Re: A Winter Solstice contemplation

  • carynlouise24
    Message 1 of 211 , Jul 1, 2008
      Awesome Nina :)

      Faust: Deeper and deeper night is round me sinking:
      Only within me shines a radiant light.

      Goethe `The Spiritual-Scientific Basis of Goethes Work'

      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <emeraldnina@...> wrote:

      > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "carynlouise24"
      > <carynlouise24@> wrote:
      > > As we read in Isaiah- The Lord, God of
      > > David, moved the sun for Hezekiah. Isaiah 38:8 `Behold, I will
      > bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the
      sun
      > dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten
      > degrees, by which degrees it was gone down'. And fifteen years
      was
      > added unto Hezekiah!
      >
      > Dear Caryn,
      > Smith shared this about Hezekiah in "David's Question" (As
      > Above, So Below, p.3)- Quite lovely, yes? NINA
      > http://www.bibleandanthroposophy.com
      >
      > "Other Steiner usages of shadow include (by no means exhaustively)
      > Man and the World of Stars (MWS), p. 51, and Theosophy of the
      > Rosicrucian (TR), p. 45. In the latter, he says:
      >
      > When the faculties of the seer develop, he often makes a
      > striking discovery. When he stands in the sunlight, his body holds
      up
      > the light and casts a shadow; very often he will discover the
      spirit
      > for the first time when he looks into this shadow. The body holds
      up
      > the light but not the spirit; and in the shadow that is cast by the
      > body the spirit can be discovered. That is why more primitive
      peoples
      > who have always possessed some measure of clairvoyance, have also
      > called the soul, the "shadow." (Emphasis mine)
      >
      > Examples of such "primitive peoples" are the Native Americans whose
      > myths are typified by those of the Oglala Sioux in the western
      > Dakotas. They speak often in similar terms of the shadow. See, for
      > instance, Lakota Myth (LAKM), p. 210, which speaks of Skan, the
      > fourth of the "superior Gods," who bears a remarkable resemblance
      > the Elohim, especially Yahweh-Eloha (I-16). It says there, "The
      > shadow of each thing shall be its spirit and shall be with it
      always."

      > Let us see how this insight can clarify a certain passage of
      > scripture (2 K 20,1-11; see also Is 38) that has remained obscure
      > theologians to this day. In addition to "shadow," one should be
      aware
      > of two other terms, "third day" and "figs." Briefly
      speaking, "third
      > day" means the time when something spiritually important will
      happen
      > (see the discussion of Jn 2,1 in The Burning Bush, p. 140). "Figs"
      > often refers to initiation into the ancient mysteries. We often
      read
      > the phrase "under the tree." For now, the reader can best think of
      it
      > in connection with Christ's cursing of the fig tree (Mt 21,18-22;
      Mk
      > 11,12-14,20-24). Without understanding what was meant, this story
      has
      > also been a puzzle to theologians until this very day. What is
      meant
      > by it is that Christ was bringing in a new method of initiation.
      The
      > old method of the "Three Days' Journey" (see The Burning Bush) was
      > passing away, never again to produce fruit (Jn 1,45-51 and Lk 13,6-
      > 9). The story of Buddha gaining enlightenment "under the bodhi
      tree"
      > is illustrative of this point in the Bible. When one reaches the
      > level of spiritual insight represented by having attained
      > enlightenment "under the tree," one can go back in his or
      her "house"
      > (soul) and see the karma there from prior incarnations. For
      instance,
      > the "illness" in one's life normally stems from this.
      >
      > The passage from Second Kings reads (RSV; emphasis mine):
      >
      > 1 In those days Hezekiah became sick and was at the point of
      > death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him, and said
      > to him, "Thus says the Lord, 'Set your house in order; for you
      shall
      > die, you shall not recover.'" 2 Then Hezekiah turned his face to
      the
      > wall, and prayed to the Lord, saying, 3 "Remember now, O Lord, I
      > beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in faithfulness and
      with
      > a whole heart, and have done what is good in thy sight." And
      Hezekiah
      > wept bitterly. 4 And before Isaiah had gone out of the middle
      court,
      > the word of the Lord came to him: 5 "Turn back, and say to Hezekiah
      > the prince of my people, Thus says the Lord, the God of David your
      > father: I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold I
      > will heal you; on the third day you shall go up to the house of the
      > Lord. 6 And I will add fifteen years to your life. I will deliver
      you
      > and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria, and I will
      > defend this city for my own sake and for my servant David's sake."
      7
      > And Isaiah said, "Bring a cake of figs. And let them take and lay
      it
      > on the boil, that he may recover."
      >
      > 8 And Hezekiah said to Isaiah, "What shall be the sign that
      the
      > Lord will heal me, and that I shall go up to the house of the Lord
      on
      > the third day?" 9 And Isaiah said, "This is the sign to you from
      the
      > Lord, that the Lord will do the thing that he has promised: shall
      the
      > shadow go forward ten steps, or go back ten steps?" 10 And Hezekiah
      > answered, "It is an easy thing for the shadow to lengthen ten
      steps;
      > rather let the shadow go back ten steps." 11 And Isaiah the prophet
      > cried to the Lord; and he brought the shadow back ten steps, by
      which
      > the sun had declined on the dial of Ahaz.
      >
      > In this light, one is warranted in seeing that Hezekiah was enabled
      > by the spiritual guidance of Isaiah to look back into his own
      karmic
      > past and there to foresee what faced him still.18 In the verses
      that
      > immediately follow, it is said that all that was in the "house" of
      > Hezekiah was revealed, meaning all of his karmic picture
      > or "destiny."

    • Stephen Hale
      Message 211 of 211 , Jul 1, 2008
        <carynlouise24@...> wrote:

        > This is quite poetic Steve; it's like the Phoenix rising from the
        > ashes! We may consider Saint John the Eagle rising from the winter
        > sting of the Scorpion into the Eagle of summer ...
        >
        > Then again we may also consider the Earth is awake in winter and
        > sleeping in summer - so it may be the other way around!
        >
        > Yes, I do remember the lunar eclipse on the 20th February when the
        > Sun ate the Moon! Also still curious about seeing Saturn on the
        > right and you saw it on the left - although a later picture
        confirmed
        > it to be on the right.
        >
        > Interesting about Mars hey - the land is jelly-like substance -
        > suppose the astronauts have to have special boots made to walk on
        > that!
        >
        > :)

        My experience of the Lunar Eclipse of 2/20/08 was that it was the
        converse! The Earth ate the Moon; which really means that the moon
        gave a nod to the fact that the earth beholds the "earthshine" when
        in the shadow zone.

        Every so often, the moon gives an objective proof of this. It is
        called a lunar eclipse.