HOLY NIGHTS and DREAMS

  • radistasi@peoplepc.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000
      Elaine,in your post on the Holy Nights and their relationship to
      dreams you made an interesting comment and personal observation
      saying,
      "With the holy night dream remembrance, one begins on the night of
      dec. 25 and goes through jan 6 to Epiphany. Remember and record each
      night's dreams, no matter how confused or insignificant or even
      embarrasing these dreams, images, words, sounds seem. Keeping a
      journal is best. The dreams from dec 25 to dec 31 are usually about
      things during the past year, and from dec. 31-jan 1 through 6 about
      the upcoming year."
      Currently, I have been reading Emil Bock's 'The Rhythm of the
      Christian Year' and he too made an interesting comment that is
      congruent with yours. He said that January 1 is NOT a date that was
      picked arbitrarily as you point out in the separation of past and
      future dreams. It purposefully marks the mid-point between Dec.25 and
      Jan.6. Dec.25 to Jan.1 is when we look 'BACK' to earthly 'HISTORY'
      (Matthew Jesus) and heavenly 'HISTORY' (Luke Jesus). Jan.1 through
      Jan.6 is when we look 'FORWARD' to the apocalyptic,
      revelatory 'FUTURE EPIPHANY' of the ever on-going Second Coming of
      Christ and its gradual transfiguration of the earth. The Roman god
      Janus (January)was particularly selected to mark this time as he was
      the double-faced god who looks both forward and backward.[rick
      distasi]

      --- In anthroposophy@egroups.com, "elaine upton" <elaineupton@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > Here's a post i sent to ark, and am now sending it to you. It's
      about
      > paying attention to dreams, particularly the dreams you have on
      this
      > upcoming series of Holy Nights!
      >
      > ***Begin Forwarded message from me***
      >
      > Along with the discussion of reading together some steiner for the
      > holy nights, I also would suggest that we remember to pay attention
      > our holy night dreams. I have learned years ago that these dreams
      can
      > be most significant.
      >
      > First, it is important to form the habit of consciously remembering
      > dreams. For that, some people need to practice, while others do it
      > with ease. The so-called Lucid dreaming techniques might be
      helpful.
      > For those with difficulty remembering dreams, the intention to
      > remember one's dreams is important, and focussing on this before
      one
      > sleeps is helpful. Also, taking a pen(cil) and paper and placing it
      > beside one's bed is helpful. One can then practice waking up and
      > recording one's dreams in the middle of the night, then falling
      asleep
      > again and dreaming some more. Or, the practice of lucid dreaming is
      > continue dreaming even when one is "half awake" and writing down
      the
      > dream in the nighttime.
      >
      > Sometimes i don't want to disturb anyone else and so i go quietly
      > another room in the middle of the night and write down the dream
      then
      > return to bed and to sleep.
      >
      > Also, paying attention to the dream immediately upon waking is
      > important. What sounds do you hear? Songs? words? pictures?
      anything,
      > even if it seems insignificant, take note. During the day more may
      be
      > revealed about what seemed insignificant.
      >

      > With the holy night dream remembrance, one begins on the night of
      dec.
      > 25 and goes through jan 6 to Epiphany. Remember and record each
      > night's dreams, no matter how confused or insignificant or even
      > embarrasing these dreams, images, words, sounds seem. Keeping a
      > journal is best. The dreams from dec 25 to dec 31 are usually about
      > things during the past year, and from dec. 31-jan 1 through 6 about
      > the upcoming year.
      >
      > I am not an expert at doing this, but I can surely witness to the
      > significance of this practice. I have had dreams which are clear
      > augurs of the year to come. The thing is: some may not want to know
      > about the year ahead. But if you have the courage for this, it can
      be
      > important.
      >
      > I am sure there is more that i am learning: like why does all this
      > matter? I can offer one example of why it matters. One year i
      dreamed
      > that my father died. Now, it turned out that he did not die in the
      > coming year, but i learned some things about my attitude about my
      > father and his attitude about himself, aging and death.
      >
      > --Another even more striking example: someone else i know dreamed
      > during the holy nights from jan1-6 this year of her father's dying
      > this year, and also at the same time it was a dream of a Bill
      Moyers
      > program on death and dying. But in the waking life, when she tried
      > find the old bill moyer's (PBS taped) program on death, she could
      not
      > get hold of it. Now, what is interesting is that at that time it
      had
      > not been announced that bill moyers would present this year a new
      tape
      > on PBS on death and dying. This was something revealed only later.
      So,
      > when the person heard about the new program, she eagerly watched
      the
      > tape,and while she was viewing one of the programs, her father
      died.
      > All this is not just a cute gimmick or spiritual tomfoolery, but it
      > shows me and this person that there are spiritual unseen
      connections
      > which can be revealed and which teach lessons. We are still
      learning
      > the lessons from this dream.
      >
      > Also, this shows that during those holy nights we are especially
      close
      > to workings of higher worlds and can access what is important for
      our
      > work of service (not merely for selfish reasons).
      >
      > Blessings,
      > elaine
      > --- End forwarded message ---
    • elaine upton
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2000
        Hello "radistasti",
        Thank you for your post. Emil Bock has a wonderful way of putting things
        --these Christlich spiritual matters. I love what you shared from him on the
        Holy Nights, and yes, it confirms what was said in my post about holy night
        dreams. May we all look back deeply and then forward into the Future
        "preparing the way".
        Blessings,
        elaine
        P.S. are you rick--or?