Colony Collapse

  • 888
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 23, 2008
      http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=6234
      The Truth Seeker - Are GM Crops Killing Bees?

      I found this:
      Nearly ninety years ago Christian visionary and teacher Rudolph
      Steiner predicted the approach of the current crisis in bee keeping.
      Steiner gave a series of lectures on bees and ants to the workers at
      the Goetheanum in Dornach, Switzerland in the 1920's. Among the
      audience was a professional beekeeper, Mr Müller, who contributed to
      these lectures in the form of insights and questions. However, he
      disagreed vehemently and showed no understanding when Steiner
      explained that the modern method of breeding queens (using the larvae
      of worker bees, a practice that had already been in use for about
      fifteen years) would have long-term detrimental effects, so grave that:

      "A century later all breeding of bees will cease if only artificially
      produced bees are used (November 10). . . . It is quite correct that
      we can't determine this today; it will have to be delayed until a
      later time. Let's talk to each other again in one hundred years, Mr
      Müller, then we'll see what kind of opinion you'll have at that point".

      There is more in Rudolf Steiner's Nine Lectures on Bees. I don't know
      if it's online.

      From Hone's "Ancient Mysteries Described" (quoted by Hargreave Jennings):

      "The Holie Church of Rome herself doth compare the incomprehensible
      generation of the Sonne of God from His Father, together with His
      birth out of the pure and undefiled Virgine Marie, unto the Bees, -
      which were in verie deede a great blasphemie, if the bees were not of
      so great valour and virtue" (value and dignity).
      - Beehive of the Romish Church

      -Bruce
    • Nina
      Message 40 of 40 , May 23, 2008
        Hi Carol, Val, Everyone,
        Had opportunity recently to read Bobby Matherne's reviews of the
        Russian "Anastasia - Ringing Cedars" series. There was mention of
        bees and biodynamic agriculture. All in all, very enjoyable read. She
        details creating a "Space of Love" small homestead. (In one of the
        later sequels there was comment about how Bush retreated for month in
        Texas after 911,to his Space there...surely that would elicit
        opinions here.) Thanks to Bobby for spreading awareness of changes in
        Russia - NINA
        http://www.doyletics.com/arj/anasta01.htm

        "[page 74] "Right now I shall take a look with my ray and locate,
        at a distance, some of those people you call dachniks.
        After a period of silence, she began to say softly:
        "An old woman is unwrapping a piece of cheese cloth in
        which cucumber seeds have been soaking. The seeds have already begun
        to develop quite a bit, and I can see little sprouts. now she has
        picked up a seed. I have suggested to her that should not soak the
        seeds so much — they will become deformed when they are planted, and
        this kind of water is not good for them — the seed will go bad. She
        thinks she herself must have guessed that. And that is partially
        true — I just helped her guess a bit. Now she will share her idea and
        tell other people about it. This little deed is done."

        This was remarkable enough, but what she reveals about the "Seed as
        physician" in Chapter Eleven should make everyone come alert. In the
        USA where so much of our food is grown in areas completely
        disconnected from our homes, we rarely eat food whose seeds we have
        planted, up until now. The dachniks in Russia are leading the world
        in this area by growing so much of the food that they consume. I saw
        an estimate somewhere that over fifty percent of all vegetables
        consumed in Russia comes from dachnik gardens.

        First Anastasia explains the connection must be established between
        the seed and the human body. My wife and I have been practicing bio-
        dynamic gardening around our property for more than five years now.
        This involves stirring a barrel compost material which looks like a
        loose form of peat moss into rainwater for twenty minutes and
        flipping the resulting liquid over all of our plants after nightfall.
        I had wondered why the long time of stirring when the compost
        material doesn't dissolve into the water, but is merely suspended in
        it. After reading what Anastasia says below, I came to understand
        that we were perhaps adding our own body's information into the
        liquid as we stirred it over and over. In the process of adding the
        compost, we take a handful and place it into the container for
        stirring and our hands makes close contact with the compost. This is
        one example of how Rudolf Steiner's bio-dynamic preparations and
        suggestions match those of Anastasia. Another is that they both
        strongly suggest avoiding chemical fertilizers or poisons because of
        the damage they do to the underlying plant and insect life in the
        garden.

        [page 77] "Every seed you plant contains within itself an
        enormous amount of information about the Universe. Nothing made by
        human hands can compare with this information either in size or
        accuracy. Through the help of these data the seed knows the exact
        time, down to the millisecond, when it is to come alive, grow — what
        juices it is to take from the Earth, how to make use of the rays of
        the celestial bodies — the Sun, Moon and stars, what it is to grow
        into, what fruit to bring forth. These fruits are designed to sustain
        Man's life. More powerfully and effectively than any manufactured
        drugs of the present or future, these fruits are capable of
        counteracting and withstanding any disease of the human body. But to
        this end the seed must know about the human condition. So that during
        the maturation process it can satiate its fruit with the right
        correlation of substances to heal a specific individual of his
        disease, if indeed he has it or is prone to it."

        The next step she suggests seems a bit extreme, but it is definitely
        a way of directly communicating the status of one's body and its
        specific requirements to the plant so that it may adjust its produce
        to supply exactly those requirement.
        ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
        [page 81] "If you make connections with the plants in your
        garden-plot, they will take care of you and cure you. They will make
        the right diagnoses all by themselves and prepare the most effective
        medicine especially designed for you."

        When Anastasia told Vladimir that bees should be kept on the garden
        plot, he objected, saying that is difficult, and she replied that it
        is easy. "How?" he asked, and she meditated silently for a long time
        before answering. Her answer came as complete instructions for
        building a naturally shaped beehive without all the mechanical
        trappings of a commercial beehive. An old tree trunk of a deciduous
        tree will suffice if it is hollow inside, about 4 feet long with a
        hollow about 16 inches running its length. Or simply build one out of
        deciduous tree lumber such as ash, pecan, etc, using boards about two
        inches thick with triangle pieces in the four corners to simulate a
        circular inside. The complete instructions are on page 83, including
        where to place, how to remove honey, how to attract the initial
        swarm, when to harvest the honey, and how much to take. I am no
        beekeeper, but these instructions on pages 83 through 85 seem full of
        wise advice and make it seem easy enough for anyone to add a natural
        beehive to one's small garden plot.

        Given that bees seem to be dying off in commercial hives in certain
        parts of the USA (and Europe), this may be life-saving advice for
        bees and human beings who can become independent of commercial
        providers for their supply of honey. The Bible talks of a promise
        of "a land flowing with milk and honey," and assumes that everyone
        knows why it is important to have a milk and honey, but never
        explains why it is important. This is a corollary of Rudolf Steiner's
        dictum that "discussion begins when knowledge ends," namely, "no
        discussion is necessary when everyone knows." People of biblical
        times knew that milk has important constructive forces for human
        infants and honey has important constructive forces for aged people.
        Thus a "land flowing with milk and honey" would have beautiful
        babies, children, and grandparents.

        Here are three snippets dealing with honeycombs, bee stings, and
        harvesting the honey:

        [page 84] "Bees build their honeycombs at a specific distance
        apart to facilitate both ventilation and defense against their
        enemies, and any human intervention breaks down this system. Instead
        of spending their time gathering honey and raising offspring, the
        bees are obliged to fix what has been broken."

        [page 85] "Bees only sting when people act aggressively toward
        them, wave them off, become afraid or irritated inside — not
        necessarily at the bees, but just at anyone. The bees feel this and
        will not tolerate the rays of any dark feelings. Besides, they may
        attack those parts of the body where there are channels connecting
        with some diseased internal organ or where the protective aura has
        been torn, and so forth."

        [page 85] "Open the panel, break off the hanging honeycomb and
        extract the sealed honey and pollen. Only do not be greedy. It is
        important to leave part of it for the bees for the winter. In fact,
        it is better not to collect any honey at all during the first year."

        To summarize, let the bees make their own honeycomb, if they do sting
        you — it will be beneficial to you, and leave some honey for the hive
        when you harvest. "