The Calendar of the Soul, Week 4

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5 9:21 PM
      For those new to what the 'Calendar' is: the cycle of the year can be a
      meditation in itself, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do
      this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      These 52 mantras (for which Steiner later gave the eurythmy forms) are
      well known to many anthroposophists, but the original Calendar in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos into you in the day) and the Moon's position
      in the constellations was listed for each night (for sensing the 'lunar'
      forces). There was also a list of saints and other spiritual figures to
      meditate on connected with specific days of the week.

      We're presenting all of that here each week. This has not been done since
      1912 and is available nowhere else AFAIK. I have the original Calendar in
      German and am translating it section by section, as well as the 12 Zodiac
      images done by Magaret Roessler (after Imma von Eckherdstein's originals).

      * * *
      The mantra in the original German:
      * M A N T R A # 4 *
      Ich fühle Wesen meines Wesens:
      So spricht Empfindung,
      Die in der sonnerhellten Welt
      Mit Lichtesfluten sich vereint;
      Sie will dem Denken
      Zur Klarheit Wärme schenken
      Und Mensch und Welt
      In Einheit fest verbinden.

      in English:
      “I feel the essence of my essence”:
      So speaks Sensation,
      That in the sun-illumined World
      With flooding light becomes one;
      It will join warmth
      To Thinking‘s Clarity,
      And Man and World
      In oneness bind fast together.

      In the Northern Hemisphere, the spring is the time when we change from
      an inner "self-consciousness" to outer "nature-consciousness". Verse 1 (we
      always start at Easter) spoke of how the Sun and the Growth in the outer
      world of Nature spoke to our senses and joined us to the Spirit that calls
      forth the new life; verse 2 was how our thinking lost its separate existence
      by joining with what the senses revealed. Last week continued the theme of
      'forgetting oneself': the true "I" within us 'spoke' to the World-All,
      forgetful of the everyday 'self': "In you, I penetrate to my True Essence".
      This week's verse continues to speak of joining with the senses, in
      particular with the Light increasing in the springtime: in uniting our senses
      with it, now Sensation speaks back to us, 'I feel the Essense of my Essence'.
      We find the essence of the inner self in the external Light. This adds warmth
      to our thinking, so that our human spirit feels joined to the outer world.
      * * * * * * *

      Below are some of the spiritual figures and events Steiner listed for this
      week, along with the position of the Moon in the constellations each night.
      Attached to this post is the zodiac image for Taurus: the Doctor said the Sun
      is under the influence of Taurus from May 1st to June 15th in our era.

      Sunday May 6th. Moon Libra. John, writer of the Gospel and the Apocalypse.
      Monday May 7th. Moon Skorpius. Full Moon. Gottfried.
      Tuesday May 8th. Moon Skorpius. The Prophet Micah. H.P. Blavatsky died 1891.
      Wednesday May 9th. Moon Sagittarius. Schiller died 1805.
      Thursday May 10th. Moon Sagittarius. Gordian.
      Friday May 11th. Moon Capricornus. Otto von Guernicke (inventor of the
      air-pump)
      died 1686.
      Saturday May 12th. Moon Capricornus. Pancratius.

      Dr. Starman
    • eurythmy
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9 5:37 AM
        Dear Dr Starman,

        I do appreciate your insight on the lighting, that's why I send it early. I
        missed it this week. Can you help me again?

        Yours,
        Franky

        Message 3 of 3 , May 9 7:23 AM
          "eurythmy" <eurythmy@...> writes:
          << Dear Dr Starman,
          I do appreciate your insight on the lighting, that's why I send it early. I
          missed it this week. Can you help me again?
          Yours,
          Franky

          *******Well, I'm glad to hear it. I was afraid that it might be regarded as mere intellectual playing with something---eurythmy---which should be experienced through movement and the active picturing of the form and colour. Commenting on the eurythmy form of the Soul-Calendar and indications on colour and movement within that is so much less real tham performing it, I know, since I had 7 years of eurythmy, 2 full-time at the Waldorf Institute, and then worked as a Speech person for a number of eurythmists.

          Well, all I can sense is that the predominant mood of yellow has to do with sensation (Empfindung) this week, of Light and the Sun especially. The red lighting below is the will-filled human being. When the lighting goes to red above and red below, this is the "mit Lichtesfluten sich vereint", becoming one with the flowing light. The transformation by the end to green is the picture of "Mensch und Welt in einheit fest verbinden", Man and World in Oneness fast bound together.

          The detailed movements you describe one would have to really work with in eurythmy to understand, and I won't even attempt to here. Until your posting these descriptions of the forms, all I knew was that Beth Dunn-Fox told me that there were forms for all 52: but I only have a sketch of the 4 for the 4 festivals, and a mere sketch of a eurythmy form is a long way from the full thing.

          I wonder if you could answer a question as to whether there are any tone indications for the forms. A long time ago I had a thought of putting the verses to music, but was put off by the eurythmists' insistence that something must either be speech eurythmy or tone and so you cannot do eurythmy to a song with words. As a poet and musician, the idea of finding the musical rhythym within the verses still appeals to me.

          Dr. Starman