Ascension

  • dbarford@nmh.org
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2001
      I have recently caught up with this list again, and have enjoyed the
      posts on the soul calendar. They inspire me to ask the following
      question:

      Is anyone able to venture an explanation of how first the time
      intervals for the Christmas season, and then the time intervals
      Easter festival get extended and transformed into Whitsun?

      What I mean is this - One can look at Advent as the precursor to
      Christmas and the Holy Nights/ Epiphany - coming out the other side,
      and 4 weeks later is Candlemas or the Feast of the Purification of
      the Virgin, which completes the Christmas season. The precursor to
      Easter is Ash Wednesday and Lent - 40 days prior to Easter.
      Ascension Day (today) is 40 days after Easter. And 50 days after
      Easter is Whitsun or Pentecost. What is the significance of first 30
      days, then 40, then 50? I have a very strong sense of experiencing
      living through the whole of each season this year, one into the
      other, and it seems a remarkable progression, yet I cannot put my
      finger on the significance of the time frames..

      Thanks for your collective thoughts..
      Debbie Barford
    • eurythmy
      Message 2 of 3 , May 25, 2001
        25 05 2001 (Ascention + 1)
        Dear Debbie and all,

        Good observation! Could you tell a little about the moods of those experiences through the seasons? Or any other thing that could put your question with a context tother than mathematical. Although I love maths.
        Going deeper with the Calendar of the soul, Steiner starts the eurythmy forms cycle at Advent! Like your post.
        The 40 days is a classic biblical time frame for me, see also the fourty  days in the wilderness. I wondered often mused about it. Nine times 40 makes a year. Where are all those 40's? Many can be seen before and after man festivals. Advent is also 40 days before the kings as candlemas is 40 after the sheppered. Also Martinmas etc. It is not all too ridgid as Easter is flexible, so are other elements in the calendar. It depends where your main anchor is.
        For me it goes much before and after festival. So 10 days before Whitsun is Ascention. 10 days in a room, in a physical space before it is transformed by Fire of Spirit.

        Well I have to go to daily tasks now.
        So to another time.
        Yours
        Franky

        > I have recently caught up with this list again, and have enjoyed the
        > posts on the soul calendar.  They
        inspire me to ask the following
        > question:
        >
        > Is anyone
        able to venture an explanation of how first the time
        > intervals for the
        Christmas season, and then the time intervals
        > Easter festival get
        extended and transformed into Whitsun?

        > What I mean is this -
        One can look at Advent as the precursor to
        > Christmas and the Holy
        Nights/ Epiphany - coming out the other side,
        > and 4 weeks later is
        Candlemas or the Feast of the Purification of
        > the Virgin, which
        completes the Christmas season.  The precursor to
        > Easter is Ash
        Wednesday and Lent - 40 days prior to Easter.
        > Ascension Day
        (today) is 40 days after Easter.  And 50 days after
        > Easter is
        Whitsun or Pentecost.  What is the significance of first 30
        > days,
        then 40, then 50?  I have a very strong sense of experiencing

        living through the whole of each season this year, one into the
        > other,
        and it seems a remarkable progression, yet I cannot  put my
        > finger
        on the significance of the time frames..

        > Thanks for your
        collective thoughts..

      • starmann77@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 25, 2001
          dbarford@... writes:
[...]

          *******I'd be interested in hearing other peoples' thoughts on this too. I've
          never been able to figure out why that '40 days' period in the Bible. There's
          no astronomical period of 40 days that I've ever found, so it doesn't appear
          to have any 'cosmic' origin. The only thing I've found from experience is
          that after the passing of winter the body wants to purify itself of toxins in
          the flesh stored in winter, and Lent is set as a season of fasting right when
          the body wants to purify. Also, the ego is at its strongest in this time, so
          the denial of the ego---denying it pleasure---tames it. Also I found out
          that, to the early Christians, Easter was the only time new people could be
          baptized into the Church and symbolically have their past sin washed away, so
          Lent was the time that those who had heard the Word and responded to it and
          wished to become full Christians would be sent to study with an elder and
          prepare for this. Why 40 days instead of an even number of weeks, though, I
          have no idea. (Of course, the period of 40 days is in the story of Noah and
          many other places in scripture.)

          Then the Christ is said to have stayed with the disciples for 40 days,
          until today, Ascension, and on the 50th day the dove descended on them in the
          Upper Room. 'Pentecost' means 50 days. But I don't know where either the 40
          or the 50 would come from as a time unit.

          Steiner connected Pentecost or White Sunday (Whitsun) with St. John's Day
          and thus midsummer, though they're a few weeks apart---the time when we are
          most drawn 'out there', the astral body is drawn up to the heavens. All the
          midsummer rituals in the Northern Hemisphere have to do with fire 'rising
          up', visions gained by 'ascending' (like the Plains Indians 'Sundance'), and
          we see this in the Soul-Calendar verses too.

          Dr. Starman