Calendar of the Soul, Week 10

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2001
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a meditation
      in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind the
      changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this.
      It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously experience
      the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in external Nature
      in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras (for which Steiner later gave the eurythmy forms) are well
      known to many anthroposophists, but the original Calendar in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day) and the Moon's position in the
      constellations was listed for each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces).
      There was also a list of saints and other spiritual figures to meditate on
      connected with specific days of the week, because the entrances and exits of
      human spirits are also connected with the cosmos and Time. We're presenting
      all that here each week. (This has not been done since 1912 and is available
      nowhere else, as far as I know; I have the original 'Calendar' in German and
      am translating it section by section, and 12 Zodiac images by Magaret
      Roessler after von Eckherdstein's originals).

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 10 *
      Zu sommerlichen Höhen
      Erhebt der Sonne leuchtend Wesen sich;
      Es nimmt mein menschlich Fühlen
      In seine Raumesweiten mit.
      Erahnend regt im Innern sich
      Empfindung, dumpf mir kündend,
      Erkennen wirst du einst:
      Dich fühle jetzt ein Gotteswesen.

      To summer-like Heights
      Rises the Sun’s Light-filled Essence;
      It draws my human Feeling
      Into the widths of Space with it.
      There anxiously stirs in my Inner self
      Sensation, dimly prophesying to me
      'You will realize one day:
      You feel now a God’s Essence'.

      About this week's mantra:
      Spring is when we change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer
      "nature-consciousness". In all the spring verses, the inner self was
      directed to the outer world of the senses. Last week the first theme of
      'losing oneself in the light and warmth of summer' began. This week's mantra
      continues this, as the Sun's power draws us out into the external world in
      preparation for a connection forming with the Divine, the event of this
      Sunday (St. John's Day), the highest point of the Sun.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the JPEG image of the sign Gemini (the Doctor said the Sun is under its
      influence from June 16th on in our era.)

      Sunday June 17th. Moon Aries. Montanus.
      Monday June 18th. Moon Taurus. Markus.
      Tuesday June 19th. Moon Taurus. Council of Nicea 325 A.D.
      Wednesday June 20th. Moon Gemini. Silverius.
      Thursday June 21st. Moon Gemini. New Moon. Eusebius.
      Friday June 22nd. Moon Cancer. Wilhelm von Humboldt born 1767.
      Saturday June 23rd. Moon Cancer. Colombus born 1456.

      Sunday June 24th is John the Baptist's day (St. John’s Day).
      Dr. Starman