Fercher von Steinwand and Mani

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2008
      Research question to all:

      Does anyone have any info about a possible
      connection between the Austrian poet Fercher
      von Steinwand and the Spirit who was Mani?
      There may be some info in an article in *Der
      Europaeer*, Vol. 6, Num. 6: "Lenker der
      weissen Loge der Deutschen" by Andreas Bracher.
      I don't have the text, and I could hardly
      read it anyway; it's auf deutsch.

      Robert Mason

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Robert Mason
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2008
        To All:

        I have posted photos of four book pages that
        are relevant to this question:
        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cF-7RxYFiCKki843B6eZWWkqKdPtYg1WfwemQPX6o_To42aIdCE6aMu2jITnF6TmcmKGII3f5w7ujHGmlBxIFtHS7uHxzSWEuad9d_qN/P2120030%5B1%5D.JPG>
        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cF-7R7QCYXKki843-qCfNTTe0aUsOafozdOcRzi58IXFJ3O3jyRpR0qoTMY38xIzH_V_a_wAseVb7nm-YQBqwvzPrrX8mCYqG4Jyz8Bs/P2120031%5B1%5D.JPG>
        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cF-7R_mNPgOki843nzaUWotiJGULmqcrlBv2--P5cdaanC8ipfAbLBBz6Vr0k3i4pr2XYS2SAvYada0OgdKYGmvuwr_9JFrnVpnd_h7G/P2120032%5B1%5D.JPG>
        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cF-7Rxgk0Ziki843CDY2lsuGimKG3d4riI7g_JPpruUJa2WNkiYci8_O4Yz7aA29D5AxAZIu0aY_DiUxUj9amXK50lIVIGJ20kV2_t94/P2120033%5B1%5D.JPG>
        (Unhappily, I don't know the title or author
        of this book.

        The first photo especially is dark and blurry,
        but the others are not quite so bad. I guess
        the legibility depends a lot on the quality of
        one's visual display. Perhaps some pixel-
        people here might do some light-blasting or
        something to make the text more readable. But
        it is in German.

        There's info in there somewhere, for whoever
        can dig it out.

        Robert Mason

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • Robert Mason
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 20, 2008
          OK, these URLs for those photos should work for
          everyone:

          <http://www.geocities.com/robertsmason_99/fercherpage1.jpg>
          <http://www.geocities.com/robertsmason_99/fercherpage2.jpg>
          <http://www.geocities.com/robertsmason_99/fercherpage3.jpg>
          <http://www.geocities.com/robertsmason_99/fercherpage4.jpg>

          They're from the book "Fercher von Steinwand, Fackeltraeger
          des Geistes" by Friedrich Zauner, Verlag am Goetheanum.

          RM

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • carynlouise24
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 21, 2008
            Hi Robert - may I ask who Fercher von Steinwand and Mani are?

            PS: thanks for your detailed post describing the Sun rays - we need
            more scientific stuff like this.

            Regards
            Caryn

            --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason

            ______________

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 21, 2008
              --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "carynlouise24"
              <carynlouise24@...> wrote:

              > Hi Robert - may I ask who Fercher von Steinwand and Mani are?

              To Caryn:

              Johann Fercher von Steinwand: Austrian poet (1828-1902);
              not much info in English; rumored to have been a
              reincarnaion of the religious teacher Mani.
              <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Fercher_von_Steinwand>
              <http://www.sprachgestaltung.com/de/fercher-steinwand.html>
              <http://www.gemeinde-
              stall.at/gemeinde/gemeindeinfo/kultur_brauchtum_kirche.php?
              navtext=Kultur%2FBrauchtum%2FKirche>

              Mani (Manes): Persian religious teacher (210-276);
              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mani_(prophet)>
              much misunderstood; denounced by St. Augustine;
              Steiner spoke about Mani's esoteric significance:
              <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Manich_index.html>
              <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/19090831p01.html;mark=614,26,33#WN_m
              ark>
              Also Albert Steffen wrote a play *The Death
              Experience of Manes* and an essay.

              Robert M
            • carynlouise24
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 22, 2008
                Thanks Robert - lots to read!

                <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

                > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "carynlouise24"
                > <carynlouise24@> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Robert - may I ask who Fercher von Steinwand and Mani are?
                >
                > To Caryn:
                >
                > Johann Fercher von Steinwand: Austrian poet (1828-1902);
                > not much info in English; rumored to have been a
                > reincarnaion of the religious teacher Mani.
                > <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Fercher_von_Steinwand>
                > <http://www.sprachgestaltung.com/de/fercher-steinwand.html>
                > <http://www.gemeinde-
                > stall.at/gemeinde/gemeindeinfo/kultur_brauchtum_kirche.php?
                > navtext=Kultur%2FBrauchtum%2FKirche>
                >
                > Mani (Manes): Persian religious teacher (210-276);
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mani_(prophet)>
                > much misunderstood; denounced by St. Augustine;
                > Steiner spoke about Mani's esoteric significance:
                > <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Manich_index.html>

                <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/19090831p01.html;mark=614,26,33#WN_m
                > ark>
                > Also Albert Steffen wrote a play *The Death
                > Experience of Manes* and an essay.
                >
                > Robert M

              • carynlouise24
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 22, 2008
                  Read the lectures (working late!) What an absolute honour. Be it known
                  sacred FreeMasonary is the oldest form of Spirit working in Art.

                  It is not a wrestle, nay not a squirm in the mud – it is just Its
                  rightful place traveling for aeons in style and grace.

                  King of Kings
                  Lord of Lords
                  Earth's rightful ruler.

                  `If there was a church I could receive in – you read from your `holy
                  book' while the rest of us choke'. U2
                • Robert Mason
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
                    To All:

                    I still haven't found any information that
                    directly connects Fercher with Mani, but I have
                    found some statements that RS made about
                    Fercher. For instance:

                    (*Riddle of Man*: "Pictures from the Thought-
                    Life of Austria") "I learned to know him
                    [Fercher] at the end of the 1880's in Vienna
                    and for a short time associated with him
                    personally."

                    (*The Story of My Life*: "Chapter: VII") "I
                    consider the fact that I came to know Fercher
                    von Steinwand as one of the most important
                    events of my youth; for his personality acted
                    like that of a sage who reveals his wisdom in
                    genuine poetry. . . . in the play of
                    countenance, in every gesture of Fercher, I saw
                    the essence of a soul which could only have
                    been formed in the time from the beginning of
                    the Christian evolution, while Greek paganism
                    was still influencing this evolution."

                    It is evident that Steiner considered Fercher
                    to be a very significant spirit: meeting him
                    was "one of the most important events of my
                    youth"; I would assume that RS did not make
                    that statement lightly. And what RS says about
                    Fercher's previous incarnation is consistent
                    with the place and time of Mani's life.
                    Probably Steiner knew more than he was saying
                    explicitly here -- only hinting at something
                    very important?

                    Elsewhere Steiner said something solemn and
                    momentous in connection with Fercher:
                    (*Mysteries of Light*: "Lecture III") ”I once
                    read aloud here from this same platform a
                    thesis of Fercher von Steinwand, that German-
                    Austrian poet, who in the sixth decade of the
                    19th century expressed his opinion about the
                    future of the German people. The lecture is
                    noteworthy because it was given before the
                    ruling King of Saxony and his ministers. In
                    this sixth decade — those who were there at the
                    time heard it — Fercher von Steinwand said that
                    his German people is predestined some time in
                    the future to play a role somewhat like that
                    which the Gypsies were playing then. It was a
                    deep glimpse into the evolution of humanity
                    which Fercher van Steinwand had."

                    Apparently RS was endorsing Fercher's prophecy.
                    And Steiner was really "hitting on all
                    cylinders" at the time; he had a clear view of
                    the future. In the same lecture he made this
                    grave prophecy: "Let the kind of teaching that
                    prevails in our universities continue for
                    another three decades, let social questions be
                    treated as they are now for thirty years more,
                    and you will have a devastated Europe." He
                    said this in December, 1919; of course the
                    prophecy was fulfilled in less than thirty
                    years.

                    And Fercher was not the only one to make this
                    prophecy. Bondarev wrote (in *The Crisis of
                    Civilisation*): "Rudolf Steiner warned that
                    the situation might come where the Germans are
                    driven out of their native land and scattered
                    over the entire earth. If we understand the
                    dark spirit that rules in our time, we can say
                    that the realization of this plan is already
                    conceivable. It is enough to activate the
                    radical Right-wing parties in Germany a little
                    and unleash a corresponding campaign in the
                    world-press - and under general expressions of
                    approval the Morgenthau-Plan will be realized,
                    or the Germans will be scattered over the other
                    lands and continents.* {*There is a statement
                    by Goethe to Wilhelm Riemer, the teacher of his
                    son August, containing the following: "Who
                    knows - destiny will beat them (the Germans)
                    because they betrayed themselves and did not
                    want to be what they are. It will scatter them
                    over the earth like the Jews. - And rightly so!
                    For the best of them live in exile and only in
                    exile, in dispersion, will they develop the
                    wealth of good that lies within them, for the
                    benefit of the nation, and be the salt of the
                    earth!" And Trithemius of Sponheim writes in
                    *De septum mundum regnatibus Archangelis*: "The
                    descendants of Lohengrin ... will be numbed and
                    destroyed ... The Germans, scattered throughout
                    the world like gypsies, will have to muster all
                    their strength to retain culture for the earth
                    as pupils of Michael ..." (translation from the
                    Latin by Karl Luttenberg, 1943; Publisher's
                    Note).}"

                    I once mentioned this prophecy to a German
                    Anthroposophist, and he replied that the
                    Germans are already scattered like Gypsies. I
                    think he was probably referring to the massive
                    emigration of Germans to places such as the USA
                    in the past few centuries. But I don't think
                    that this emigration was the scattering
                    that Fercher, Steiner, Goethe, and Trithemius
                    were predicting. For one thing, that
                    emigration was already well underway when
                    Fercher spoke and practically completed when
                    Steiner spoke; for another, it was not
                    emptying Germany of Germans; and for another;
                    the German descendants in the USA have not
                    remained Germans as the Gypsies have remained
                    Gypsies.

                    It seems that this "scattering" still lies in
                    the future. Germany has already been crushed
                    and made powerless; she is effectively ruled by
                    her enemies, and her people have mostly been
                    "re-educated". The best products of her spirit
                    (Goetheanism and Anthroposophy) have not
                    reached fruition in the wider society, and are
                    struggling even to survive. The hatred of the
                    true German spirit is still such that her
                    enemies on Earth (e.g. some that we know on the
                    English-speaking Internet as the "Waldorf
                    Critics") are loudly and energetically
                    agitating against Anthroposophy. . . . And, if
                    we take Steiner's warning seriously, it is
                    apparent that this hatred has yet to do its
                    worst against the German people themselves:
                    Mid-Europe will be emptied of Germans and the
                    survivors will be scattered like Gypsies. And
                    why not? Germany is almost disarmed in
                    relation to the rest of the world. Even
                    Pakistan now has enough nukes to turn Germany
                    into a radioactive desert.

                    Sad, sobering thoughts.