forms for the Calendar

  • Wayne FISCHER
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2001
      Dr. Starrman,

      There is a book out there that has all the orginal eurhythmic forms drawn out by Steiner with the color signs as side notations. I got the book through the Steiner Library in the US, so I assume you could too. It is nice being able to see the patterns on paper to get an idea of the patterns and Franky's descriptions have been very nice too.

      I did not see any tonality notes in the book; however, there is a correspondence between the frequency of colors and tones so one could play those tones while the colors are changing. If you want I can provide the correspondence chart.

      I have also heard that Tom Mellet had written music for the Calendar but when I wrote him about it, he never responded. I heard him mention in a listserve five years ago or so that he had performed the music and the Calendar at a place in California once.

      Anyway, I think it might be nice to add the sound of the changing colors to the set, best of luck.

      Wayne Fischer
    • starmann77@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2001
        wfische@... writes:
        << Dr. Starman,
        There is a book out there that has all the orginal eurhythmic forms drawn out
        by Steiner with the color signs as side notations. I got the book through
        the Steiner Library in the US, so I assume you could too. It is nice being
        able to see the patterns on paper to get an idea of the patterns and Franky's
        descriptions have been very nice too.
        I did not see any tonality notes in the book; however, there is a
        correspondence between the frequency of colors and tones so one could play
        those tones while the colors are changing. If you want I can provide the
        correspondence chart. >>

        *******Well, which one? I've seen so many different systems of supposed
        correspondences of tones and colors---not to mention with planets, signs,
        etc.---that I'll be skeptical. But I'll look at it.

        >>I have also heard that Tom Mellet had written music for the Calendar but
        when I wrote him about it, he never responded. I heard him mention in a
        listserve five years ago or so that he had performed the music and the
        Calendar at a place in California once.<<

        *******Oh boy, I wouldn't want to follow whatever was set up by a guy who
        misrepresents Steiner so far as to say alcohol is the Steiner-approved way to
        clairvoyance and all the other drivel I heard him spout. He's a real nut. I
        wouldn't be surprised if it was set to rap "music". ;->

        Dr. Starman
      • Wayne FISCHER
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2001
          Hello Dr. Starmann,

          I'll look for the color/tone chart info that i've got. Ya, it might be hay-wire because i've never really that far into, but we'll see what we see.

          As for judging Tom Mellet's character I cannot speak, although I have enjoyed his English translations of the Calendar. And I've heard a few rumors about Herr Steiner goozling a few beers here and there, not to mention his snuff habit, but then, he did come out of those habits later in life. And I would think Herr Steiner would appreciate Rap for it's unique use of language and would probably see it as part of the whole evolution of American consciousness, with Europe following in tow.

          Until another moment,

          Wayne

          >>> starmann77@... 05/13/01 21:13 PM >>>
        • Jo Ann Schwartz
          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2001
            --- Wayne FISCHER wrote:
            > I have also heard that Tom Mellet had written music for the Calendar but
            > when I wrote him about it, he never responded. I heard him mention in a
            > listserve five years ago or so that he had performed the music and the
            > Calendar at a place in California once.

            Hi Wayne,

            While at Steiner College in the early 1980's, Tom Mellett collaborated
            with William Jay Sydeman, a fairly well-known modern composer, to set the
            Soul Calendar to music. Tom provided translations of the Calendar into
            English and Jay composed a choral piece for 4 voices for each verse. All
            52 verses were set to music by 1983.

            In mid-February 1993, this composition received its "world premiere" in
            Roseville, CA -- a town about 10 miles north of Sacramento. The piece was
            performed by a 6 or 7 piece chamber orchestra, a large college choir, and
            a eurythmist. Two weeks later, another performance was held in San
            Francisco. Jay wasn't able to rehearse every single verse with the
            choir, so for about ten scattered verses, there was instrumental music
            playing behind Tom as he recited the verse.

            Jay recorded both performances and an FM station in SF was reportedly
            interested in broadcasting part of the work -- it was quite lengthy, as
            you might imagine -- but it is unclear whether that actually happened.

            As far as I know, Jay is still out in northern California, and I imagine
            he still has the music somewhere in his files.

            Warmly,
            JoAnn

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
          • Wayne FISCHER
            Message 5 of 5 , May 17, 2001
              JoAnn,

              Thanks for the wonderful information JoAnn. Maybe in the Fall I'll try to contact him. It would be great to put a performance like that where I'm from, but it'll take a bit of work - - something like 15 years worth! I'd love to learn to play the compositions though for when the time is ripe.

              May you have the best of summers,

              Wayne Fischer