Basic work recommendations

  • jla
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      To add to Elaine recommendations:

      I would steer someone new to other works initially. The ones mentioned are difficult and vague at times compared to the similar material he gave in some lectures after 1904. Many people find At the Gates of Spiritual Science one of the best intro cycles he ever gave. Esoteric Cosmology or an Outline of Esoteric Science are also good.. The problem with Occult Science and Theosophy is that they are  dry and deliberate whereas these other lecture cycles were intended to cover the same ground but in a living relationship with the audience. As such, RS could sense and feel where the "stuck places" were in the audience and went further in some details and made things more "visible" to the listeners.  At the Gates of Spiritual Science is now republished under a different title.Anthroposophic Press can be emailed or called and one can find out what the new title is.

      jeff

      elaine upton wrote:

      Hello Art,
      Thanks for your post. It's great to be new to STeiner, or, As Rilke said,
      always to be new or beginning again.
      Ancient principles: Steiner had a lot to offer about these, in almost all
      his works. Most people begin with his OCCULT SCIENCE, or perhaps with
      THEOSOPHY (that title is misleading--because Steiner broke off from the
      theosophical society, as you may know, but some of his basic offerings are
      in that book).

      There are other places to start also. His autobiography is very helpful.

      Be well,
      elaine