Re: A Winter Solstice contemplation

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 211 , Jul 1, 2008
      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "carynlouise24"
      <carynlouise24@...> wrote:
      > As we read in Isaiah- The Lord, God of
      > David, moved the sun for Hezekiah. Isaiah 38:8 `Behold, I will
      bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun
      dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten
      degrees, by which degrees it was gone down'. And fifteen years was
      added unto Hezekiah!

      Dear Caryn,
      Smith shared this about Hezekiah in "David's Question" (As
      Above, So Below, p.3)- Quite lovely, yes? NINA
      http://www.bibleandanthroposophy.com

      "Other Steiner usages of shadow include (by no means exhaustively)
      Man and the World of Stars (MWS), p. 51, and Theosophy of the
      Rosicrucian (TR), p. 45. In the latter, he says:

      When the faculties of the seer develop, he often makes a
      striking discovery. When he stands in the sunlight, his body holds up
      the light and casts a shadow; very often he will discover the spirit
      for the first time when he looks into this shadow. The body holds up
      the light but not the spirit; and in the shadow that is cast by the
      body the spirit can be discovered. That is why more primitive peoples
      who have always possessed some measure of clairvoyance, have also
      called the soul, the "shadow." (Emphasis mine)

      Examples of such "primitive peoples" are the Native Americans whose
      myths are typified by those of the Oglala Sioux in the western
      Dakotas. They speak often in similar terms of the shadow. See, for
      instance, Lakota Myth (LAKM), p. 210, which speaks of Skan, the
      fourth of the "superior Gods," who bears a remarkable resemblance to
      the Elohim, especially Yahweh-Eloha (I-16). It says there, "The
      shadow of each thing shall be its spirit and shall be with it always."

      Let us see how this insight can clarify a certain passage of
      scripture (2 K 20,1-11; see also Is 38) that has remained obscure to
      theologians to this day. In addition to "shadow," one should be aware
      of two other terms, "third day" and "figs." Briefly speaking, "third
      day" means the time when something spiritually important will happen
      (see the discussion of Jn 2,1 in The Burning Bush, p. 140). "Figs"
      often refers to initiation into the ancient mysteries. We often read
      the phrase "under the tree." For now, the reader can best think of it
      in connection with Christ's cursing of the fig tree (Mt 21,18-22; Mk
      11,12-14,20-24). Without understanding what was meant, this story has
      also been a puzzle to theologians until this very day. What is meant
      by it is that Christ was bringing in a new method of initiation. The
      old method of the "Three Days' Journey" (see The Burning Bush) was
      passing away, never again to produce fruit (Jn 1,45-51 and Lk 13,6-
      9). The story of Buddha gaining enlightenment "under the bodhi tree"
      is illustrative of this point in the Bible. When one reaches the
      level of spiritual insight represented by having attained
      enlightenment "under the tree," one can go back in his or her "house"
      (soul) and see the karma there from prior incarnations. For instance,
      the "illness" in one's life normally stems from this.

      The passage from Second Kings reads (RSV; emphasis mine):

      1 In those days Hezekiah became sick and was at the point of
      death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him, and said
      to him, "Thus says the Lord, 'Set your house in order; for you shall
      die, you shall not recover.'" 2 Then Hezekiah turned his face to the
      wall, and prayed to the Lord, saying, 3 "Remember now, O Lord, I
      beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in faithfulness and with
      a whole heart, and have done what is good in thy sight." And Hezekiah
      wept bitterly. 4 And before Isaiah had gone out of the middle court,
      the word of the Lord came to him: 5 "Turn back, and say to Hezekiah
      the prince of my people, Thus says the Lord, the God of David your
      father: I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold I
      will heal you; on the third day you shall go up to the house of the
      Lord. 6 And I will add fifteen years to your life. I will deliver you
      and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria, and I will
      defend this city for my own sake and for my servant David's sake." 7
      And Isaiah said, "Bring a cake of figs. And let them take and lay it
      on the boil, that he may recover."

      8 And Hezekiah said to Isaiah, "What shall be the sign that the
      Lord will heal me, and that I shall go up to the house of the Lord on
      the third day?" 9 And Isaiah said, "This is the sign to you from the
      Lord, that the Lord will do the thing that he has promised: shall the
      shadow go forward ten steps, or go back ten steps?" 10 And Hezekiah
      answered, "It is an easy thing for the shadow to lengthen ten steps;
      rather let the shadow go back ten steps." 11 And Isaiah the prophet
      cried to the Lord; and he brought the shadow back ten steps, by which
      the sun had declined on the dial of Ahaz.

      In this light, one is warranted in seeing that Hezekiah was enabled
      by the spiritual guidance of Isaiah to look back into his own karmic
      past and there to foresee what faced him still.18 In the verses that
      immediately follow, it is said that all that was in the "house" of
      Hezekiah was revealed, meaning all of his karmic picture
      or "destiny."
    • Stephen Hale
      Message 211 of 211 , Jul 1, 2008
        <carynlouise24@...> wrote:

        > This is quite poetic Steve; it's like the Phoenix rising from the
        > ashes! We may consider Saint John the Eagle rising from the winter
        > sting of the Scorpion into the Eagle of summer ...
        >
        > Then again we may also consider the Earth is awake in winter and
        > sleeping in summer - so it may be the other way around!
        >
        > Yes, I do remember the lunar eclipse on the 20th February when the
        > Sun ate the Moon! Also still curious about seeing Saturn on the
        > right and you saw it on the left - although a later picture
        confirmed
        > it to be on the right.
        >
        > Interesting about Mars hey - the land is jelly-like substance -
        > suppose the astronauts have to have special boots made to walk on
        > that!
        >
        > :)

        My experience of the Lunar Eclipse of 2/20/08 was that it was the
        converse! The Earth ate the Moon; which really means that the moon
        gave a nod to the fact that the earth beholds the "earthshine" when
        in the shadow zone.

        Every so often, the moon gives an objective proof of this. It is
        called a lunar eclipse.