Re: [anthroposophy] Soul Calendar dimly bind

  • eurythmy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2001
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Wayne FISCHER <wfische@...>
      To: <anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 5:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [anthroposophy] Soul Calendar

      > Dear Dr. Starmann,
      >
      > Why do the thoughts soaring out into the heavens "dimly bind" the inner
      essence of the human being to the spirit's life rather than "brightly bind"?

      > Does this refer to a tenious and fragile awareness of the link between
      self and the divine within the spiritual landscape?

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Wayne

      Dear Wayne,
      The "bind dimly"of line 7 is to be seen next to the previous "becomes one"
      of line 4. It also is part of the mirroring of line 2.
      The first verb comes at the end of the firt part, the second on the
      penultimate line. So it has less vibrancy. Dem Licht sich eint im Schauen
      Und Binden dumpf and Die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn
      Some different translations of the lines 4 ,7and 2.
      1. joins with the light in seeing / and dimly bind / The sun to man's
      beholding speaks,
      2. unites with the light in seeing /and dimly bind / The sun speaks to human
      sense
      3. unites in seeing with the light / and dimly bind's man's being / The Sun
      speaks to the human sense
      4. unites with light in Man's beholding / And dimly binds / The Sun speaks
      to the human sense
      5. unites with light in seeing / the spirit breathes / in cosmic-human
      interchanges / is speaking to the human being
      6. unites itself, through seeing with the light / and dimly link / When the
      Sun to human senses speaks
      7. In vision joins with light / and dimly join / The Sun communes with sense
      of Man
      8. Is wed with light in looking / and dimly blend /The Sunshine speaks to
      Sense of Man.
      9. Becomes, in seeing, one with light / And dimly bind / The sun speaks to
      the human mind,
      10. joy links itself with Light perceived, / and dimly bind / The Sun doth
      speaks to the human sense,
      11. Unites herself to the light in perception, / and dimly link / The Sun
      speaks to the human sense
      12. Unites with light in his beholding / and dimly bind / The Sun speaks to
      the sense of Man,
      13. Links to the light, beholding / And dimly bind / When to Man's wakened
      Sense-life/ The Sun from wide World-spaces speaks
      14. Grows one with light in gazing / and mutely bind / The sun speaks to the
      sense of man'
      15. Unites with light in gazing / And dimly bind / The Sun speaks to the
      sense of man.
      16. Unites with the soul in vision / And dimly unite the human being / The
      sun speaks to man's senses
      17. (.) with light grows one / in act of contemplation / (.), and groping
      bind / The sun calls to the mind and sense of man
      18. [Difficult to cut that one!] From heaven above comes sunlight streaming;
      / Shining, glistening and gleaming. My silver crescent cup is filled, / (Be
      careful that it is not spilled), / Such joy weaves round me everywhere / In
      water and earth and in light filled air. / A wave of joy in me as well /
      Springs from my heart, a surging swell./ By joy I'm taught my God to know. /
      I am his child - He tells me so.
      19. And Joy out of the soul's depths / And binds dimly / The Sun speaks to
      Man's Senses

      Considering the change of sounds in the German Und binden dumpf I quite like
      dimly blend, dimly unite I salute the breathing interchanges (5) All the
      repetitive trumpeting vowel like in dimly link are not to my taste this time
      round. However considering the meaning or the poetical element: the mutely
      bind of 14 and the groping bind of 17 are quite a revelation .

      > eurythmy@... writes:
      > << How to breathe in each verse of Calendar of the Soul ?
      >
      > The Stage lights gives one way.

      > *******The red above is the Sun. The whitening below is the Sun taken in
      > we human beings.
      >
      > A translation:
      > When out of the World-Widenesses
      > The Sun speaks to Man's Senses
      > And Joy out of the soul's depths
      > The Light becomes one with in Vision,
      > Then is drawn out of Self-hood's sheath
      > Thinking into Space-distances
      > And binds dimly
      > Man's Essence and the Spirit's Being.
    • eurythmy
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2001
        Dear Wayne,
        Here is the choreography for dimly bound. It shows how the Spirit's life
        approaches man's being and the relation it has with the sun and the joy.

        Second form;

        Basic movement:
        They all move away from the centre stage at first, Lilac going around in the
        back, the others to the front. Then, we see a large circle by Green (SR) and
        Red (SL). Lilac describes a smaller circle around the centre. Dark Blue does
        wide meanders towards the centre of Stage. Having reached the front part of
        its ½ circle Lilac weaves in small meanders thought the space left by Dark
        Blue, reaches Dark Blue as Red and Green cross over in the back. Now the
        form contracts with Red and Green going towards the centre and Lilac going
        between them towards the back. Dark Blue finishes his last meander towards
        mid Stage Left.

        Detail Movement:
        They all meander to the front while Lilac goes crossing over in an arc to
        the back. Dark Blue and Green meet on Front Stage mid-Right (FS mR), then
        Dark Blues goes on a large meanders back along the central axes. Green
        starts a large swoop outward to towards the back mirroring Red, which on the
        right goes meandering along a large circle to the back. They meet and,
        crossing over, go curving forward. From Centre Left Lilac start circling
        towards the back and reaching between where Red and Dark Blue started (FS
        mL), he goes weaving narrowly through the large meanders of Dark Blue, in
        going directly to the back, to mid back of stage. Red is more in the
        periphery than Green, or Lilac.

        Remark:
        After the start they all stream and spread away towards the back, the head,
        the. Heights - but for Dark Blue meandering widely and slowly upwards, in
        smaller and smaller meanders. For lines 7 & 8, Dark Blue and Lilac are now
        in the centre of stage as Red and Green circle in the back: thoughts and
        binding activity. The binding is as follow: as soon as Lilac reaches Dark
        Blue's starting place it does in quite small meanders in the fashion of Dark
        Blue. The first three meanders are orientated in the same flow as the Dark
        Blue's one. The next two are against the flow of Dark Blue, That is when
        they meet; crossing each others paths as weaving circles going back in an
        eight form, then Lilac goes to Green and Red and Dark Blue pursue it form
        and inclines it to the front. Could it be that Lilac after showing the far
        spread spaces to Red and Green, binds, at with Dark Blue at first in the
        sense of the grain with the three lower sheaths, then as a premonition of
        completion making this Mercury staff form of the eight? - all in a strong
        upright {backwards} line. This line is going back, slightly towards the
        right. An upright line also found in Rudolf Steiner Group Statue, which is
        like going from the feet of Ahriman in the cave to the place of the Cosmic
        Humour. This Group Statue was to be at the back of the stage during the
        eurythmy performances, it was also to occupy a central role in the unwritten
        Fifth Mystery Drama of R. Steiner, which was due to celebrate Easter. This
        line is pointing in the direction of the two inner circles of the first text
        form of the choreography {Lilac, Lilac and Green}.

        For good measure some thoughts on the epilogue
        Epilogue:
        is the prologue -the four colours having reached the first starting place.
        Remark: It is clearer that the meanders of Lilac and Green are orientated to
        Stage front Right, same slant but different direction, an incarnating
        gesture. Red tends towards the periphery and Dark Blue towards the upright.
        Green starts on the Left with Dark Blue, but ends on the Right with Red, as
        in the large circles Red is first with Dark Blue then with Green.
        The sounds used during these silent parts are I, U, O and E, in various
        combinations: 1 Lilac: IUOE, 2 Green: UIEO, 3 Dark Blue: OUIE, 3 Red: EOUI.
        Red and Lilac go through symmetry in time; Green has in the middle the outer
        sounds of Lilac.
        · Their first sounds are the sounds in the order of Lilac IUOE: they all do
        the sounds Lilac I, Green U, Dark Blue O and Red E. In eurythmic terms it is
        first Balance (I) then major scale incarnating from U, arms parallel so the
        hands are far away from the body, to O, arms closing in a round shape, then
        minor mood E where the arms are crossed over.
        The second sound are 1:U, 2:I, 3:U, 4:O; no closing E sound but two O
        sounds. We have resolute major, expending mood as in the first part of the
        verse.
        · The mirror sound of Green (UIEO) follows: 1:O, 2:E, 3:I and 4: U. Green
        takes the lead from Lilac in this second half of the form It works in time
        as it does spatially: Lilac does the central part of the choreography of the
        prologue, followed by Green, while Red and Dark Blue are in the periphery.
        It ends with 1:E, 2:O, 3:E and 4:E. We have here an incarnating gesture as
        in the second part of the text, and as in this form ending by a crossing
        over of Green (like the crossing over of the arms in E).
      • Wayne FISCHER
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2001
          Thanks for the great list of various translations of this line in verse 1 of the Calendar. It's always been one of the stumbling blocks for me and now I have more material to work with.

          Wayne

          >>> eurythmy@... 04/17/01 05:02PM >>>

> [...]

          careful that it is not spilled), / Such joy weaves round me everywhere / In
          water and earth and in light filled air. / A wave of joy in me as well /
          Springs from my heart, a surging swell./ By joy I'm taught my God to know. /
          I am his child - He tells me so.
          19. And Joy out of the soul's depths / And binds dimly / The Sun speaks to
          Man's Senses

          Considering the change of sounds in the German Und binden dumpf I quite like
          dimly blend, dimly unite I salute the breathing interchanges (5) All the
          repetitive trumpeting vowel like in dimly link are not to my taste this time
          round. However considering the meaning or the poetical element: the mutely
          bind of 14 and the groping bind of 17 are quite a revelation .

          > eurythmy@... writes:
          ><< How to breathe in each verse of Calendar of the Soul ?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • starmann77@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 2001
            wfische@... writes:
> [...]

            / Shining, glistening and gleaming. My silver crescent cup is filled, / (Be
            careful that it is not spilled), / Such joy weaves round me everywhere / In
            water and earth and in light filled air. / A wave of joy in me as well /
            Springs from my heart, a surging swell./ By joy I'm taught my God to know. /
            I am his child - He tells me so.
            19. And Joy out of the soul's depths / And binds dimly / The Sun speaks to
            Man's Senses
            Considering the change of sounds in the German Und binden dumpf I quite like
            dimly blend, dimly unite I salute the breathing interchanges (5) All the
            repetitive trumpeting vowel like in dimly link are not to my taste this time
            round. However considering the meaning or the poetical element: the mutely
            bind of 14 and the groping bind of 17 are quite a revelation .

            ><< How to breathe in each verse of Calendar of the Soul ?

            *******But playing with the words is not meditating with them. I haven't
            heard anyone say they've even succeeded in being able to recite the verse
            from memory yet when they close their eyes to meditate, much less talk about
            feelings evoked by the lines when you enter into its inner experience. Did
            anyone even memorize the 8 lines in either German or English? Does anyone who
            did so want to share their experiences?