Re: Steiner's alleged drinking, again

  • Stephen Hale
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2008
      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason
      <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

      > RE an old topic:
      >
      > I was quickly scanning a new posting at the
      > eLib, and I ran across something that seems
      > to definitely nail the rumor that RS got
      > rid of his allegedly atavistic clairvoyance
      > by drinking alcohol. Here he says plainly
      > that he never lost his clairvoyance.
      >
      > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/AnthroMove/19231210p01.html
      >
      > "I never lost my connection with the spiritual world. It was always
      there. I mention this because it is the background against which I
      speak: the spiritual world accepted as self-evident, and human beings
      on earth perceived as images of their real existence as spiritual
      beings within the spiritual world."

      > RM

      It is, of course, important that we differentiate between Steiner's
      alleged attempts to quell his natural clairvoyance when he first went
      to college, and what he says here; some 44 years later, in the midst
      of the year that began with the fire that decimated the Goetheanum,
      and ended with the CC of 1923.

      At eighteen, it was a matter of socialization. Steiner, for the
      first time, had the chance to get involved with members of his own
      cultural group, and this was important to him. Drinking was a party
      hi-jinx kind of thing, acceptable even back then, and so Rudi drank,
      just to be friends, and saw how it altered things toward the sense
      perceptible.

      Now, knowing that he lived rather entirely in the realm of spiritual
      realities at the time, he saw a means to enter into the three-
      dimensional world rather quickly, in order to conform to his
      schoolmates perception of the world. And this was, in fact, what he
      wanted to do.

      Then, he met Kogutski on the train, as previously explained, and
      received the solace that he needed for the future course that is
      mentioned as his "never lost connection with the spiritual world" on
      June 10, 1923.