Re: [anthroposophy] forms for the Calendar

  • Wayne FISCHER
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15 1:06 AM
      Hello Dr. Starmann,

      I'll look for the color/tone chart info that i've got. Ya, it might be hay-wire because i've never really that far into, but we'll see what we see.

      As for judging Tom Mellet's character I cannot speak, although I have enjoyed his English translations of the Calendar. And I've heard a few rumors about Herr Steiner goozling a few beers here and there, not to mention his snuff habit, but then, he did come out of those habits later in life. And I would think Herr Steiner would appreciate Rap for it's unique use of language and would probably see it as part of the whole evolution of American consciousness, with Europe following in tow.

      Until another moment,

      Wayne

      >>> starmann77@... 05/13/01 21:13 PM >>>
    • Jo Ann Schwartz
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15 8:08 AM
        --- Wayne FISCHER wrote:
        > I have also heard that Tom Mellet had written music for the Calendar but
        > when I wrote him about it, he never responded. I heard him mention in a
        > listserve five years ago or so that he had performed the music and the
        > Calendar at a place in California once.

        Hi Wayne,

        While at Steiner College in the early 1980's, Tom Mellett collaborated
        with William Jay Sydeman, a fairly well-known modern composer, to set the
        Soul Calendar to music. Tom provided translations of the Calendar into
        English and Jay composed a choral piece for 4 voices for each verse. All
        52 verses were set to music by 1983.

        In mid-February 1993, this composition received its "world premiere" in
        Roseville, CA -- a town about 10 miles north of Sacramento. The piece was
        performed by a 6 or 7 piece chamber orchestra, a large college choir, and
        a eurythmist. Two weeks later, another performance was held in San
        Francisco. Jay wasn't able to rehearse every single verse with the
        choir, so for about ten scattered verses, there was instrumental music
        playing behind Tom as he recited the verse.

        Jay recorded both performances and an FM station in SF was reportedly
        interested in broadcasting part of the work -- it was quite lengthy, as
        you might imagine -- but it is unclear whether that actually happened.

        As far as I know, Jay is still out in northern California, and I imagine
        he still has the music somewhere in his files.

        Warmly,
        JoAnn

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Wayne FISCHER
        Message 3 of 5 , May 17 12:04 AM
          JoAnn,

          Thanks for the wonderful information JoAnn. Maybe in the Fall I'll try to contact him. It would be great to put a performance like that where I'm from, but it'll take a bit of work - - something like 15 years worth! I'd love to learn to play the compositions though for when the time is ripe.

          May you have the best of summers,

          Wayne Fischer