Seeking Insight RE: Karma and Reincarnation

  • JadMcCurdy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 14, 2001
      Hi everyone,

      I am deeply interested in the understanding of past lives. I am wondering if
      anyone on the list can offer insight into forces governing karma and
      reincarnation. For example, I have a strong sense that I lived a life during
      the 19th Century. In Steiner's lecture series "Life Between Death and
      Rebirth" he suggests that the soul tends to incarnate once every one thousand
      years. However, from what I gather from my studies (Steiner and otherwise) it
      seems the soul can, in fact, return to the earth in shorter intervals if
      attracted strongly enough. For example, a woman has recently published an
      Anthroposophical book in which she reveals her previous incarnation to have
      been that of Anne Frank. This woman was born in about 1955, only eleven years
      after Frank's death.

      My heart is more than willing to accept the idea that I lived previously in
      the 19th Century, but my mind reserves a tiny sliver of skepticism.

      Can anyone shed some light on this question?

      Sincerely,

      John McCurdy
      Hamilton, ON Canada
    • john.shirtliff
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 15, 2001
        There are instructions as to how to view your past lives in volume 3 of
        'Karmic Relationships'.

        > I am deeply interested in the understanding of past lives. I am wondering
        if
        > anyone on the list can offer insight into forces governing karma and
        > reincarnation. For example, I have a strong sense that I lived a life
        during
        > the 19th Century. In Steiner's lecture series "Life Between Death and
        > Rebirth" he suggests that the soul tends to incarnate once every one
        thousand
        > years. However, from what I gather from my studies (Steiner and otherwise)
        it
        > seems the soul can, in fact, return to the earth in shorter intervals if
        > attracted strongly enough. For example, a woman has recently published an
        > Anthroposophical book in which she reveals her previous incarnation to
        have
        > been that of Anne Frank. This woman was born in about 1955, only eleven
        years
        > after Frank's death.
        >
        > My heart is more than willing to accept the idea that I lived previously
        in
        > the 19th Century, but my mind reserves a tiny sliver of skepticism.
        >
        > Can anyone shed some light on this question?
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > John McCurdy
        > Hamilton, ON Canada
        >
        > http://www.egroups.com/group/anthroposophy
        > Unsubscribe:

      • jeff auen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 15, 2001
          John,

          You are probably going to receive a great deal of response to this and its knotty area of research. I too have been interested this field for years but stand more frustrated than ever. Here is the rub: on one side, established occultists claim the 400 to 1000 year span between lives. Why shouldn't we trust them since they often exhibit clarity and discrimination in other areas of research and knowledge. But on the other hand, mountains of anecdotal evidence from Weiss to Wambaugh to Stevenson and lesser known researchers and reporters indicate much more frequent time spans between incarnations. Now the method is the madness. Can we trust hypnotic reports or interviews from normal people who do not know the intricacies of the psyche and spiritual worlds? Putting aside the comic book or tabloid type reports of obvious frauds, I was Mary or Napoleon, there are some very interesting stories that sound plausible and the time span could be 100 years or less.

          Often these reports offer psychchological insight into mysteries of illness and relationships. Are they all being deceived (by themselves) or by floating spiritual images from afar. Its hard to tell. There is a new book out by AP Press that may answer some of your questions: Living with Invisible People by Josstein Saether. He is described a long time meditator (apparently using AP methods) who broke through and "saw" many of his past lives. The website may have the book description. Of course, Steiner lectures on Karmic Relationships are a must but often do not jive with extensive research.

          As a side note, there is some sense in the 400 to 1000 year time period and the richer and more complex the life, the longer to process and create new karmic conditions. Create life circumstance involve others, a cultural time period to fit into too, etc. and  I find it very hard to accept anyone (other and in an infant death under 7 or so) coming back within 100 years or even 30. I have a friend who is 50 and did a regression some years ago.He is convinced he died as German war pilot during WW2. That would leave about 6 years between lives! I don't think so. But his regression experience was vivid and he identified with this pilot fully. He is Jewish by the way! The Anne Frank example may feel convincing to that person but its hard to accept for the above reasons. Often what can occur as I understand it, is an affinity relationship in the astral world where identities merge do due conscious or unconscious interest. One can lose oneself into a historical figure by contacting or witnessing the powerful astral events of  that person (or their astral persona) and then strongly believe one was that person. One brings the these memories into a session or they may spring forth from the soul unconscious.

          jeff auen

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 15, 2001
            Dear Jeff,

            Please don't freak. To what do you ascribe the 'baby boom' after the last two wars? There were understandably thousands of people who had not completed their tour in this part of the evolution of consciousness.

            Steiner started to show how to perceive our previous lives as early as 1902 but there was so much antipathy to this that he back pedalled.

            It was only in the last, constricted years, (after the burning of the first Goetheanum) that he finally made the statements that gave us the pointers to one of our tasks. i.e. perceiving our past lives.

            There is no 'magic' in this. By concentrated effort over a short period of time (weeks rather than years) we can experience details of our previous incarnations.

            We are requested (required) to do this work on (and for) ourselves, now, as we are incarnated. We cannot do this when we are in the spiritual world.

            Regards,

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 16, 2001
              It tough for me to freak out about anything anymore and this is mild. When one considers the entire population of the earth throughout history, it would not reach even 1 billion progressively. Most of these souls were reincarnated but there is not accounting for the billions now on earth unless we consider most of them being held out of incarnation for thousands of years and they are now here to experience this turning point in evolution.

              I find it interesting that past life review is so simple. I am not being facetious but after many years of the review experience and work , flashing images and feelings about time and places doesn't impress me much. True past life recall must be fuller and more panoramic with clear Egoic identification (much training) to that lifetime. Dream interludes can help if one prepares for it before sleep. I would be interested to hear generally (not about life specifics-too personal) about what you have accomplished and how.

            • starmann77@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 16, 2001
                JadMcCurdy@... writes:
                << I have a strong sense that I lived a life during the 19th Century. In
                Steiner's lecture series "Life Between Death and Rebirth" he suggests that
                the soul tends to incarnate once every one thousand years. However, from what
                I gather from my studies (Steiner and otherwise) it seems the soul can, in
                fact, return to the earth in shorter intervals if
                attracted strongly enough. For example, a woman has recently published an
                Anthroposophical book in which she reveals her previous incarnation to have
                been that of Anne Frank. This woman was born in about 1955, only eleven years
                after Frank's death.
                My heart is more than willing to accept the idea that I lived previously in
                the 19th Century, but my mind reserves a tiny sliver of skepticism. >>

                *******Steiner was speaking of the past---he also said the interval had
                already sped up---and also of those he experienced, people in Central Europe.
                In America and in the Eastern Hemisphere, there are numerous instances of
                rapid reincarnation, even instant. Also, the laws of karma are capable of
                infinite flexibility to suit individual needs. Those souls that needed to be
                in the twentieth century but had their lives cut short not by natural
                disaters but by Man's doing, by war, came back very quickly. Steiner said
                much more about these many adjustments in the ways of Karma than just a
                general statement about a 1000-year interval.

                Starman
              • starmann77@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 16, 2001
                  john.shirtliff@... writes:
                  << Please don't freak. To what do you ascribe the 'baby boom' after the last
                  two wars? There were understandably thousands of people who had not completed
                  their tour in this part of the evolution of consciousness. >>

                  *******I think that's absolutely right. Why were the baby boomers in the US
                  so fiercely anti-war? It's not fun to have your life plans destroyed by
                  governments, whether run by German madmen or US anti-Communists with a
                  visceral hatred of 'gooks'.
                • JadMcCurdy@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 16, 2001
                    Hi everyone,

                    I'm finding all the different points of view, bits of information and
                    personal hunches into karma and reincarnation very very helpful. To others:
                    keep them coming! I'll be sure to mull and meditate over all the responses
                    over the next few weeks.

                    Sincerely,

                    John A. McCurdy
                  • carynmayo@msn.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 20, 2001
                      Hi--

                      I am new to this list. This post caught my attention...
                      I too have done extensive past life recall--through dreams and
                      meditations, etc. and have come to realize that many of us have been
                      here more than once evey 1,000 years.

                      I, like the woman who mentioned that she was Anne Frank in a past
                      life, only to return 11 years later in this life, have had past lives
                      that are a mere 8-10 years difference from the end of one to the
                      beginning to another. Both of those lives were significant, although
                      I am still trying to find the exact significance of the later
                      lifetime.

                      To introduce myself---
                      I am a graduate of a Waldorf highschool in the USA, and just recenly
                      have returned there as an employee working in the administration. It
                      is a wonderful experience and something that is really become a great
                      importance to my life and my spiritual work. I am looking forward to
                      learning and sharing with you all.

                      Peace!
                      Caryn

                      --- In anthroposophy@y..., starmann77@a... wrote:
                      > JadMcCurdy@a... writes:
                      > << I have a strong sense that I lived a life during the 19th
                      Century. In
                      > Steiner's lecture series "Life Between Death and Rebirth" he
                      suggests that
                      > the soul tends to incarnate once every one thousand years. However,
                      from what
                      > I gather from my studies (Steiner and otherwise) it seems the soul
                      can, in
                      > fact, return to the earth in shorter intervals if
                      > attracted strongly enough. For example, a woman has recently
                      published an
                      > Anthroposophical book in which she reveals her previous incarnation
                      to have
                      > been that of Anne Frank. This woman was born in about 1955, only
                      eleven years
                      > after Frank's death.
                      > My heart is more than willing to accept the idea that I lived
                      previously in
                      > the 19th Century, but my mind reserves a tiny sliver of skepticism.
                      >>

                      > *******Steiner was speaking of the past---he also said the interval
                      had
                      > already sped up---and also of those he experienced, people in
                      Central Europe.
                      > In America and in the Eastern Hemisphere, there are numerous
                      instances of
                      > rapid reincarnation, even instant. Also, the laws of karma are
                      capable of
                      > infinite flexibility to suit individual needs. Those souls that
                      needed to be
                      > in the twentieth century but had their lives cut short not by
                      natural
                      > disaters but by Man's doing, by war, came back very quickly.
                      Steiner said
                      > much more about these many adjustments in the ways of Karma than
                      just a
                      > general statement about a 1000-year interval.
                      >
                      > Starman
                    • john.shirtliff
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 23, 2001
                        Jeff,

                        Apologies for the delay, and I haven't found precisely what I was looking for in the Karmic Relationships lectures but this is a similar approach:

                        From: Intimate workings of Karma, Vienna 9 February 1912

                        Contained in 'Esoteric Christianity and the mission of Christian Rosencreutz.,Rudolf Steiner Press London UK.

                        "We will proceed in a rather curious way. As an experiment, we will imagine that we ourselves have willed whatever may have happened to us. Suppose a loose tile from the roof of a house happened to crash down upon us. We will picture, purely by way of experiment, that this did not happen by chance, and will deliberately imagine that we ourselves climbed on that roof, loosened the tile and then ran down so quickly that we arrived just in time to be hit by it! Like the unfortunate lady who, being discontented with her lot, exposed herself to a chill and died of it! In this way, therefore we will imagine that things otherwise attributable to chance have been deliberately and carefully planned by ourselves. And we will also apply the same procedures to matters which are obviously dependent upon the faculties and qualities we happen to possess. Say some arrangement does not work out as planned. If we miss a train, for example, we shall not blame external circumstances but picture to ourselves that it was due to our own slackness. If we think in this way, as an experiment, we shall gradually succeed in creating a kind of being in our imagination, a very extraordinary being, who was responsible for these things - for a stone to have fallen upon us, for some illness, and so forth. We shall realise, of course, that this being is not ourselves; we simply picture such a being vividly and distinctly. And then, after a time, we will have a strange experience in connection with this being. We shall realise that though it is a creature we have only conjured up, yet we cannot free ourselves from him nor from the thought of him, and strange to say he does not stay as he is; he becomes alive and transforms himself within us. And then, when he has gone through this transformation, we get the impression that he is really there within us, And then we become more and more certain that we ourselves have had something to do with the things we constructed in imagination. There is no suggestion whatever that we once actually did them; but such thoughts do, nevertheless, correspond in a certain way with something we have done. We shall tell ourselves: 'I have done this and that, and I am now having to suffer the consequences'. This is a very good exercise for unfolding in the life of feeling a kind of memory of earlier incarnations. The soul seems to feel: 'I myself was there and prepared these things for myself'.

                        You will readily understand that is it not easy to awaken the memory of previous incarnations. For just think what mental effort is required to recall something only recently forgotten; genuine mental effort is required. Experiences which occurred in previous incarnations have sunk into the depths of forgetfulness and much has to be done if they are to be remembered. One such exercise has just been described."

                        Regards,

                        John

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 23, 2001

                          From: Intimate workings of Karma, Vienna 9 February 1912

[...]

                          Good example. I recall RS using this in several places to illustrate the nature of our responsibility in karmic events. But notice the train example. Its our present day "slothfulness" that creates the missed train not some past karmic influence ( though at times this can be the case. I was driving once and in a particular mood of recalling something of the past day interactions with someone which in turn took my attention off the road. At that time, 1985 or so, I used to drive fairly fast on this local road but was slowed down by 5 or 10 mph. Just as I approached a familiar intersection, someone went through the stop sign and crossed the street just where I would have been had I been driving normally. I knew in an instant that this was no mistake but a inner protective process had prevented me from being hit. I am sure others have there own stories.)

                          It surely seems that we create circumstances freely now and not just as the result of past lives. I still think we are woefully unprepared for truly knowing the details of past lives and karma as it would freeze us in time- being unable to deal with the positive or negative events about to happen. Just recently a young boy was riding his bike and for not reason (provocation) was attacked by 3 pit bulls and mangled beyond recognition. He is still clinging to life. For us to say, it was karmic may be correct but there is so much more to consider. And such an explanation would be shot down and brushed aside as an insult to conventional thinking. Do accidents occur??

                          As for recall. I agree. Free floating access to these records just doesn't make sense. We can't even recall what we did during period of time five years ago less 500 hundreds. Vivid pictures of historical events does not preclude that this was us at that time. Where do these pictures come from? Good question.

                          Jeff

                        • john.shirtliff
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 26, 2001
                            Jeff,

                            It is my understanding of Steiner that it is our task or duty to get on with the exercises necessary to connect in waking day consciousness with the spiritual world. The efforts required are, of necessity, strenuous, but no more than physical exercise.

                            Regards,

                            John.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 26, 2001
                              It is my understanding of Steiner that it is our task or duty to get on with the exercises necessary to connect in waking day consciousness with the spiritual world. The efforts required are, of necessity, strenuous, but no more than physical exercise.

                              Regards,

                              John.

                              John,

                              How I wish this were true. We have spoken about this "strenuous" path before in other groups but suffice it to say, I don't think its just about effort and duty or persistence. This recommendation can taken so glibly, so matter of fact, that it belies the real issue -
                              total psycho-spiritual transformation and increased sensitivity/contact with psychic and spiritual forces around us and within. This is a major failing point in AP-we lack mentors  who have direct experience and who can assist people in the long and slow process of unfoldment. Though much takes place below consciousness for many, there are times and stages where they intrude and impact on daily life. One is on their own in dealing with these issues.Study groups do not truly deal with this. Reading metaphysics or discussing obtuse passages will not help. Maybe the new psychology movement within AP will address this as other paths have. And yes,we are encouraged to persist in our work but its nice to see some progress or shift in our soul life that may indicate that results are coming about.

                              jeff
                              -----

                              -----