Martha Morell wrote about the Three week mood of the Calendar of the Soul

  • eurythmy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2001
      Martha Morell wrote about the Three week mood of the Calendar of the Soul

      Martha Morell  wrote about the Three week mood of the Calendar of the Soul. Please HELP! Does any one know about it? I believe it is only in German. It comes from a Marie Steiner thought, from Rudolf Steiner,- that a mood pervades three weeks.

       Then each quarter of the calendar would have four times a mood of three weeks. But it is not only a question of mathematics. Does any one know more about the quality of these moods.

      Thanks, Franky

    • Wayne FISCHER
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2001
        I do remember reading about this somewhere, so let me go over my files for a day, and I'll get back to you.

        Wayne

        >>> eurythmy@... 05/02/01 03:02PM >>>

      • starmann77@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2001
          >>>Martha Morell wrote about the Three week mood of the Calendar of the Soul. Please HELP! Does any one know about it? I believe it is only in German. It comes from a Marie Steiner thought, from Rudolf Steiner,- that a mood pervades three weeks.
          Then each quarter of the calendar would have four times a mood of three weeks. But it is not only a question of mathematics. Does any one know more about the quality of these moods.
          Thanks, Franky

          *******Yes, Daisy Alden wrote about it in the introduction to her translation of the Calendar, which was the first one I took up, so I have noticed it through the years. There are key ideas and words that repeat for 3 weeks in a row, so any 3 successive verses share a mood.
          For example, the first 3 weeks have to do with the polarity of Thinking (Gedanken) and the Senses (Sinne), and with 'losing' or 'forgetting self' ('selbstloses selbstsein', as Steiner called it). In week #1, thinking is experienced as drawn out of the isolated sheath of the ego into the wide world; in week 2, it loses its subjective character through this; this week, we experience 'sich selbst vergessend', forgetting self, so that the true Self may come to the fore.

          Dr. Starman
        • Wayne FISCHER
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2001
            Hello Franky,

            I found the informatin that I have about the mood that pervades the three weeks in a contemplation of the Calendar by H.D. Van Goudoever, translated into English by Giselher Weber. It is probably my favorite translation of the Calendar mainly because it is based on looking at the Calendar in three week patterns. If you want a copy of the contemplation I can send it to you.

            In the contemplation he writes a short introduction to the Calendar where he discusses various structural aspects of the Calendar. This is where I learned about the I Am (Spring), It Thinks (summer), She Feels (Fall), and He Wills (Winter) phrases that are enherent in the background of the verses through these seasons. He also says this:

            "According to an indication by Rudolf Steiner [Where I do not know!], the verses have been created in such a way that a group of three stanzas is always kept in the same mood. This indication makes it possible to have a fairly clear overview of the total composition. We shall divide the thirteen verses for each season in such a way that twice three verses stand at the beginning, twice three verses at the end and one in the center providing the transition. It will be seen that this division is carried through the 52 weekly verses, as it were, like an underlying rhythm: 3 - - 3 - - 1 - - 3 - - 3 ."

            From this notion Goudoever begins his contemplation of the Calendar. I did not do the same in my work because I did not have the space to discuss each verse, but I would follow this pattern as much as possible along with the pattern I found in relation to the use of voice in the Calendar. One thing I've noticed over the years is that the one verse in the middle of the two three week groups definately seems to stand out in occurances either in my external environment or in my inner world, so when things get "wild" during this time I often know to take it as part of the transitioning into the next three weeks.

            Hope this helps.

            Wayne Fischer

            >>> eurythmy@... 05/02/01 03:02PM >>>