Calendar of the Soul Week 3 :The mantra

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2001
      Franky's already posted this week's mantra in the original German, with the
      color lighting indications Steiner gave for performing it in Eurythmy. I'm
      going to just add an English translation and some other things here.

      For those new to this: the cycle of the year can be a meditation in
      itself, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this, made up
      of 52 meditative mantras

      enabling one to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring

      within you as well as in externel Nature in the course of the year.

      These 52 mantras (for which Steiner later gave the eurythmy forms) are
      well known to many anthroposophists, but the original Calendar in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the solar forces in
      the cosmos into you in the day) and the Moon's position in the constellations
      was listed for each night (for sensing the lunar forces). There was also a
      list of saints and other
      spiritual figures to meditate on connected with specific days of the week.
      We're presenting all of that here each week. This has not been done since
      1912 and is available nowhere else. (I have the original Calendar in German,
      courtesy of the late Werner Glas, and am translating it from time to time; as
      well as the 12 Zodiac images done by Magaret Roessler after Imma von
      Eckherdstein's originals, courtesy of the late Janet McGavin.)

      eurythmy@... writes:
      How to breathe in each verse of Calendar of the Soul ?

      The Stage lights gives one way.

      In week 3

      First part: BLUE AND GREEN ABOVE, foot lights gold and green.

      "Es spricht zum Weltenall,

      Sich selbst vergessend

      Und seines Urstands eingedenk,

      Des Menschen wachsend Ich: "

      There speaks to the World-All,
      Of Self forgetful
      And of its Primal state one in thinking,
      Man’s waxing “I”:

      In dir, befreiend mich

      Aus meiner Eigenheiten Fessel,

      Ergründe ich mein echtes Wesen. >>

      ‘In you, freeing me
      From my Selfhood’s chains,
      I penetrate to my true Essence’.

      The background: In the Northern Hemisphere, the spring is the time when we
      change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer "nature-consciousness".
      Verse 1 (we always start at Easter) spoke of how the Sun and the Growth in
      the outer world of Nature spoke to our senses and joined us to the Spirit
      that calls forth this new life; verse 2 of how our thinking loses its
      separated existence by joining with the senses, the plants springing forth
      and so on.