Fwd: O Holy Night(s)!

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2000
      Hello all,

      Here's a post i sent to ark, and am now sending it to you. It's about
      paying attention to dreams, particularly the dreams you have on this
      upcoming series of Holy Nights!

      ***Begin Forwarded message from me***

      Along with the discussion of reading together some steiner for the
      holy nights, I also would suggest that we remember to pay attention to
      our holy night dreams. I have learned years ago that these dreams can
      be most significant.

      First, it is important to form the habit of consciously remembering
      dreams. For that, some people need to practice, while others do it
      with ease. The so-called Lucid dreaming techniques might be helpful.
      For those with difficulty remembering dreams, the intention to
      remember one's dreams is important, and focussing on this before one
      sleeps is helpful. Also, taking a pen(cil) and paper and placing it
      beside one's bed is helpful. One can then practice waking up and
      recording one's dreams in the middle of the night, then falling asleep
      again and dreaming some more. Or, the practice of lucid dreaming is to
      continue dreaming even when one is "half awake" and writing down the
      dream in the nighttime.

      Sometimes i don't want to disturb anyone else and so i go quietly to
      another room in the middle of the night and write down the dream then
      return to bed and to sleep.

      Also, paying attention to the dream immediately upon waking is
      important. What sounds do you hear? Songs? words? pictures? anything,
      even if it seems insignificant, take note. During the day more may be
      revealed about what seemed insignificant.

      With the holy night dream remembrance, one begins on the night of dec.
      25 and goes through jan 6 to Epiphany. Remember and record each
      night's dreams, no matter how confused or insignificant or even
      embarrasing these dreams, images, words, sounds seem. Keeping a
      journal is best. The dreams from dec 25 to dec 31 are usually about
      things during the past year, and from dec. 31-jan 1 through 6 about
      the upcoming year.

      I am not an expert at doing this, but I can surely witness to the
      significance of this practice. I have had dreams which are clear
      augurs of the year to come. The thing is: some may not want to know
      about the year ahead. But if you have the courage for this, it can be
      important.

      I am sure there is more that i am learning: like why does all this
      matter? I can offer one example of why it matters. One year i dreamed
      that my father died. Now, it turned out that he did not die in the
      coming year, but i learned some things about my attitude about my
      father and his attitude about himself, aging and death.

      --Another even more striking example: someone else i know dreamed
      during the holy nights from jan1-6 this year of her father's dying
      this year, and also at the same time it was a dream of a Bill Moyers
      program on death and dying. But in the waking life, when she tried to
      find the old bill moyer's (PBS taped) program on death, she could not
      get hold of it. Now, what is interesting is that at that time it had
      not been announced that bill moyers would present this year a new tape
      on PBS on death and dying. This was something revealed only later. So,
      when the person heard about the new program, she eagerly watched the
      tape,and while she was viewing one of the programs, her father died.
      All this is not just a cute gimmick or spiritual tomfoolery, but it
      shows me and this person that there are spiritual unseen connections
      which can be revealed and which teach lessons. We are still learning
      the lessons from this dream.

      Also, this shows that during those holy nights we are especially close
      to workings of higher worlds and can access what is important for our
      work of service (not merely for selfish reasons).

      Blessings,
      elaine
      --- End forwarded message ---
    • radistasi@peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000
        Elaine,in your post on the Holy Nights and their relationship to
        dreams you made an interesting comment and personal observation
        saying,
        "With the holy night dream remembrance, one begins on the night of
        dec. 25 and goes through jan 6 to Epiphany. Remember and record each
        night's dreams, no matter how confused or insignificant or even
        embarrasing these dreams, images, words, sounds seem. Keeping a
        journal is best. The dreams from dec 25 to dec 31 are usually about
        things during the past year, and from dec. 31-jan 1 through 6 about
        the upcoming year."
        Currently, I have been reading Emil Bock's 'The Rhythm of the
        Christian Year' and he too made an interesting comment that is
        congruent with yours. He said that January 1 is NOT a date that was
        picked arbitrarily as you point out in the separation of past and
        future dreams. It purposefully marks the mid-point between Dec.25 and
        Jan.6. Dec.25 to Jan.1 is when we look 'BACK' to earthly 'HISTORY'
        (Matthew Jesus) and heavenly 'HISTORY' (Luke Jesus). Jan.1 through
        Jan.6 is when we look 'FORWARD' to the apocalyptic,
        revelatory 'FUTURE EPIPHANY' of the ever on-going Second Coming of
        Christ and its gradual transfiguration of the earth. The Roman god
        Janus (January)was particularly selected to mark this time as he was
        the double-faced god who looks both forward and backward.[rick
        distasi]

        --- In anthroposophy@egroups.com, "elaine upton" <elaineupton@h...>

      • elaine upton
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2000
          Hello "radistasti",
          Thank you for your post. Emil Bock has a wonderful way of putting things
          --these Christlich spiritual matters. I love what you shared from him on the
          Holy Nights, and yes, it confirms what was said in my post about holy night
          dreams. May we all look back deeply and then forward into the Future
          "preparing the way".
          Blessings,
          elaine
          P.S. are you rick--or?