Re: A Moral Reckoning

  • Stephen Hale
    Message 1 of 111 , Aug 3, 2008
      This is the nominalistic view of the solar eclipse of August 1st.
      And as far as it goes, yes, it cannot be disputed. It is entirely
      rational-logical in its observation and measurements from the
      standpoint of extant natural scientific thinking and description.

      But from the occult standpoint, i.e., spiritual science, we should
      really try to look more closely at and into the reality of what has
      just occurred. On July 22, 2009, July 11, 2010, and November 13,
      2012 total eclipses will occur again, and by that time the entire
      globe of the earth will have experienced the effects of what is
      actually the full presentation of the Eighth Sphere (new moon)across
      its circumference. By that time I would hope that we would know and
      accept substantially more than we do now.

      In a post from July 29th I offered something to ponder and maybe
      puzzle over, and it would be good to look at it again now and ask
      what it means:

      I thought it was a good exercise in nominalistic vs. realistic
      thinking. So my question is: what is the illusion and what is the
      reality? And based on the presentation below, has natural science
      explained all there is to explain concerning a solar eclipse. Well,
      I suppose from there nominalistic standpoint the answer is yes.

      But what more can be added through spiritual science?

      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "holderlin66" <holderlin66@...>
      > A total eclipse of the Sun has been witnessed in Canada, Russia and
      > China, casting dramatic shadows and allowing a glimpse of the Sun's
      > outer atmosphere.
      > The Moon's shadow arced over the Earth as the lunar body passed
      > between our planet and its star.
      > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7536438.stm
      > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7536438.stm>
      > In all, the path of darkness covered about 10,200km (6,300 miles).
      > Russia saw the longest full eclipse, for two minutes, 27 seconds, at
      > 1021 GMT - but the UK and most of Europe experienced just a partial
      > eclipse.
      > [0] [0]
      > /html/1.stm> The eclipse path covers 10,200km (6,300 miles) [0]
      > [0] Enlarge Image
      > /html/1.stm>
      > "Totality" began at sunrise at 0921 GMT in Queen Maud Gulf off
      > Island in the territory of Nunavut, Canada.
      > The instant of greatest eclipse occurred at 1021 GMT close to the
      > Russian city of Nadym, before totality came to an end at 1121 GMT
      > the Chinese city of Xi'an, in Shaanxi province.
      > Tourists and amateur and professional astronomers flocked to towns
      > the best viewing locations along the path of totality.
      > In Novosibirsk, Siberia's cultural and scientific capital, more than
      > 5,000 foreign tourists were expected to show up in the city.
      > China experienced the eclipse just a week before the opening
      ceremony of
      > Beijing's Olympic Games.
      > Chinese TV was due to broadcast the eclipse live, with crowds of
      > gathered along the Silk Road, a fabled trading route through the
      > country's western deserts.
      > Eclipses were once viewed as unlucky events in China, but the
      > media had rebranded the event as "the Olympic eclipse", reports
      > hoping for good fortune ahead of the sporting jamboree.
      > Moonshadow
      > The eclipse allowed astronomers a glimpse of the Sun's corona - its
      > outer atmosphere of super-heated gases. The area is usually
      > to see because of the bright light of the Sun, but is visible
      during a
      > total eclipse as the Sun's light is obscured.
      > Total solar eclipses usually take place about once every 18 months,
      > always at new Moon - when the lunar body sits directly between the
      > and the Earth.
      > Astrophysicist Fred Espenak talks through a Nasa animation of a
      > eclipse
      > However, they do not happen every new Moon. The lunar orbit is
      > tilted to that of our planet and therefore the Moon's shadow often
      > misses the Earth.
      > The Moon's shadow has two parts: an umbra and a penumbra.
      > The umbra is the "inner" part of the Moon's shadow, and people
      > this zone will witness the full glory of the eclipse.
      > The penumbra is the Moon's faint "outer" shadow. It will only give
      > surface viewers a partial eclipse.
      > [Partial eclipse, London, 1 August 2008 (Pic: Jason Korsner)]
      The Sun
      > was partially eclipsed over London on Friday morning
      > In London, where the Moon's disc took its biggest bite out of the
      Sun at
      > 1016 BST (0916 GMT), a maximum of 12% of the star was blotted out.
      > Conditions were better further north. In Lerwick in the Shetland
      > the Moon obscured as much as 36% of the Sun.
      > Astronomical groups reminded the public that viewing the Sun without
      > protective equipment - even in partial eclipse phases - could
      result in
      > a retinal burn and permanent eye damage.
      > Viewing the Sun's harsh light should only be done through proper
      > telescopes or glasses, or through a pinhole projection system.
      > [A solar eclipse can be seen above visitors at the Jiayuguan Fort
      > the Great Wall of China]
    • Stephen Hale
      Message 111 of 111 , Sep 6, 2008

        > I still find that `psychic life` development implies engaging the forces
        > of the inner soul towards astral/devachanic inner
        > perception/clairvoyance. A condition of sleep implies astral
        > experience.
        > The second stream, requires an extroverted application. Experience is
        > drawn outward- to face the world, all things manifest, to witness form
        > and then further on, the `geometric` principal of astral determination
        > . To view the workings of the living world is first and foremost to
        > witness etheric forces furnishing mobility and multiplicity of form.
        > Pride suggests a meeting with the outside manifest world. The pupil had
        > at first, to disregard his inner `astral' experience in order
        > to more solidly greet the manifest world- which is why I associated the
        > body/etheric to this latter type of initiation
        > I see that there are different ways of looking at it- or would it be
        > more correct to say- there`s a paradox to this.

        In this [second] kind of initiation the disciple's soul was drawn out of his inner being, whereby he could participate in the events of the cosmos and raise himself to the soul-spiritual essence permeating the universe. His experience differed markedly from ordinary contemplation of nature because he felt he lived within the very soul of the universe. In not a bad but a good sense, he was beside himself. He was, though one hesitates to use this word because it has taken on an unpleasant connotation, in ecstasy. Upon achieving this union with the cosmos he could say to himself that through living in the universe and through experiencing its most intimate soul-spiritual forces, he had come to realize that everywhere the final goal of the cosmos is the creation of man. Did man not exist, the whole creation could not fulfill its end, because he was the meaning of the cosmos.

        Carol, it is not possible to remove the Etheric Body from the physical body without death occurring immediately.  Therefore, for this reason alone the second type of ancient mystery stream concerns the Astral Body.  Consider all that the lecture:  The Work of the Angels in Man's Astral Body gives as a point of further reference for what now takes place in the state of dreamless sleep.   Dream sleep involves the etheric body and its close union with the physical body.

        During sleeping we interact with the spiritual worlds when the astral-ego organization leaves the etheric-physical organization and engages its spiritual communion in the astral and higher devachanic realms.  The ego, as such in our present development, is a silent witness to the work of the astral body in receiving the impressions of the angelic hierarchies, which are then carried down into the etheric body.  Dreaming is an etheric activity conducted in middle devachan by the astral body, in which our past lives are traveled through and mixed in with the recent physical body experiences of the present life.  Chaos is the general order of the dream experience, which is countered by the objectively ordered pictures of the waking conscious (relative) experience.  Waking up from a dream is felt entirely in the etheric body as a present-moment experience of consciousness.  As soon as the outer world is detected this consciousness sinks down into the subconscious and the dream is forgotten in favor of relative waking consciousness.

        Practice can allow one to develop the ability to remain within the present-moment consciousness when first awakening as a meditative exercise.  Spiritual science cultivates this desire to remain within the fold of the waking dream experience wherein many truths of independently investigated subjects are intuited and further inspired into imaginative content.

        But as soon as the eyes and ears turn to the sense world, a buffer is created between the environment and the previously felt inner domain, and that which had just been on the surface sinks down into the famed "subconsciousness" of Freud.