Calendar of the Soul Week 3 :The Mantra, 2nd Posting (1st in error)

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 8:46 AM
      *******Sorry for the duplicate posts: I accidentally hit the 'send' key
      before I was finished before, so the first one is incomplete. Please ignore
      it.

      Franky's already posted this week's mantra in the original German, with
      the color lighting indications Steiner gave for performing it in Eurythmy.
      I'm going to just add an English translation and some other things here.

      For those new to this: the cycle of the year can be a meditation in
      itself, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this, made up
      of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously experience the 'astral'
      (soul) events occurring

      within you as well as in external Nature in the course of the year.

      These 52 mantras (for which Steiner later gave the eurythmy forms) are
      well known to many anthroposophists, but the original Calendar in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the solar forces in the cosmos into you in the day) and the Moon's position
      in the constellations was listed for each night (for sensing the lunar
      forces). There was also a list of saints and other spiritual figures to
      meditate on connected with specific days of the week.

      We're presenting all of that here each week. This has not been done since
      1912 and is available nowhere else. (I have the original Calendar in German,
      courtesy of the late Werner Glas, and am translating it from time to time; as
      well as the 12 Zodiac images done by Magaret Roessler after Imma von
      Eckherdstein's originals, courtesy of the late Janet McGavin.)

      eurythmy@... writes:
      How to breathe in each verse of Calendar of the Soul ?

      The Stage lights gives one way.

      In week 3

      First part: BLUE AND GREEN ABOVE, foot lights gold and green.

      "Es spricht zum Weltenall,

      Sich selbst vergessend

      Und seines Urstands eingedenk,

      Des Menschen wachsend Ich: "

      An English translation:

      There speaks to the World-All,
      Of Self forgetful
      And of its Primal state one in thinking,
      Man’s waxing “I”:

      Second part: RED ABOVE AND FULL WHITE FROM THE FOOT LIGHTS

      In dir, befreiend mich

      Aus meiner Eigenheiten Fessel,

      Ergründe ich mein echtes Wesen. >>

      ‘In you, freeing me
      From my Selfhood’s chains,
      I penetrate to my true Essence’.

      The background: In the Northern Hemisphere, the spring is the time when
      we change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer "nature-consciousness".
      Verse 1 (we always start at Easter) spoke of how the Sun and the Growth in
      the outer world of Nature spoke to our senses and joined us to the Spirit
      that calls forth this new life; verse 2 of how our thinking loses its
      separated existence by joining with the senses, the plants springing forth
      and so on.

      This week continues the theme of 'forgetting oneself': the first 4 lines
      point to a distinction, so to speak, between self and Self, or the little ego
      and the True Self: the true "I" within us now seeks to 'speak' to the
      World-All, forgetful of the everyday 'self'. This means the Primal
      Individuality we have within. In using these first 4 lines one should feel
      these two 'selves' distinctly different, should feel this deep True Self is
      now connecting with the World, forgetful of the everyday self.

      (The blue and green above point to the sky and nature around us, while the
      gold and green footlights once again picture Nature, as in the 'Green Snake'
      & its gold.)

      In doing so, that true Primal Self 'speaks' the last 3 lines to the
      World: one should recite these with the real feeling of speaking them to the
      World-All. In you, freeing me from my selfhood's chains (meaning the little
      'self'), I penetrate (dig down deep into) my True Essence (Being, Self---I
      use 'essence' because the German word 'Wesen' is the source of it).

      While the waxing human "I" is so speaking, the red above is that True Self
      and the white below is the ordinary human self below.

      Below are some of the spiritual figures and events Steiner listed for this
      week, along with the position of the Moon in the constellations each night.
      Attached to this post is the zodiac image for Aries, although the Doctor said
      the Sun enters the influence of Taurus on May 1st in our era. I will send
      Taurus next week.

      Sunday April 29th. Moon Cancer. The Virgin of Orleans frees Orleans 1429.
      Monday April 30th. Moon Cancer. Seneca assassinated 65 A.D. Gauss (the
      mathematician) born 1777.
      Tuesday May 1st. Moon Leo. Walpurgis. [Beltane]
      Wednesday May 2nd. Moon Leo. Leonardo da Vinci died 1519. Novalis born 1772.
      Thursday May 3rd. Moon Virgo. Empress Helena found the Cross of Christ in
      Jerusalem 326 A.D. May 4th. Monica, mother of Augustine dies 387 A.D.
      Friday May 5th. Moon Virgo. Columbus discovers America 1492.
      Saturday May 6th. Moon Libra. John, writer of the Gospel and the Apocalypse.

      Dr. Starman