Re: Judas Iscariot --> ????? ---> Leonardo

  • carol
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007

      V. and D.  The author has a german website:

       http://www.ladwein-reisen.de/veroeffentlich%20.html

      C.

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
        One of the mysteries Steiner unveiled was how the mythic issue of
        Oedipus was resolved in the circle of the disciples. Here we
        encounter one of the buried gems of insight around the karmic
        destiny of individuals gathered around the Christ Being.

        "There is a saga - it doesn't stand in the Gospels, but it is for
        that reason no less a Christian saga, and also a Christian truth,
        and it goes this way:

        There lived a married couple. This couple had no son for a long
        time. Then it was revealed to the mother in a dream (pay close
        attention to this) that she would have a son---but that this son
        would first kill the father, and then have a union with the mother,
        and he would bring a terrible calamity down upon his whole family.

        Once again you have a dream, as the oracle does with Oedipus; this
        means that here we have a remnant of the ancient clairvoyance. It
        was revealed in the ancient way to the mother, what was to happen.
        Was what was revealed to her sufficient, so as to see through the
        relationships of the world, so as to hinder the calamity? Let's ask
        the saga. It further tells us:

        Under the impression of this wisdom, which flowed to her from the
        dream, the mother took the child that was born to her, to the island
        of Kariot; there it was exposed to the mercy of the elements, but it
        was found by a neighboring queen. She took in the child and brought
        it up herself because they were childless. Later on this couple had
        a child of their own, and the foundling who had been taken in, soon
        felt neglected, and as a consequence of his passionate temperament,
        he killed the son of the royal couple. So now he could not stay
        there; he had to flee---and he came to the farm of the country
        gentleman, Pilate. There he soon became a foreman in the household.
        But then, one time, he got into a dispute with his neighbor, knowing
        only that it was his neighbor; in a fight he slew him---and did not
        know that it was his own father. And afterwards he married the
        neighbor's wife, his mother!

        This foundling was Judas Iscariot. And when he became aware of his
        horrible situation, he then fled again. And then, solely and alone
        he found mercy in the situation he was in, by him who had mercy for
        all who came near him--who not only sat at the same table with tax
        collectors and sinners, but also despite his deeply penetrating
        insight, took up this great sinner as well, for it was his task to
        work not merely for good men but for all human beings, and to lead
        them from sin into salvation. Thus Judas of Iscariot came into the
        vicinity of the Christ Jesus. And now he brought the calamity that
        was expressed in advance and had to work out, into the circle of
        Jesus Christ---in accordance with Schiller's saying, "That is just
        the curse of the evil deed, that, self-generating, it must bring
        evil to birth." He became the betrayer of Jesus Christ;
        fundamentally, what was to be fulfilled with the murder of his
        father and the marriage of his mother. But he stayed on, so to
        speak, as a tool, because he was to be a tool, the evil tool that
        was to bring about the good---and with that deed, so to speak, to
        carry out a deed beyond the fulfillment.

        He who is presented to us in Oedipus, as the consequence of the
        calamity that he brought about---from the moment on when he
        perceives this calamity-loses his eyesight. He, however, who has the
        same destiny through his connection to the remnants of the ancient
        heritage of original wisdom, he does not go blind; but he is
        predestined to carry out the destiny and to do what brings about the
        Mystery of Golgotha, which results in the physical death of him who
        is the "light of the World," and who brings the light of the world
        into effect at the healing of the man born blind. Oedipus had to
        lose his eyesight; Christ gave eyesight to the man born blind,---but
        he died because of him who had the character of Oedipus---all of
        which is to show us how the ancient wisdom becomes exhausted within
        humanity, how it is no longer sufficient to bring healing, peace,
        and love to men.

        For this the Christ impulse, with the event of Golgotha, was
        necessary. For this it was necessary that first of all that had to
        happen which appears to us as an external reflection in the wedding
        at Cana in Galilee, of the relationship of the Jesus Christ ego to
        his mother. Also for this, it was further necessary that something
        else happened, which the writer of John's Gospel thus describes:

        Down below the Cross-stood the mother, down below stood the
        disciple "whom the Lord loved", Lazarus-John, whom He had Himself
        initiated, and through whom. the wisdom of Christianity was to come
        down to posterity; he who was so to influence the astral body of
        human beings that the Christ principle could live in them. There,
        within the human astral body, the Christ principle was to come to
        life, and John was to be the one to pour it in! But for this, the
        Christ principle coming down from the cross, had to be united with
        the etheric principle, with the mother. Therefore Christ calls down
        from the cross the words, "From this hour on, this is-your mother---
        and this is your son." This means he binds together his wisdom, with
        the motherly principle!

        Thus we see how deep are not only the Gospels, but how deep all
        connections are in the being of the mysteries. Indeed, the ancient
        sagas stand in the same connection to the proclamations and Gospels
        of modern times, as prophecy to fulfillment. The ancient sagas show
        us one thing clearly in relation to the Oedipus saga and the Judas
        story: "Once upon a time there was an ancient divine wisdom. But it
        exhausted itself! And a new wisdom must come." And this new wisdom
        will bring human beings to the point, to which the ancient wisdom
        could no longer have brought them. What would have had to come
        about, without the Christ impulse-that the Oedipus saga tells us;,
        what the opposition to Christ was, the inflexible holding fast to
        the ancient wisdom-that the Judas saga tells us. But that, about
        which the ancient sagas and myths tell us, that it is not sufficient-
        this, the "new proclamation", the Gospel, tells us in a new light.
        The Gospel gives us answers to what the ancient sagas have expressed
        as pictures from the ancient wisdom. They have said: there can no
        longer come from the ancient wisdom what humanity needs for the
        future. But as the new wisdom, the Gospel tells us: I proclaim to
        you what humanity needs---but which would have never been able to
        come without the influence of the Christ principle, without the
        event of Golgotha." The Gospel of St. John, Jul. 4th, 1909, Kassel ~
        Rudolf Steiner
      • nadmateescu
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
          Hi Val,

          Sorry for the delay.
          Yes, the author seems to agree with this identification of the
          apostles. Indeed, the painting is well known due to it's dramatic
          display and of course, in a deeper study of it, we can find that it
          live and breath.(also can be "heared" due to it's pythagoreic
          proportions - Tetrad there)
          Da Vinci prepared this fresco for a long time and he studied how light
          falls on the walls of Santa Maria delle Grazie, before Easter and
          that's why he tried to use this light perspective into his painting.
          (as Rudolf Steiner indicated).
          The one holding the knife could be seen also in :
          http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/g/ghirland/domenico/4lastsup/1passign.jpg
          http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/b/bassano/jacopo/last_sup.jpg

          best regards,
          dan

          --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "isenhart7" <isenhart7@...> wrote:

          > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "nadmateescu" <nadmateescu@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Val,
          > >
          > > So, what's your opinion about the zodiac and apostles?
          >
          > Hi Dan!
          >
          > I'm assuming you mean by opinion who do I think represents what and how
          > are they configured? I thought the guy with the bum shoulder possibly
          > from knife throwing was Sagitarius. I thought the four groupings of
          > three apostles each reflected the seasons and that when I worked with
          > the painting long enough, especially as a reverse image, that the
          > painting actually began to ebb and flow or live and breath. I remember
          > that, for me, the ordering from right to left was Spring, Summer,
          > Winter, Fall.
          > >
          > > A work on this masterpiece of Leonardo can be found in the book of
          > > Michael Ladwein, (The Last Supper -A Cosmic Drama and an Act of
          > > Redemption, http://www.steinerbooks.org/detail.html?id=1902636759);
          > > but it seems to me that the author still not reach some hidden aspects
          > > of it.
          >
          > That looks like a good book. Does the author consider the gray haired
          > apostle with one hand on John's shoulder and the other holding a knife,
          > to be Peter?-Val

        • Stephen Hale
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
            <nadmateescu@...> wrote:
            > The one holding the knife could be seen also in :
            > http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/b/bassano/jacopo/last_sup.jpg
            >
            > best regards,
            > dan

            Dan and Val, this is the very significant painting in which the
            proof is given, in visual form, that Christ had put the disciples in
            a kind of dreamy clairvoyant state of consciousness. So to buffer
            them from the awesome reality of what was about to occur.

            According to what Steiner says in "The Fifth Gospel", it was Peter
            who was most buffered, and that is why his confused state of mind
            made him deny Christ three times before the cock crowed. It was
            because of what was instigated and depicted here in this painting.

            And Peter woke up and wept over what he had been told beforehand.
            He remembered it in waking consciousness. The spell had been
            broken. Henceforth, he saw it all. I mean all.