Re: [WC] Carrying the Jupiter Race's Burden

  • carol
    Message 1 of 77 , Jul 2, 2008

      Steve: "...But see, that's the whole point. Calling the prefontal lobes "angel lobes", and having zero knowledge of an astral body or an etheric body is really nothing more than the perpetuation of nonsense. "

      Well, it's funny how Rudolf Steiner, in his time,  didn't consider instances like these to be examples of any perpetuation of nonsense. He saw them as evidence that progress is occuring, in the form of tiny trickles which can't help but make their way into our evolving humanity. Certain influencial or even quasi influencial men will intuit, in spite of themselves, some element of spiritual science, and then, a number of these will, by seeming chance, become popularized, thus having an effect of creating another 'crack' on the side of supersensible recognition-  another trickle breaks out into the open, taking along with it a potion of our human collectivity, thus resulting in another fragment, fraction of a supersensible truth,  setting itself in stone, within the everyday experience of an ever growing number of men.

      This is Anthroposophy for me.  All mental images which a mechanistic intellect can succeed in creating shows a fragment of what Anthroposophy is for ME.

      Please check this out, Val.  You'll find it a comfort.

      Rudolf Steiner on Occult History:

      "...IN the introductory lecture yesterday our attention was drawn to the fact that certain events in the more ancient history of mankind can be rightly understood only when we not merely observe the forces and faculties of the personalities themselves, but when we realise at the outset that through the personalities in question, as through instruments, Beings are working who allow their deeds to stream down from higher worlds into our world. We must realise that these Beings cannot take direct hold of the physical facts of our existence because, on account of the present stage of their development, they cannot incarnate in a physical Body which draws its constituents from the physical world. If, therefore, they desire to work within our physical world, they must make use of the physical human being — of his deeds, but also of his intellect, his powers of understanding. We find the influence and penetration of such Beings of the higher world the more clearly in evidence the farther back we go in the ages of the evolution of humanity. But it must not be imagined that this downpouring of forces and activities from the higher worlds into the physical world through human beings has ever ceased; it continues even into our own time...

      ..The Initiates of these Mysteries were indeed initiated into the innermost secrets, but this influence flowed through the external culture only as a tiny stream. This external culture proceeded from the impulse given by Gilgamish. Everything that has been said points to the fact that Gilgamish, as a personality, had not actually reached the point where he could have experienced complete Initiation. But just because at the time in which he was working he did not give effect to his own, personal impulses, did not impart his own personal forces to the world, he was very specially able to let one of the spiritual Beings we place in the rank of the Fire-Spirits, the Archangeloi, work through him. Such a Being did indeed work through Gilgamish, and it is in a Fire-Spirit that we must see the source of the ordering of Babylonian life and its impelling forces, for which Gilgamish was the instrument. So we shall rightly conceive of this Gilgamish in a picture that suggests the symbol of the ancient centaur. Such ancient symbols correspond more closely to reality than is generally supposed. A centaur — half man, half animal — was always intended to represent how in the more mighty of men of old the highest spiritual manhood and that which united the single personality with the animal organisation in a certain sense actually fell apart. Gilgamish gave the impression of a centaur to those who were capable of judging what he was, and it is the same to this day.

      Remarkably enough, this picture of the centaur is cropping up again in the field of modern scientific thought. There has recently been published a book which sets out to bare itself entirely on scientific facts, and yet goes to work with a certain absence of prejudice, hence it does not produce such an amateurish, senseless hotch-potch as do those who call themselves Monists. The author makes a genuine effort to understand man, and how, as an independent being of soul-and-spirit, he is related to the physical organism. And then this author, who bases himself on natural science, comes out with a remarkable picture. Quite certainly he was not thinking of the centaur when he conceived this picture, but referring to what results from natural-scientific ideas about the relation of the soul to the body, he says: This may be likened to a horseman riding upon his horse. The facts of natural science, when rightly understood, compel one to say: The soul is independent and uses the body as its instrument, as a rider uses his horse. — Yes, the centaur is here again; things will develop rapidly, and before people are aware of it, spiritual-scientific ideas will take root in our contemporaries under the compulsion of the facts of natural science itself. Not long ago I was talking to a philosopher who sets great store by materialistic ideas, and he said to me: "Of course the picture of the centaur arose because the old inhabitants of Greece saw certain tribes coming down from the North on their horses, and as it was generally misty, they thought that horse and rider were a single form. With all their superstition they might easily imagine this."

      That is a really ingenuous idea — perhaps not exactly philosophical — but certainly ingenuous! This picture of the centaur, which did not arise because the Greeks could not distinguish the rider how his horse but because the earlier peoples inevitably thought of the spiritual being of man as independent of the bodily nature — this idea of the centaur is again cropping up in our time out of the very concepts of natural science. It must therefore be said that despite all materialistic ideas we are coming to the point to-day when materialism itself, if only it will take the facts as they really are, will lead by and by to what Spiritual Science has to say from its occult sources. But if, in line with our studies, we want to focus our occult observation upon a figure such as Gilgamish — who has already become an object of interest to external research — we must realise that there we have to do with penetration by a Being of the spiritual Hierarchies. So that while we must in truth see every human being, in respect of his spirituality, in the picture of the centaur, in the case of one who works as Gilgamish worked, we must recognise, in addition, that the spiritual part of the centaur is directed by higher Powers who are sending down their forces to further the progress of humanity. And we shall find an going farther back into history that this is revealed even more clearly. We shall also see how modification takes place in the course of the ages up to our own time and how spiritual forces, when they work through human beings, assume constantly different forms the nearer we come to the immediate present."

      http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/OccultHist/19101228p01.html

> [...]
      > philosopher, although certainly a very important one. Phenomenology
      > is the greatest achievement of the 20th century in terms of
      > philosophical development, that competed even with the advance of
      > physics. But while physics refused to get on the other side of solid-
      > state conditions, phenomenology's goal was to arrive at essence, or
      > the so-called "eidetic reduction." The key discipline was the need
      > to suspend judgement or bias in any pursuit of investigative
      > potential. This exactly coincides with anthroposophy's call for an
      > unprejudiced way of thinking and being when delving into occult facts.
      >
      > Interestingly, Edmund Husserl was born in Austria four years before
      > Rudolf Steiner.
      > >
      > > > And know nothing about anthroposophy. Correct? They know
      > nothing
      > > > about it, nor anything concerning the struggle and sacrifice that
      > > >it took to make it available for some of us.
      > >
      > > I think this was actually the speaker's point. That here are a
      > couple
      > > of scientists that know nothing of Steiner's work and yet the
      > speaker
      > > found agreement with them on the consideration of the frontal lobes
      > > as "angel lobes."
      >
      > But see, that's the whole point. Calling the prefontal lobes "angel
      > lobes", and having zero knowledge of an astral body or an etheric
      > body is really nothing more than the perpetuation of nonsense. I
      > mean, if you take this to its logical conclusion as it relates to the
      > subject of the supposed racial-cultural characteristics involving
      > hind-brain, mid-brain, and fore-brain, it means that we caucasians
      > are imbued with the higher virtues that make us so well-off, advanced
      > and progressive; and it is because the Angels look down specifically
      > with their beneficence upon we Anglo's. Reminds me of Augustine's
      > doctrine of pre-destination, which the roman church loved to
      > incorporate. And this doctrine definitely came west with the church
      > after the schism that split east-west orthodoxy in the aftermath of
      > 869. In short, predestination is just another betrayal of the
      > Christ.
      > >
      > > > By the way, Descartes'
      > > > only error was thinking so strongly that he perceived his own
      > ego.
      > > > Does Demasio know that?
      > >
      > > I doubt it. He's a professor of Neurology at the University of Iowa
      > > School of Medicine, who wrote this book with his wife.
      > >
      > > > Well, he wouldn't have to, would he?
      > >
      > > No, he wouldn't.
      >
      > Yes. But he might like to know anyway. He just might like to know
      > what invisibly fills his identifiable nervous system. And that
      > Descartes deconstructed all known knowledge, except number and form,
      > in order to make it up for himself. He was the first great exponent
      > of intensified thinking in the modern age. So intense, in fact, that
      > he noted the relationship between thought and his I Am. Newton also

    • carynlouise24
      Message 77 of 77 , Jul 14, 2008
        Paracelsus `For we will only talk about things above the senses;
        which in fact are contrary to the senses'

        Anosmia; this is interesting Bradford (a-nos-mia) after my morning of
        contemplation on this I have thought the following. Of course it is
        far more complex and is deserving of further study.

        Dr. Steiner did say we will loose organs in order to develop new
        organs; but to smell the scent of a jasmine or the earthly scent
        which comes up from wet soil is precious and every now and then I get
        a sniff of this!

        The question is : is man loosing his senses (taste, smell etc) or is
        the Earth loosing her senses .. or are her senses being covered, so
        to speak, with concrete - maybe for example?

        In these lectures from Dr. Steiner we read;

        The Riddle of Humanity Lecture eight 0170

        `And then there is yet another super-sensible region. It is beyond
        the limits of the human senses and perceptible only through the
        faculty of Inspiration. This is the world of Inspiration. The
        processes of breathing, warming and nourishing are a reflection of
        this world, just as Saturn, Jupiter and mars are reflections of their
        spiritual counterparts from beyond the limits of the zodiac. Moreover
        there is a profound relationship between what is out there in the
        cosmos and what, as lower nature, is present in man. These spiritual
        counterparts of the life processes actually exist. ...And this is how
        we should mark out the boundaries of the human senses and life
        processes.

        Now we approach that which is higher than life, those true regions of
        the soul which are the home of human astrality and human egoity, of
        the I. We leave behind the world of the senses and the realms of
        space and time and really enter the spiritual world.

        Now on earth, because there is a certain connection between the
        twelve sense-zones and our I, it is possible for our I to live in the
        consciousness sustained by these sense-zones. Beneath this
        consciousness there is another, an astral consciousness which, in the
        present stage of human development, is intimately related to the
        human vital processes, to the sphere of life. The I is intimately
        related to the sphere of the senses; astral consciousness is
        intimately related to the sphere of life.

        Just as our knowledge of the zodiac comes through — or from within —
        our I, so knowledge of our life processes comes from astral
        consciousness. It is a form of awareness that is still subconscious
        in people of today: it is not apparent in normal circumstances, it
        still lies on the other side of the threshold. In physical existence
        such a knowing consists of an inner awareness of the life processes'.

        -Goethe in his `Theory of Colours' set forth all that relates colour
        to feeling, and leads finally even to impulses of will. But how is it
        that people overlook the fact that in the sense of sight we have
        chiefly to do with feeling? (The Study of Man lecture V111 GA 0293)

        In my spiritual investigations i.e. obtaining consciousness in the
        spiritual worlds; it is interesting to note I do not sense smell, or
        warmth but I do have feeling and see colour. We also understanding
        in `Life beyond Death' feeling becomes willing in the spiritual
        worlds.

        Is it possible Goethe is saying; in attainment our twelve senses
        becomes rays of light with the vehicle of feeling imbued willing?
        And is it possible to contemplate that this might be a future state
        in our evolution?

        I post my study on the `Twelve Outlooks' combined with the Rays of
        Light and the twelve senses (posted in PoF
        http://www.philosophyoffreedom.com/node/1855)

        1. Materialist : Cancer
        Materialist – a believer in materialism. The belief that all action,
        thought and feeling is made up of material things and not ideas. A
        person who leaves out or forgets the spiritual side of things.

        `The Light within the Form'

        Water: mass consciousness

        Sense one: Ego Sense (to be distinguished from ego consciousness)

        2. Spiritist : Capricorn
        Spiritualist – The belief that spirit alone is real. The belief that
        the spirits of the dead can communicate with the living. A person
        who sees or interprets things from a spiritual point of view.

        `The Light of Initiation'

        Earth: The Mountaintop

        Sense two: Sense of Thought

        3. Realist : Libra
        Realist – A person interested in what is real and practical rather
        than what is imaginary or theoretical.

        `The Light that Moves to Rest'

        Air: Intellectual reasoning

        Sense three: Word Sense

        4. Idealist : Aries
        Idealist – A person who has high ideals and acts according to them.
        A person who neglects practical matters in following ideals.
        Visionary. Adherent of idealism in art, literature or philosophy.

        `The Light of Life Itself'

        Fire: Inspirational and artistic

        Sense four: Sense of Hearing

        5. Mathematist : Gemini
        Mathetic – Of or having to do with learning. To formulate something
        into mathematical terms.

        `The Light of Interplay'

        Air: Mentally Stimulating

        Sense five: Sense of Warmth

        6. Rationalist : Taurus
        Rationalist – A person who accepts as the supreme authority in
        matters of opinion, belief or conduct. The philosophical theory that
        reason is in itself a source of knowledge, independent of the
        senses. Explanation of the supernatural by reason.

        `The Penetrating Light of the Path'

        Earth: Practical and Dependable

        Sense six: Sense of Sight

        7. Psychism : Pisces
        Psychism – Outside the known laws of physics; supernatural second
        sight, telepathy.

        `The Light of the World'

        Water: Receptive

        Sense seven: Sense of taste

        8. Pnumatist : Aquarius
        Pneum – Spirit or soul, breath, air, wind.

        `The Light that Shines on Earth, across the Sea'

        Air: Aspirational

        Sense eight : Sense of Smell

        9. Monadist : Sagittarius
        Monad – Single cell, atom. Philosophical theory that the universe is
        composed of and controlled by minute, simple entities.

        `A Beam of Directed Focused Light'

        Fire: Energetic and Excitable

        Sense nine: Sense of Balance

        10. Dynamist : Scorpio
        Dynamist – Philosophical systems which seek to explain the phenomena
        of nature by the action of some force.

        `The Light of Day'

        Water: Romantic and Sympathetic

        Sense ten: Sense of Movement

        11. Phenomenalist : Virgo
        Phenomenalist – Theory that knowledge is attainable only through
        careful observation of phenomena. Doctrine that knowledge consists
        solely in the accumulation and manipulation of observed data.
        Philosophy that phenomena are realities and therefore the only
        possible objects of knowledge. Something that the sense or the mind
        takes note of, an immediate object of perception, as distinguished
        from a thing-in-itself.

        `The Blended Dual Light'

        Water: Perception

        Sense eleven: Sense of Life

        12. Sensationalist : Leo
        Sensationalist - The philosophy theory or doctrine that all ideas
        are derived solely through sensation. Aimed at arousing strong or
        excited feeling.

        `The Light of the Soul'

        Fire: Fiery and Warm

        Sense twelve : Sense of Touch.

        *

        -I do believe the Hierarchies Love Love; they love art and poetry and
        I do believe they love to laugh! Thus may we say the lofty
        hierarchies `sense' through feeling imbued colour, light and love …
        and music which stirs the soul …

        This is an interesting lecture, it has to do with a specific birth
        chart of a child but in here it is interesting to note Mars's
        position. And when we were writing about media and the airwaves – it
        come to me that possible Mars's airwaves are blocking Venus's love.

        Curative Education Eleventh lecture
        `Mars, who is the bearer of iron, makes himself independent of the
        principle of propagation — independent, that is, of the Moon. He
        brings away from its true mission that which comes to man through the
        Venus principle and is connected with love. Mars tears this out of
        its true path of action, does not allow it to be in connection with
        generation, nor afterwards with growth; with the result that that
        which rightly stands in connection with the growth forces and should
        live in the lower part of the body, presses up into the head
        organisation'.

        -Inner and outer meditation! To smell the jasmine inside, within
        oneself, and to know this is the path which stimulates us inwardly
        towards Imagination, Inspiration and Intuition. For this is the path
        that leads us towards enlightment and as the inner becomes feeling
        imbued willed so are our etheric forces which are given back to the
        world, indeed the whole cosmos, becomes lightened with this his love.

        And it is no wonder we are loosing our sense of smell and taste
        because the inner smell and taste is burning like a flame and the
        outside pales in comparison …

        Aye Bradford if life was easy I suppose we would be made out of stone,

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "holderlin66" <holderlin66@...>
        wrote:

        > "It is a curious story I have introduced here. But perhaps you can
        see
        > how all this is related specifically to that part of the human soul
        that
        > is capable of judging good and evil. This is present in every human
        > being to a greater or lesser extent. In anthroposophy this is
        called the
        > consciousness soul.
        >
        > ....We will see that these four senses (smell, taste, vision, and
        the
        > temperature sense) make specific kinds of judgment through the
        soul. The
        > sense of smell judges good and evil in the quality of odour. We
        call the
        > region of the soul through which this is done, this capability of
        the
        > human being, the consciousness soul. If you study anthroposophy
        further
        > you will see that we can distinguish certain periods in the
        development
        > of humanity. At present we live in the ppeiod of the consciousness
        soul.
        > In this period everyone has the task of judging whether something is
        > good or evil at the moment it is experienced; not whether it is
        correct
        > or incorrect, but whether it is morally justified or not.
        >
        > "This has to do with the whole question of nuclear power plants or
        of
        > pollution. We can not simply continue to examine with our large
        brain
        > only whether it works well or not. When we pay attention it will
        become
        > apparent that everything has a moral value. Then we can ask
        ourselves
        > whether we are dealing with these things in a moral way or not.
        This is
        > characteristic of the consciousness soul. Man has to develop a new
        > instinct, acquired through his own efforts - a new organ of smell:
        the
        > two-petaled lotus. This is what the future depends on. With this,
        the
        > battle of our time between the moral and the immoral will be fought.
        >
        > "OUR TWELVE SENSES Wellspring of the soul by Albert Soesman"
        >
        > Smells are surer than sights and sounds to make your heart-strings
        > crack.—Rudyard Kipling
        >
        > http://www.slate.com/id/2195018 <http://www.slate.com/id/2195018>
        >
        > "There was nothing remarkable about the cold I caught. But a few
        weeks
        > after I was otherwise back to feeling normal, my sense of smell and
        > taste hadn't returned. I went to my doctor, and he said I had a
        sinus
        > infection, prescribed antibiotics, and told me not to worry. That
        was
        > three years ago.
        >
        > Since then, I've been to internists, allergists, and
        otolaryngologists
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otolaryngology> , none of whom have
        been
        > able to help me. They provided only a diagnosis—anosmia—the
        > medical term for "you can't smell anything." The specialists
        thought my
        > anosmia probably originated with a virus but had become chronic due
        > the severe allergies I developed after moving to Northern
        California. I
        > began searching the Internet like a cyber bloodhound (at least I
        could
        > sniff virtually) for the trail that would lead to my missing sense
        of
        > smell. I tried nasal washes, nose sprays, herbal remedies, steroids,
        > acupuncture, antihistamines, dietary modification, meditation, and
        > visualization. A few worked for very brief periods, but nothing
        lasted.

        > In The Scent of Desire
        > <http://www.amazon.com/Scent-Desire-Discovering-Enigmatic-
        Sense/dp/00608\
        > 25375> , an insightful book about the sense of smell, Dr. Rachel
        Herz
        > points out that most people don't much value theirs. She cites a
        study
        > that shows people ranking the loss of various physical attributes
        and
        > putting smell at the bottom. They considered it equivalent to
        losing a
        > big toe.
        >
        > But in reality, Herz writes: "For those with this devastating
        condition
        > called anosmia, everything changes. Our sense of smell is essential
        > our humanity: emotionally, physically, sexually, and socially." All
        you
        > normosmics (that's the actual term for those with a normal sense of
        > smell) might think that's over the top. But Herz is right. I lost
        normal
        > function on the left side of my body from a stroke when I was 30,
        and
        > although I've had a strong recovery, I still have limited fine-motor
        > control in my left hand, I walk with a limp, and I can't feel much
        on my
        > affected side. Yet without hesitation I can say that losing my
        sense of
        > smell has been more traumatic than adapting to the disabling
        effects of
        > the stroke. As the scentless and flavorless days passed, I felt
        trapped
        > inside my own head, a kind of bodily claustrophobia, disassociated.
        It

        <http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2004/press.html

        > for the discovery of the gene sequence for olfactory receptors. But
        > consistently effective treatments for smell disorders remain
        elusive.

        > Taste and smell are intimately linked, so when I lost my sense of
        smell,
        > I also lost my appetite. While the taste buds detect sweet, salty,
        sour,
        > bitter, and umami <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami> , it's the
        > olfactory cells
        > <http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-the-sense-of-taste-work.htm> in
        the
        > nose that allow us to appreciate the delicious complexities of
        flavor.
        > My taste buds are in perfect working order, but without smell, each
        meal
        > is a variation of sweet, salty, sour, bitter, or vaguely savory
        > cardboard. During the first year of adapting to anosmia, I lost
        eight
        > pounds because I had to force myself to eat. As I passed by my
        favorite
        > fruits, vegetables, cheeses, or treats in the grocery store, I'd
        feel my
        > usual surge of desire replaced by a jolt of frustration. I rejected
        food
        > to punish it for letting me down. I heard plenty of jokes about how
        > lucky I was not to enjoy eating from people struggling with their
        > weight. Turns out, they were on to something. The company Compellis
        > Pharmaceutical is developing a nasal spray for weight loss
        > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16287766/> that blocks the sense of
        smell
        > and taste. To me, the thought of someone deliberately giving
        themselves
        > anosmia, even temporarily, seems sad and crazy.
        >
        > What saved food for me, eventually, was texture, or "mouth feel."
        Ben
        > Cohen of Ben & Jerry's, who has said he is anosmic
        > <http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?
        res=9E01E1DD1039F93BA25751C1\
        > A962958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all> , pushed his partner Jerry
        > Greenfield to add bigger and bigger chunks to their ice cream. And
        > voila—a distinctive brand was born. Apples, which I never liked
        > before, have become a treat while saucy foods like daal or coconut
        > curry, which I used to love, feel mushy and repellent. I've come to
        > appreciate sour foods like lemon or tamarind because they don't
        rely on
        > subtlety to make themselves known in my mouth. Japanese food is the
        > perfect anosmia cuisine since it's so much designed around balance
        of
        > tastes and variations of texture.
        >
        > What's the upside of my nonfunctional nose? The smell-impaired are
        often
        > called on to do those things their friends or loved ones dread, like
        > changing cat litter, picking up dog poop, cleaning vomit-stained
        carpets
        > after drunken parties. Useful, true, but not being able to smell
        > yourself makes personal hygiene incredibly stressful. I've never
        read an
        > account from an anosmic that doesn't cover this embarrassing topic.
        Even
        > after the usual grooming ritual—shower, deodorant, teeth
        > brushing—I still have a nagging fear that I've missed something.
        > What if I reek but don't know it? What if I have something gross on
        the
        > bottom of my shoe, and everywhere I go I leave behind a foul trail?
        I'm
        > not only dogged by the fear of stinking; I've also found that life
        is
        > more dangerous. I've burned food and melted pots so many times I
        should
        > be declared a walking fire hazard. Like most anosmics, I view any
        gas
        > appliance as an archnemesis. I've become compulsive about making
        sure my
        > gas stove is really on when I turn the dial.
        >
        > After three years of living with anosmia, I got a full reprieve for
        one
        > aromatic week when I went back East in the middle of winter.
        Whether it
        > was staying in a place that was completely devoid of plant life, or
        > being at sea level (my sinuses have been appreciably worse since I
        moved
        > to a higher elevation), or who knows what else, my smell and taste
        > returned. I went home to California feeling reborn. I cried when I
        > entered my house and smelled its familiar, welcoming atmosphere for
        the
        > first time in years. Everywhere I went, I was greeted by glorious
        > scents, from the musty smell of our car to the freshness of clean
        > laundry. I reveled in the fragrance of soap, the inside of the spice
        > cupboard, the coffee—ahhh, the coffee—my clothes, the sheets, my
        > husband, and even my dog. The trip we took to the dump was
        wonderful.
        > Imagine being eager to take in the reek of rotting garbage!
        >
        > I was stunned by how much more engaged I felt in my own life. I
        noticed
        > that being able to smell made me feel focused again. I was fully in
        my
        > body, lighthearted with a clear, keen mind.
        >
        > Then it began to slip away. I tried not to panic. But one day, in
        the
        > middle of a cup of coffee, smell vanished. I tried to convince
        myself it
        > was no big deal. At least I'd had a vacation from anosmia for a
        week.
        > But I quickly plunged into a despair that sapped all my energy. I
        wanted
        > to smash my useless nose against the wall.
        >
        > I'm still searching for a cure. I recently read about sinuplasty, a
        > relatively new procedure that opens blocked sinuses with a thin
        balloon
        > similar to the one that's used for angioplasty. I've made an
        appointment
        > with a specialist to see if I'd be a candidate for the operation.
        And
        > despite my town's horrible housing market, we've made the decision
        > move because of my allergies. When the realtor came by to see the
        > property, the first thing she said was, "Wow, your roses smell so
        good!
        > And that jasmine. …" When I explained my situation, she looked at me
        > with a mix of pity and incredulity. "You really can't smell them?
        But