Kaspar Hauser as the Pity-Party-Poster Boy of Misery

  • tmasthenes13
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007
      I posted this on AT as a response to Dottie. It has great relevance
      for this group as well.

      Tom

      =====================================

      Hi Dottie,

      Thank you for bringing up Kaspar Hauser here, because he holds the key
      to understanding our karmic knots which make for such beautifully ugly
      great lumps in our destiny tapestries. (Magic Persian flying carpets
      anyone? Sorry for that Arab reference. I hope Carol will fill us in on
      the soul-spiritual background of such Persian vehicles.)

      Of course, Dottie, you got me reminiscing about the great performance
      Glen Williamson put on during the last Anthroposophia Conference back
      in April 2006 which you so ably organized and made successful. Here
      is your message to AT about it.

      He did his one man show of Kasper Hauser and it was the most
      professionally done theater piece I have ever seen in all my years on
      the anthro circuit.

      You mention a keyword up above in your response to Gman. That is
      "misery." You know the old saying "Misery loves company." Such a
      saying evokes the Grail motto "Durch Mitleid Wissen" or "Wisdom
      through compassion."

      Now we live in an age of such enhanced self-consciousness that I call
      it "hyper-self-consciousness" in order to call attention to its most
      obvious characteristic: our modern, post Kali Yuga phenomenon of
      absolutely phenomenal self-absorption in the physical body that is
      best described as Narcissism, or the shrinks have a term for it
      NPD=Narcissistic Personality Disorder.)

      In anthroposophical terms, such deep self-absorption results from the
      etheric body, in its alias as the "formative forces" body, becoming
      such a photographically identical copy of the physical body that it
      becomes trapped in, or paralyzed by the deadness of the physical body.
      Thus does Imagination truly become captured and paralyzed by the
      physical. (Also, drinking too much coffee enhances this photographic
      realism effect.)

      But from the viewpoint of the hierarchies, such a happening is quite
      beyond both Lucifer (fallen Angel) and Ahriman (fallen Archangel). It
      is Asuric in nature; therefore fallen Archon. Asuras are fallen
      Spirits of Personality, also called Spirits of Darkness.

      [[[ NOTE TO CAROL: Please consider that the next higher level, the
      Exusiai are the Spirits of Form. You made reference to our
      personality-driven Internet interactions. So we have this dilemma that
      the etheric body is the formative force body. Ahriman, a fallen
      Archangel, has a keen focus on invading the etheric body, and then we
      have the Spirits of Form. But in-between are the Asuras, the Spirits
      of Personality, also called the Spirits of Darkness.]]]

      All this is to reach the observation that when the Grail motto is
      followed today, and absorbed into our Spirit of Darkness-inspired
      Narcissistic personalities with our intensely sensitive,
      hypervigilant, hyper-self-consciousness, then the compassion is
      trapped inside, as it must be, for this phase of our evolution. In
      short, we have become masters of Self-Pity. I would venture to
      estimate that 99% of what we deem as acts of compassion for others are
      really acts of feeling sorry for ourselves.

      And Dottie, all this is mean as a sincere tribute to you, because you
      perceived in me this deeply ingrained self-pity in which I wallow. You
      recognized it correctly as deriving from my devout Catholic childhood,
      self-pity alternating with a deep sense of entitlement.

      You have also recognized it in others, namely in Joel Wendt and in
      Bradford Riley, these Amfortas wounded warriors, whining in their
      maudlin, melodramatic --- but NOT melancholic! --- self-pity, crying
      in their respective beers, over the terribly unfair blows of fate that
      struck them early on in life. I also notice that this particular style
      of "pity partying" is very much a "guy thing."

      Ladies here could discuss that gender-related aspect, but what I
      notice about you, Dottie, is that your ability to recognize this
      whining self-pity in others, is an expression of the fact that, you
      yourself know how to wallow. As the saying goes: "It takes one to know
      one."

      And what I notice now is that you have retreated from our
      conversations here, to lick your wounds, as I have mine, and that it
      is highly significant that you should now be Kaspar Hauser. speaking
      about misery in the context of Kaspar Hauser.

      What I have realized this morning, on the Day of the Dead, is that
      Kasper Hauser has become the "poster boy" as it were, of
      anthroposophical self-pity partying. Indeed the figure of Kaspar
      Hauser replaces the figure of Parsifal in this arena.

      I can hear the wailing and moaning right now: Oh, if only Kaspar
      Hauser had lived; if only Kaspar Hauser had taken his rightful place
      of destiny, then Central Europe would have become this utopia; we
      never would have had the world wars, never would have had Hitler, on
      and on, oh woe is me, woe is us, wah, wah, wah, wah. Blubber-blubber,
      blubber. Alas, alack, We are stricken. We are doomed.

      Someone please play a dirge on violin. "Hearts and Flowers" anyone?

      Wait, better yet. Frank, have the swing band cue up: "Sentimental
      Journey."

      So, Dottie, thank you for sharing your own misery with us through the
      figure of Kaspar Hauser. We couldn't have a pity party without you.

      OK, everybody, let's cry us all a river!!!

      Tom
    • carol
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007

        Tom wrote: "And Dottie, all this is mean as a sincere tribute to you, because you perceived

        in me this deeply ingrained self-pity in which I wallow. You recognized it correctly as deriving from my devout Catholic childhood, self-pity alternating with a deep sense of entitlement.

        Oh come on Tom, that self pity VERY likey has elaborate deeper roots. For example: You probably haven't reached the threshold of pain that's needed to be elevated on the mystic Christic path. Your conscious organising faculty likely hasn't been able to identify EVERY 'Christ in me' pain, in an objective enough fashion...

        Tom also wrote:"You have also recognized it in others, namely in Joel Wendt and in Bradford Riley, these Amfortas wounded warriors, whining in their maudlin, melodramatic --- but NOT melancholic! --- self-pity, crying in their respective beers, over the terribly unfair blows of fate that struck them early on in life. I also notice that this particular style of "pity partying" is very much a "guy thing."

        Oh please, do couple up B Riley with the other.

        It's funny how you don't see the ' light that envelops' and 'rays out warmth' from the soul presence which Bradford's writtings convey. Such a fine, formative wisdom filled mix of Christic and Jewish etheric forces. (Often enough)

        The other, I dare not call upon his name, is a shallow enough egocentric Anthro, who's soul socializes with others on pretty much a surface level. Forget about Wisdom as a living, spiritual force with this guy, he's full of  pedantry.

        (How and why in heaven's name have you placed these two together? I beleive that Mr. Tom has some Anthro to do.)

        'OK, everybody, let's cry us all a river!!!'

        Is it because it's Friday and you sense the Asuras in the air that you don't feel it's right to ponder the mystical stuff?

        C.

        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "tmasthenes13" <TomBuoyed@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > anthroposophical self-pity partying. Indeed the figure of Kaspar
        > Hauser replaces the figure of Parsifal in this arena.
        >
        > I can hear the wailing and moaning right now: Oh, if only Kaspar
        > Hauser had lived; if only Kaspar Hauser had taken his rightful place
        > of destiny, then Central Europe would have become this utopia; we
        > never would have had the world wars, never would have had Hitler, on
        > and on, oh woe is me, woe is us, wah, wah, wah, wah. Blubber-blubber,
        > blubber. Alas, alack, We are stricken. We are doomed.
        >
        > Someone please play a dirge on violin. "Hearts and Flowers" anyone?
        >
        > Wait, better yet. Frank, have the swing band cue up: "Sentimental
        > Journey."
        >
        > So, Dottie, thank you for sharing your own misery with us through the
        > figure of Kaspar Hauser. We couldn't have a pity party without you.
        >
        > OK, everybody, let's cry us all a river!!!

      • carol
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2007

          Editing job :  Oh please, do NOT couple up B Riley with the other.

> [...]
          > > anthroposophical self-pity partying. Indeed the figure of Kaspar
          > > Hauser replaces the figure of Parsifal in this arena.
          > >
          > > I can hear the wailing and moaning right now: Oh, if only Kaspar
          > > Hauser had lived; if only Kaspar Hauser had taken his rightful place
          > > of destiny, then Central Europe would have become this utopia; we
          > > never would have had the world wars, never would have had Hitler, on
          > > and on, oh woe is me, woe is us, wah, wah, wah, wah. Blubber-blubber,
          > > blubber. Alas, alack, We are stricken. We are doomed.
          > >
          > > Someone please play a dirge on violin. "Hearts and Flowers" anyone?
          > >
          > > Wait, better yet. Frank, have the swing band cue up: "Sentimental
          > > Journey."
          > >
          > > So, Dottie, thank you for sharing your own misery with us through the
          > > figure of Kaspar Hauser. We couldn't have a pity party without you.
          > >
          > > OK, everybody, let's cry us all a river!!!

        • tmasthenes13
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007

            > Tom also wrote:"You have also recognized it in others, namely in Joel
            > Wendt and in Bradford Riley, these Amfortas wounded warriors, whining in
            > their maudlin, melodramatic --- but NOT melancholic! --- self-pity,
            > crying in their respective beers, over the terribly unfair blows of fate
            > that struck them early on in life. I also notice that this particular
            > style of "pity partying" is very much a "guy thing."
            >
            > Oh please, do couple up B Riley with the other.
            >
            > It's funny how you don't see the ' light that envelops' and 'rays out
            > warmth' from the soul presence which Bradford's writtings convey. Such a
            > fine, formative wisdom filled mix of Christic and Jewish etheric forces.
            > (Often enough)
            >
            > The other, I dare not call upon his name, is a shallow enough egocentric
            > Anthro, who's soul socializes with others on pretty much a surface
            > level. Forget about Wisdom as a living, spiritual force with this guy,
            > he's full of pedantry.
            >
            > (How and why in heaven's name have you placed these two together? I
            > beleive that Mr. Tom has some Anthro to do.)

            Carol,

            In my focus on responding to Dottie, I forgot to embed the
            foundational structure.

            I've mentioned before, the favorite saying of Rene Querido when faced
            with paradoxical or contradictory statements and dilemmas. He would
            say in German "Schichten Urteilen" which literally means "Levels;
            Judgements"

            More properly translated, it means: "Make different judgments
            according to different levels of reality."

            In the case here of B. Riley vs. J. Wendt, I need to establish the
            levels where they are equal and where they are not.

            For this I turn to the incisive anthropophical insights of Valentin
            Tomberg, who, in one of his Bible study pamplhlets presented the
            threefold differentiation of not only the human organism but of the
            social order.

            Let me do a chart of the three "Schichten"

            (1) SPIRIT ---THINKING-----Cultural Sphere -----Head/Nervous system
            (2) SOUL ------FEELING ----- Rights Sphere -----Heart/Lung System
            (3) BODY------WILLING ------Economic Sphere-----Metabolic/Limb System

            All the above is directly from Steiner. What Tomberg did was to look
            at the issue of the Part vs. The Whole

            At Level (1) The Part is GREATER THAN the Whole
            At Level (2) The Part is EQUAL TO the Whole
            At Level (3) The Part is LESS THAN the Whole

            In my post to Dottie, I was speaking about the SOUL level, doing the
            SOUL work. At that level, B. Riley is equal to J. Wendt is equal to
            me, to you, to everyone else. That's the level of equality.

            On the SPIRIT level, where the Part is greater than the Whole and thus
            there is no equality, you are correct in judging that B. Riley is a
            relative "Goethe" as compared to J. Wendt as relative "Hottentot."

            This whole issue of SOUL work is what I have had to tend to during the
            last 7 years of my "walkabout," when I was far from the Steiner Internet.

            Robert Sardello makes a great deal of the fact that by and large
            anthropops and moms are loathe to do the SOUL work necessary to
            properly put the SPIRIT in perspective. What happens is that Anthros
            tend to dive into the SPIRIT pool and think that will automatically
            take care of the SOUL level. But it doesn't.

            As an example of my own SOUL work, I'll give you some of the
            modalities I did in the last 7 years, all outside the SPIRIT realm of
            anthroposophy.

            Rebirthing a la Leonard Orr; EFT (Emotional Freedom Therapy) Gary
            Craig; acupuncture; but best of all the Family Constellation Therapy
            work of Bert Hellinger.

            Also great insights from Lloyd deMause who has developed psychohistory.

            And indeed, in my last conversation with Dennis Klocek a year ago, we
            spoke about the need to do this soul work within anthroposophy, to
            experience in the body, the circumstances of not only childhood
            traumas, but of birth, pre-natal, even back to the time of conception.

            Steiner took care of the reincarnating soul up to the point of
            conception but he did not fill in at all the fetal experience and the
            birth experience that all these regressive therapists work with
            (Arthur Janov & Primal Therapy; Stan Grof and Holotropic Breathwork, etc.)

            Hope this clears up your concerns about comparisons.

            Tom.
          • carol
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007

              OK Tom, so you wrote:"In the case here of B. Riley vs. J. Wendt, I need to establish the levels where they are equal and where they are not.

              In my post to Dottie, I was speaking about the SOUL level, doing the SOUL work. At that level, B. Riley is equal to J. Wendt is equal to me, to you, to everyone else. That's the level of equality."

              A bit like in the sense of civil rights? That, on the 'soul' level, we are all equal, the very phenomena of soul experience must conform to a given equal 'meridian'?

              Thus, one thing I see you prove using this theory is that each and every one of us is a living soul, all equal in the eyes of God.

              Beyond that and idealy, not one of US living SOULs, regardless of the amount of effort we put into developing it through living, should not seek to justify a greater worth over and above let's say, our more lazy, or perhaps darker colored contemporary, because after all, we are all subject to one common Godhead and this Godhead requests of ALL SOULS equally, humility.

              This seems to me to represent a SOUL meridian.

              In the following quote of yours (Tom), you assume the right to incorporate EVERY living soul into (in my opinion) a questionable description. May I repeat, EVERY. Not only did you do this, but your description of a given soul affliction can be recognised by SOME as simplistic, quasi spiritual group psychology.

              Tom, are you aware of the dangers of digressing into a common greater GROUP soul experience, where  clatter of materialism is guaranteed to deafen and sheild the SOUL from beholding Spirit in EVERY encounter?

              "All this is to reach the observation that when the Grail motto is followed today, and absorbed into our Spirit of Darkness-inspired Narcissistic personalities with our intensely sensitive, hypervigilant, hyper-self-consciousness, then the compassion is trapped inside, as it must be, for this phase of our evolution. In short, we have become masters of Self-Pity. I would venture to estimate that 99% of what we deem as acts of compassion for others are really acts of feeling sorry for ourselves."

              Perhaps Tom may in the first place be an individual who enjoys thought forces WELL OVER heart forces.

              That would be MY quasi spiritual psychological interpretation.

              Tom wrote: "And Dottie, all this is mean as a sincere tribute to you, because you perceived in me this deeply ingrained self-pity in which I wallow. You recognized it correctly as deriving from my devout Catholic childhood, self-pity alternating with a deep sense of entitlement.

              Tom, I don't go for this interpretation, which I'm guessing is a combination of Dotties' and Yours, though I give Dottie the benefit of beleiving that she is capable of better.

              Again Tom, the following is really my preference.

              "You probably haven't reached the threshold of pain that's needed to be elevated on the mystic Christic path. Your conscious organising faculty likely hasn't been able to identify EVERY 'Christ in me' pain, in an objective enough fashion..."

              (I'm now wondering if you even know what a 'Christ in me' pain is.)

              Tom, pain which torments the body and soul, self pity, brings to my mind some of the writings of St Augustine. (?)

              This is in part, which lay at the 'foot' of MY metamorphosis before discovering Steiner at the youthful age of 23.

              There is also FEELING another's pain....

              At the age of 46, a dental pain 'adventure' occuring during the holiday season allowed me to UNDERSTAND the pain felt by enough Iraqi and Palestianian mothers who must helplessly confort their seriously mutilated and injured children,  themselves forced to sustain incredible pain without adequate medical supplies or facilities.

              This experience latter developed into an understanding of what Michael's wish is of me.

              Also, there is an incident which I read of Rudolf Steiner experiencing- on the SOUL level. On one occasion that he walked down a street and approached a bookstore where books were displayed in the front window, he EXPERIENCED a stinging buzz. (Tom, would this constitute pleasure or pain?) As he reached the store front and gazed at the display, he discovered a situation where Goethe's Faust was being revered with a Mephistopheles quote.

              ...And so finally, my response to your theory, seems to fundamentaly require of me to break from it's form.

              C.

              PS.  If you really needed to know which 'etheric' influences sustained you while in the gestating period,  don't you think 'that which may come to greet' a  fully conscious soul would be a better authority than mediumship?

            • carol
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007

                Tom, I just so happened to read this lecture this morning as I interested in steeping my soul in little more deeply into the 'discussion' being elaborated in the 'Phanes' thread. This lecture represents one of the references which Steve brought forward.

                Planetary Spheres and Their Influence on Mans Life on Earth and in the Spiritual Worlds, London, 24th April, 1922

                http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/19220424p02.html

                I thought it might be also prove pertinent to your train of thought within this thread. Notice that it represents a lecture given in the latter part of Steiner's earthly life, to an audience familiar with Anthroposophic truths and perhaps most importantly, delivered to an English speaking people.

                RS: "And now in this present time — so said the earliest Christian initiates —

                it is given to man to behold Christ as One Who walked on Earth in an earthly body, and Who is seen by us in His true form when we behold Him as the Risen One — the Christ Who is in the Earth, and has seen the Mystery of the Earth and can now bring it about that this Mystery shall gradually flow into the evolution of mankind.

                ...the teachings of Paul; for Paul beheld the Radiance, raying inwards from the clouds, of that force which is the Power of the Sun, the super-corporeal Being, the Christ, Who in the Mystery of Golgotha descended to Earth, — the Cosmic Godhead united with the forces of the Sun..."

                Tom, I previously placed great importance on a living experience of Christ, of the one which breaks the barrier of concept based experienced reality and flows over into the 'depth' of physical sensation; a human experience of Christ experienced within one's intimate and immediate physical context. I would now like to add: an experience from which one's karmic orientation can be inspired in a more proper evolutionary direction should one apply oneself toward developing the ability to differentiate when and under which circumstances the 'Christ in me' is offended and PAINED.

                RS: "But now the time has come when it is of the highest importance for man to look back and call up once again in memory the spiritual understanding of Christianity that he had in the first centuries after Christ. Since that time man has gone through a development that has enabled him to attain a wonderful earthly wisdom...By the attainment of earthly wisdom, and by that alone, is man able to become free. In the near future this will, however, have the result that the anti-divine, the anti-Christian forces, will be able to seize hold of the souls of men. These anti-Christian forces, — I call them the Ahrimanic forces.

                For since 1899, the Dark Age — as the, prophets of old called it — is past and over. All around us is the spiritual world, the living spiritual world that can reveal itself to us; we can perceive it and take cognisance of it. And it is for us to listen and hear what the spiritual world is revealing to us."

                You cannot, I think, fail to see that in Cardinal Newman we have a strong personality imbued with a Christianity that is different from the Christianity of his environment. You will understand why he wanted to get away from the intellectual type of Christianity that he found around him, and dreamed of another kind of consciousness such as had been possessed by the first disciples of the Risen Christ, Follow his life further, note the significant words that he uttered at the time of his investiture, when

                he declared that there can be no salvation for religion, unless man receives a new revelation. Ponder it all, and it will grow clear to you that this earnest seeking is born of a deep and powerful longing that had come over from former lives on Earth. The man sensed the presence and impulse of those spiritual forces of which I spoke in the second part of my lecture. He felt — if but dimly — that it might be possible in our day, by undergoing special development, to attain a new initiation knowledge to receive a new revelation, And yet he himself ultimately accepted for his understanding of Christianity — a tradition! I need not tell you whither his search led him; you can read the story for yourselves. He strives to reach through the "gloom" to a "light" that is beyond, but remains all the time within the cloud. A deeper knowledge of his being reveals to us that Newman was not really to blame for this, rather was he in this respect a sacrifice, a victim of his age, a victim of the Ahrimanic forces — as I named them just now. These Ahrimanic forces had an extraordinarily strong influence on Cardinal Newman; they fell upon him and took captive his power of thought, which was consequently unable to develop freely and find its way into spirituality. For he who would today unfold his life in freedom must first of all be free in his thinking, must liberate his power of thought from the bondage of the brain."

                Now Tom, being a member of the English speaking community attached to a nation of same leaning, I find this interesting, especially that which follows.

                RS: "

                Ahriman achieves his greatest successes by shortening the second half of man's life after death. You know how a certain time elapses between death and a new birth. I have described in my Mystery Plays how this time consists of two halves, the second half taking its course after what I have called the Cosmic Midnight. It is this later half — the period from the Cosmic Midnight to the moment of new birth — that Ahriman tries to shorten. And by so doing he gets hold of the human brain and its thinking. With impetuous and savage energy, he fastens on the brain, and tries to hold men spellbound to the Earth, That is how the Ahrimanic forces are working today, — and in ever increasing measure; they try to bring man's power of thought evermore deeply into the earthly realm, away from the spiritual world. Human beings are thus incarnated one or two centuries too early. This method of attack on the part of the Ahrimanic forces must be overcome with spiritual energy and determination, At the time when Cardinal Newman was still holding the rudder of his life, he was even then incapable, for all his spiritual energy, of freeing his thought sufficiently, — or he would not have spoken as he did of the need for a new revelation, he would instead have found the way to it himself...

                The study of tragic figures such as his can bring home to us very forcibly the need of our time;

                and you will find many similar instances here in England. That is why it is so urgent that there should be understanding in this country of the need for that spiritual knowledge and spiritual life, from which Cardinal Newman was snatched away by the Ahrimanic forces. Spiritual knowledge and spiritual life must again be made accessible to mankind, if civilisation is to be saved from ruin.

                Insight

                into such connections as we have been considering can stimulate in us the resolve to do all in our power for the furtherance of the spiritual life of mankind. There is really no other possible course for us today. Let us, however, not be blind to the fact that the Ahrimanic powers are very strong. The truth to which we would bear witness has fierce and stubborn enemies, who are inspired by these Ahrimanic powers. Stronger, and ever stronger grow these powers! I want to say this to you today, that you may not be taken aback when you find that as soon as the anthroposophical movement begins to stand forth in the world, it will have to fight continually and increasingly with terrific enemy forces."

                Now Tom, these 'terrific enemy forces' are not only present to aggravate and oppose individuals who assume 'rank' within the Anthroposophical Society, we must not kid ourselves about that...

                And finally, I offer up these excepts as part of my deepened psychological interpretation towards your previously described personal affliction of self pity.

                Have a nice day, Carol.

                PS.  Raising one 'sheath' at a time.

              • Iris Sullivan
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
                  To Tom
                  The soul work you mention is a necessity. Yet I do not believe that we have to go back in time and uncover the wounds, because all the untransformed wounds we carry in our present and in every meeting we have.
                  In the color work I do as therapy, all of the past, including past incarnations that are an obstacle in this life are present in the relationship to light and dark as done by the individual. Before spirit, is the soul work. Art gives us the means to make changes on the paper thereby educating the soul to new feelings and ways of interacting when there is conflict and perceived stress.
                  Iris