trance states

  • bscaro@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8 4:41 AM
      Hello all

      I am seeking some information on useful meditations and other
      practices which might assist in achieving a trance state in a social
      atmosphere. Someone mentioned to me that Steiner does go into this
      aspect of meditation- or maybe it was another writer, I'm not sure.

      I first became aware of the potential of these states when dancing to
      a favourite DJ's music at a Sydney night club. The music was heavy
      dance music, fairly repetitive and probably similar to tribal rhythms
      used in various cultures. I think the style is actually
      called 'trance'.

      The state would descend after 40 minutes or so of dancing, and was
      one of elation and total comfort in my surroundings- one loses
      awareness of time- though it seems to pass very slowly whilst in such
      a state. I'm a person who can be quite uncomfortable socially and so
      the states were quite memorable.

      On a purely mundane level, achieving such a state was great because
      you could have a fantastic time out without any substances- beyond a
      couple of beers to replenish fluids - and then return home to sleep
      well early in the morning. The feeling of well-being would last
      well into the next day, despite the lack of sleep. I'm a person who
      only sleeps 5-6 hours a night anyway and am a confirmed night owl.

      I think the state can be medically explained by endorphins, though
      the ability to extend the feeling of well being to others perhaps is
      not so easily explicable. There are Buddhist meditations which
      involve such visualisations as well.

      Now, I don't want to turn this into a discussion about the morality
      of drug use, but suffice to say that achieving an equivalent state
      using chemicals involves teeth grinding, some dehydration and makes
      the next couple of days fairly moody. Not to mention the cost and I
      guess the safety aspects.

      So I'd prefer to be able to find practices and techniques that would
      enable me to reach that state. My motivations are purely mundane but
      at least it is a 'genuine' feeling that I can access doing something
      I enjoy, and if it helps others then so much the better . . .

      Peace profound

      Fr Scaro