Re: Singing that Soothes the Soul

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 28, 2008
      --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "isenhart7" <isenhart7@...> wrote:
      ...Sacred Harp or shape note singing....
      Dear Val,
      Checked out the singing at www.fasola.org May take your suggestion to
      seek out SACRED HARP. Never heard of it before.
      Cayce scholar Harmon Bro was a choral conductor.Certain he had! Cayce
      Reading for him gave: "The nature of the songs should be the natures
      that tell their story. These should be the greater impelling
      influences,such as: IN THE GARDEN,SWEET HOUR OF PRAYER,ROCK OF AGES,MY
      REDEEMER LIVETH." Will keep eyes open for poem written for Harmon after
      his death,tribute that showed role song played...think you would enjoy
      it. NINA
    • Valerie Walsh
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 28, 2008
        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Nina" <emeraldnina@...> wrote:

        > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "isenhart7" <isenhart7@> wrote:
        > ...Sacred Harp or shape note singing....
        > Dear Val,
        > Checked out the singing at www.fasola.org May take your suggestion
        > seek out SACRED HARP. Never heard of it before.
        > Cayce scholar Harmon Bro was a choral conductor.Certain he had! Cayce
        > Reading for him gave: "The nature of the songs should be the natures
        > that tell their story. These should be the greater impelling
        > influences,such as: IN THE GARDEN,SWEET HOUR OF PRAYER,ROCK OF
        AGES,MY
        > REDEEMER LIVETH." Will keep eyes open for poem written for Harmon
        after
        > his death,tribute that showed role song played...think you would
        enjoy
        > it. NINA

        Dear Nina,

        I think you would really enjoy it if you went because the singing is
        all about intoning greater impelling influences, seems to me. The only
        thing that I can compare it to, experientially, is the vowel sound I
        intoned before giving birth to my third child. Going to a singing would
        provide a really powerful, I think, example of the difference between
        hearing music and experiencing music because the recordings of shape
        note singing all sound like a cold mountain.-Val
      • Valerie Walsh
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 28, 2008
          --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Valerie Walsh" <wdenval@...>
          wrote:

          > Dear Nina,
          >
          > I think you would really enjoy it if you went because the singing is
          > all about intoning greater impelling influences, seems to me. The
          only
          > thing that I can compare it to, experientially, is the vowel sound I
          > intoned before giving birth to my third child.

          Well, I thought of something else-the annual "Kirken of the Tartans"-so
          all you'd need to do is get a large bagpipe band to play Amazing Grace
          in a good sized cathedral and have a congregation join in and you could
          experience something similar to the Sacred Harp. Easier to find a
          singing in your area probably, though if you can make it to a Kirken
          sometime you'll hear for yourself that Episcopalians can rock too.-Val
        • Valerie Walsh
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 2008
            wrote:

            > Well, I thought of something else-the annual "Kirken of the
            Tartans"-so
            > all you'd need to do is get a large bagpipe band to play Amazing
            Grace
            > in a good sized cathedral and have a congregation join in and you
            could
            > experience something similar to the Sacred Harp.

            And then, you know how it is, Nina-one thought just leads to another-
            so I thought to look to see if I could find a good old fashioned
            American Kirken on-line and it just so happens that there's a closing
            procession on youtube:

            http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_zUl4VWAA

            I ask you, is nothing sacred anymore? First they bring pipes inside a
            building and now this...well, anyway you can see how they begin to
            form a hollow square and can imagine how a cathedral would provide a
            similar effect. Usually, though, with a Kirken there's dancing
            involved and at least, as far as I know, that's still done on the
            lawn, or in my church come to think of it, in the labyrinth, geeez:

            http://www.stjohnsboulder.org/03_ministries/intergenerational.php
          • Stephen Hale
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 28, 2008
              wrote:

              "Easier to find a singing in your area probably, though if you can make
              it to a Kirken sometime you'll hear for yourself that Episcopalians can
              rock too.-Val"

              Episcopalians can rock too? What does that mean, unless you're
              referring to stodgy old Bush, and the americanist love of lies owing to
              their allegiance to good old red, white and blue patriotism.

              Sound familiar Val? Been there, done that. Same ol' same ol'.
              Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks?

              You just have to have the visual and audio. That's it, isn't it?

              Steve
            • Stephen Hale
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 2008
                I just like to give you a little extra hard time; a rock of sorts,
                because you used to act like you cared about matters. Oh well.

                But, I'll tell you something. I can visualize and hear the
                intonations right now, no kidding. Right here.

                --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Hale"