Re: [anthroposophy] The Soul's Calendar, Week 33

  • elaine upton
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2000
      Hello starman and all,
      This one mantra from the Soul Calendar is reall speaking to me.

      This past weekend I went to an exhibit of Impressionist paintings (monet,
      renoir, pisarro, van gogh, etc. and pre-impressionists) in Richmond, VA. The
      exhibit was wonderful, and when viewing I was particularly struck by one
      piece of Pisarro--a winter forest landscape wherein a small figure of a
      woman carrying a pail (i forget the name of the painting). Anyway, when
      viewing it so much flooded me-feelings, thoughts. I leaned in to the
      painting and said to myself, "here i am, so near to Pisarro's soul, or That
      Soul, or here he is so near to me." Moreover, i was thinking how the
      presence of the woman/human figure added depth to the snowy forest
      landscape, and also thinking of how the forest on its own was nothing. What
      is needed is the human presence--the woman figure helps, but more the
      presence of the Artist and the presence of the viewer.

      Then, later when I tried to draw a simple perspective drawing (not simple
      for me) I realized that the perspective was not working out because I was
      not really seeing and not really seeing my own seeing as part of the
      drawing. Seeing my seeing is one way of defining *perspective.*

      So, the so-called world out there, as the Mantra says, is but Death "without
      my Soul's-Living-in-it", as the Mantra says.

      This is a lesson I am learning, not only in drawing but in the quality of
      living/seeing/en-souling. I guess the Impressionists had some sense of
      this, and what a powerful gift they gave to the world suffering from the
      death of naive realism in art.

      This Mantra for week 33 is also about the very purpose of Mantra, that we
      enter them not through the words but through living into the soul of the
      Mantra.

      In thanksgiving,
      elaine

      >From: starmann77@...
      >((...))

      > The mantra ((...snip the German))
      >
      >Now I feel for the first time the World
      >That, without my Soul's Living-With-it,
      >As only a frozen empty Life
      >And without Power is revealed;
      >All in the Soul of new Shaping,
      >If it stays in itself, can find only Death.
      >
      > For those not familiar with the use of mantras:
      > The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or Imaginations to awaken
      >spiritual sight and mantras to begin Inspiration or spiritual hearing. The
      >meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but
      >rather
      >reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience.

    • Morgan Vierheller
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2000
        Dear Elaine,

        I teach drawing and am also an artist (though I tend toward sculpture).
        I wish I could help you with seeing your seeing.  I know exactly what you mean.
        Let me try:)

        One point perspective:
        A horizon line is something that is observable.  It is the place where everything above it radiates upward and everthing below it radites downward.
        The point is called a vanishing point.

                                                    / \

        Thank you for the insight into the painting.  Do yo remember the title?

        Morgan