat experience, and that is
          to take two-hours or less in going over, line by line, the single
          lecture from May 18, 1915, entitled: Christ In Relation to Lucifer and
          Ahriman.

          The reason I believe that it would be useful for her retreat is because
          it deals with many pulsations of the time, in a weaving fashion from
          one to the other. It starts with the concept of the Representative of
          Man, which Steiner wouldn't even begin to sculpt for another two years,
          in that fateful year of 1917, meeting Edith Maryon, who gave the
          sculptor's hand to the vision.

          It then leads to many other considerations that are no less relevant
          today then they were then. It could be introduced as the interlude
          between morning and afternoon sessions on either Saturday or Sunday;
          probably Sunday best, because Michael is so central to its content.