Re: Colony Collapse

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 40 , May 23, 2008
      Hi Carol, Val, Everyone,
      Had opportunity recently to read Bobby Matherne's reviews of the
      Russian "Anastasia - Ringing Cedars" series. There was mention of
      bees and biodynamic agriculture. All in all, very enjoyable read. She
      details creating a "Space of Love" small homestead. (In one of the
      later sequels there was comment about how Bush retreated for month in
      Texas after 911,to his Space there...surely that would elicit
      opinions here.) Thanks to Bobby for spreading awareness of changes in
      Russia - NINA
      http://www.doyletics.com/arj/anasta01.htm

      "[page 74] "Right now I shall take a look with my ray and locate,
      at a distance, some of those people you call dachniks.
      After a period of silence, she began to say softly:
      "An old woman is unwrapping a piece of cheese cloth in
      which cucumber seeds have been soaking. The seeds have already begun
      to develop quite a bit, and I can see little sprouts. now she has
      picked up a seed. I have suggested to her that should not soak the
      seeds so much — they will become deformed when they are planted, and
      this kind of water is not good for them — the seed will go bad. She
      thinks she herself must have guessed that. And that is partially
      true — I just helped her guess a bit. Now she will share her idea and
      tell other people about it. This little deed is done."

      This was remarkable enough, but what she reveals about the "Seed as
      physician" in Chapter Eleven should make everyone come alert. In the
      USA where so much of our food is grown in areas completely
      disconnected from our homes, we rarely eat food whose seeds we have
      planted, up until now. The dachniks in Russia are leading the world
      in this area by growing so much of the food that they consume. I saw
      an estimate somewhere that over fifty percent of all vegetables
      consumed in Russia comes from dachnik gardens.

      First Anastasia explains the connection must be established between
      the seed and the human body. My wife and I have been practicing bio-
      dynamic gardening around our property for more than five years now.
      This involves stirring a barrel compost material which looks like a
      loose form of peat moss into rainwater for twenty minutes and
      flipping the resulting liquid over all of our plants after nightfall.
      I had wondered why the long time of stirring when the compost
      material doesn't dissolve into the water, but is merely suspended in
      it. After reading what Anastasia says below, I came to understand
      that we were perhaps adding our own body's information into the
      liquid as we stirred it over and over. In the process of adding the
      compost, we take a handful and place it into the container for
      stirring and our hands makes close contact with the compost. This is
      one example of how Rudolf Steiner's bio-dynamic preparations and
      suggestions match those of Anastasia. Another is that they both
      strongly suggest avoiding chemical fertilizers or poisons because of
      the damage they do to the underlying plant and insect life in the
      garden.

      [page 77] "Every seed you plant contains within itself an
      enormous amount of information about the Universe. Nothing made by
      human hands can compare with this information either in size or
      accuracy. Through the help of these data the seed knows the exact
      time, down to the millisecond, when it is to come alive, grow — what
      juices it is to take from the Earth, how to make use of the rays of
      the celestial bodies — the Sun, Moon and stars, what it is to grow
      into, what fruit to bring forth. These fruits are designed to sustain
      Man's life. More powerfully and effectively than any manufactured
      drugs of the present or future, these fruits are capable of
      counteracting and withstanding any disease of the human body. But to
      this end the seed must know about the human condition. So that during
      the maturation process it can satiate its fruit with the right
      correlation of substances to heal a specific individual of his
      disease, if indeed he has it or is prone to it."

      The next step she suggests seems a bit extreme, but it is definitely
      a way of directly communicating the status of one's body and its
      specific requirements to the plant so that it may adjust its produce
      to supply exactly those requirement.
      ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
      [page 81] "If you make connections with the plants in your
      garden-plot, they will take care of you and cure you. They will make
      the right diagnoses all by themselves and prepare the most effective
      medicine especially designed for you."

      When Anastasia told Vladimir that bees should be kept on the garden
      plot, he objected, saying that is difficult, and she replied that it
      is easy. "How?" he asked, and she meditated silently for a long time
      before answering. Her answer came as complete instructions for
      building a naturally shaped beehive without all the mechanical
      trappings of a commercial beehive. An old tree trunk of a deciduous
      tree will suffice if it is hollow inside, about 4 feet long with a
      hollow about 16 inches running its length. Or simply build one out of
      deciduous tree lumber such as ash, pecan, etc, using boards about two
      inches thick with triangle pieces in the four corners to simulate a
      circular inside. The complete instructions are on page 83, including
      where to place, how to remove honey, how to attract the initial
      swarm, when to harvest the honey, and how much to take. I am no
      beekeeper, but these instructions on pages 83 through 85 seem full of
      wise advice and make it seem easy enough for anyone to add a natural
      beehive to one's small garden plot.

      Given that bees seem to be dying off in commercial hives in certain
      parts of the USA (and Europe), this may be life-saving advice for
      bees and human beings who can become independent of commercial
      providers for their supply of honey. The Bible talks of a promise
      of "a land flowing with milk and honey," and assumes that everyone
      knows why it is important to have a milk and honey, but never
      explains why it is important. This is a corollary of Rudolf Steiner's
      dictum that "discussion begins when knowledge ends," namely, "no
      discussion is necessary when everyone knows." People of biblical
      times knew that milk has important constructive forces for human
      infants and honey has important constructive forces for aged people.
      Thus a "land flowing with milk and honey" would have beautiful
      babies, children, and grandparents.

      Here are three snippets dealing with honeycombs, bee stings, and
      harvesting the honey:

      [page 84] "Bees build their honeycombs at a specific distance
      apart to facilitate both ventilation and defense against their
      enemies, and any human intervention breaks down this system. Instead
      of spending their time gathering honey and raising offspring, the
      bees are obliged to fix what has been broken."

      [page 85] "Bees only sting when people act aggressively toward
      them, wave them off, become afraid or irritated inside — not
      necessarily at the bees, but just at anyone. The bees feel this and
      will not tolerate the rays of any dark feelings. Besides, they may
      attack those parts of the body where there are channels connecting
      with some diseased internal organ or where the protective aura has
      been torn, and so forth."

      [page 85] "Open the panel, break off the hanging honeycomb and
      extract the sealed honey and pollen. Only do not be greedy. It is
      important to leave part of it for the bees for the winter. In fact,
      it is better not to collect any honey at all during the first year."

      To summarize, let the bees make their own honeycomb, if they do sting
      you — it will be beneficial to you, and leave some honey for the hive
      when you harvest. "
    • Nina