upside-down 3folding (was: Schichten Urteilen)

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2007
      Tom wrote:

      >>I turn to the incisive anthropophical [sic]
      insights of Valentin Tomberg, who, in one of
      his Bible study pamplhlets [sic] presented the
      threefold differentiation of not only the human
      organism but of the social order.

      (1) SPIRIT ---THINKING-----Cultural
      Sphere -----Head/Nervous system
      (2) SOUL ------FEELING ----- Rights
      Sphere -----Heart/Lung System
      (3) BODY------WILLING ------
      Economic Sphere-----Metabolic/Limb System

      >>All the above is directly from Steiner. . . .<<

      Robert writes:

      No, that is not directly from Steiner; it is
      directly the inverse of what Steiner said about
      the 3fold social order. (It may well be
      directly from Tomberg; I don't know. But if
      so, it seems yet another confirmation of Marie
      Steiner's very apt and prescient description of
      Tomberg as being "lost in delusion" --
      prescient because she wrote those words long
      before Tomberg openly joined the Jesuitic-
      Hermetic occult "stream". [Well, not quite
      openly; he did make an inept attempt to
      maintain anonymity. But the important point is
      that he took a complete, head-first plunge into
      that anti-Anthroposophical stream and abandoned
      even the muddled claim to be doing
      Anthroposophy.] And perhaps, in fairness to
      Tomberg, I should note that the later,
      Jesuitical Tomberg effectively disowned his
      earlier, allegedly Anthroposophical writings; I
      presume that this "Bible study pamphlet" was
      among those. -- But all this is parenthetical;
      right now, the important thing is to get the
      3fold order right side up.)

      Here is what Steiner did say in his basic book
      on the 3fold order:

      ". . . . the economic member of a healthy
      social organism. This member is comparable to
      the head system of the human organism . . . ."
      (*Basic Issues of the Social Question*, Chapter 2)

      In this book he didn't explain in much detail
      why this analogy is correct and why the other
      one is upside-down; the correct analogy is
      implicit in his whole discussion. But
      elsewhere he was more explicit on this point
      (for instance, in the lecture of June 24, 1920
      [Stuttgart; published in *Polarities in the
      Evolution of Mankind*]).

      In the individual human organism the metabolic-
      limb system supplies the life forces; the
      rhythmic-heart-lung system and the head-nerve-
      sense system "live on" these life forces.
      More, the head system brings death forces into
      the organism. -- In the social organism the
      cultural-spiritual "sphere" brings the life
      forces; the other two spheres "live on" these
      social-life forces. And in the social organism
      the economic sphere brings death forces.

      So, the correct analogy puts the economic
      social sphere in correspondence to the head-
      nerve system and the cultural sphere in
      correspondence to the metabolic-limb system.
      (And the legal-political sphere corresponds to
      the rhythmic system.)

      And: making this correct analogy is not merely
      an exercise in anal-retentive pedantry. If we
      make the wrong analogy, we might miss the
      important fact that the spirit, the culture,
      supplies the essential foundation of the living
      social organism . . . and miss the important
      fact that no society can live based only on an
      economy. The wrong analogy essentially makes
      the same fundamental error that underlies
      Marxist social theory: economic determinism.
      Marxism sees economic processes as fundamental
      to society and sees "culture" as being only a
      "superstructure", an "ideology". Marx not only
      stood Hegel on his head; he stood sociology
      upside down and ontologically inverted the
      spiritual and the material.

      Society can develop an economy only because
      that social organism first comes to life
      through the spirit; when economic forces
      predominate over the cultural-spiritual in a
      society, that society is dying. This is
      fundamental. Steiner got it right; Marx and
      Tomberg got it wrong.

      Robert Mason

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Stephen Hale
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2007
        In our time, it is in fact the East that needs the infuse of the
        Economic Sphere in their lives, while the West so desperately needs
        the infusion of the Spiritual Sphere in their over-consumptive
        lives. Hopefully we can see the disparity.

        Steve

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason