Re: Owen Barfield's SAVING THE APPEARANCES

  • wfische@boisestate.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
      Yes, I know this book. It was the book that I first read back in my
      High School days and the one that first got me into Steiner because
      he is in the footnotes of the book. I've read it about three times
      now and every time I learn more from it. I lost it once, but one day
      I ran into for a quarter on a library table, so I took it as karma
      and decided to read it again. And from there, I decided to write up
      a thesis project on Steiner. So, yes, definately read this book for
      a clear understanding of the historical development of consciousness
      in the western part of the world.

      Wayne Fischer

      --- In anthroposophy@y..., "Joel A. Wendt" <hermit@t...> wrote:
      > Dear Barfield fans,
      >
      > Just a small note: While doing a search on Valentin Tomberg I
      came across
      > a website listing the 100 most significant spiritual books of the
      20th century
      > (the last 100 years). Some committee of publishers and critics
      conversant
      > with the field put it together. No Steiner books. Did have
      Tomberg's
      > Meditations... Also the usual, such as A Road Less Traveled. And,
      lo and
      > behold, Barfield's Saving the Appearences.
      >
      > warm regards,
      > joel
      >
      > Jo Ann Schwartz wrote:
      >
      > > > 4) Owen Barfield's SAVING THE APPEARANCES.
      > > >
      > > > The "problem" is that in all my moving, I have somehow lost my
      copy of
      > > > SAVING THE APPEARANCES. Does anyone know this work? Is it still
      in
      > > > print?
      > >
      > > Hi Elaine--
      > >
      > > Haven't read this book, although it's 'on my list'... It is still
      in
      > > print, so you could order it through your local bookstore or
      online. (If
      > > you're ordering online, you might consider going to Barnes &
      Noble through
      > > the link at Frank Thomas Smith's Southern Cross Review website:
      > >
      > > http://www.southerncrossreview.org/
      > >
      > > SCR is a wonderful and diverse web-zine in English and Spanish
      whose
      > > authors do not even receive 'contributors copies' in payment...
      although