Calendar of the Soul, Week 15

  • DRStarman2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22 8:21 AM
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a
      meditation in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind
      the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do
      this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras are well known to many anthroposophists, but the original
      Calendar in 1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on
      to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day) and the
      Moon's position in the constellations was listed for each night (for sensing
      the 'lunar' forces), as well as a list of saints and other spiritual figures
      to meditate on connected with specific days of the week, because the
      entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the cosmos and
      Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been done since
      1912 and is available nowhere else.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 1 5 *
      Ich fühle wie verzaubert
      Im Weltenschein des Geistes Weben
      Es hat in Sinnesdumpfheit
      Gehüllt mein Eigenwesen,
      Zu schenken mir die Kraft
      Die, ohnmächtig sich selbst zu geben,
      Mein Ich in seinen Schranken ist.

      I feel how enchanted
      Into World-Shining is the Spirit's Weaving:
      It has in Senses' Dimness
      Enclosed my Self-Essence
      To give me the Power:
      That, powerless myself to give
      My "I" in its boundaries is.

      In the Summer the human spirit 'loses itself' in the world, and then in
      Winter it separates itself from it again. This week this 'losing oneself' in
      the outer world is at its height: this verse is the polar opposite of the
      Christmas verse where the spirit is 'born' out of the world again, so now we
      feel enraptured by its power, which encloses us. This happens because the
      limited self does not have the power it can have by so being enchanted into
      the senses' glories. We 'fall asleep' into the world of the senses so that
      the cosmos will itself 'awaken' in us at Christmas.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the JPEG image of the sign Cancer---the Doctor said the Sun is under its
      influence from July 21st to August 3rd in our era.

      Sunday July 22nd. Moon Leo. Mary Magdalene. The astronomer Bessel born 1784.
      Monday July 23rd. Moon Leo. Apollinaris, School of Peter. Syrus, Christian
      Teacher in
      Justinian's Time.
      Tuesday July 24th. Moon Virgo. Christiana.
      Wednesday July 25th. Moon Virgo. St. Chistopher.
      Thursday July 26th. Moon Virgo. Anna.
      Friday July 27th. Moon Libra. Martha.
      Saturday July 28th. Moon Libra. 1750 Johann Seb. Bach died. 1794
      Robespierre
      executed.1804 Philosopher Ludwig Feuerbach born.

      Dr. Starman
    • dbarford@nmh.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23 8:35 AM
        I have been viewing the images of the zodiac with interest and have a
        couple of questions. Were these images drawn by Steiner? Can anyone
        speak about them a bit more? For instance, this week's image of
        Cancer - with the reflecting, mirroring from left to right, under the
        rising sun..

        Thanks,
        Debbie Barford