Calendar of the Soul Week 6

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21 7:48 PM
      Sorry to be late with this week's post.
      The mantra for this week in German and English:

      * M A N T R A #6 *

      Es ist erstanden aus der Eigenheit

      Mein Selbst und findet sich

      Als Weltenoffenbarung

      In Zeit- und Raumeskräften;

      Die Welt, sie zeigt mir überall

      Als göttlich Urbild

      Des eignen Abbilds Wahrheit.

      There has arisen out of my Egohood

      My Self and finds itself

      As World-Revelation

      In Time- and Space-forces;

      The World, it points out to me everywhere

      As godly Archetypal picture

      My own Image's truth.

      For those new to what the 'Calendar' is: the cycle of the year can be a
      meditation in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind
      the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do
      this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      About this week's mantra:
      Spring is when we change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer
      "nature-consciousness". Verse 1 (we always start at Easter) spoke of how the
      Sun and Growth in Nature spoke to our senses, joining us to the Spirit that
      called forth new life; verse 2, how our thinking lost its separate existence
      by thus joining with the senses; in week 3, the true "I" within us 'spoke' to
      the World, forgetful of the 'everyday' self: "In you, I penetrate to my True
      Essence"; in week 4, Sensation spoke back to us, 'I feel the Essence of my
      Essence', and this inner essence felt in the Light added warmth to thinking,
      joining the spirit to the outer world; and week 5's mantra continued the
      meditation on Light weaving in outer Space bearing the fruit of new creation,
      and in this creating of the Gods is the essence of our Soul, freed from our
      single being and expanded into the whole world. This week's mantra continues
      this experiencing of the Self apart from our everyday Egohood, and we find
      this True Self reflected in the whole world around us, as the world shows us
      an image of ourselves as we truly are.

      The 52 mantras (for which Steiner later gave the eurythmy forms) are well
      known to many anthroposophists, but the original Calendar in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day) and the Moon's position in the
      constellations was listed for each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces).
      There was also a list of saints and other spiritual figures to meditate on
      connected with specific days of the week, because the entrances and exits of
      human spirits are also connected with the cosmos and Time.

      We're presenting all of that here each week. This has not been done since
      1912 and is available nowhere else, as far as I know. I have the original
      'Calendar' in German and am translating it section by section, and I also
      have the 12 Zodiac images done by Magaret Roessler (after Imma von
      Eckherdstein's originals).

      Sunday May 20th. Moon Aries. Columbus died 1506. John Stuart Mill born 1806.

      Monday May 21st. Moon Aries. Albrecht Dürer born 1471.

      Tuesday May 22nd. Moon Taurus. New Moon. Richard Wagner born 1813.

      Wednesday May 23rd. Moon Taurus. Savanarola burnt at the stake 1498.

      Thursday May 24th. Moon Gemini. Copernicus died 1543. Lord Bulwer-Lytton
      born 1803.

      Friday May 25th. Moon Gemini. Laying of the Foundation Stone of the
      Strassbourg
      Monastery 1277.

      Saturday May 26th. Moon Cancer. The Venerable Bede (famous English monk of
      the 8th
      century).

      Dr. Starman