Fwd: Re: Marie Steiner's Negro Dances

  • isenhart7
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
      > --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "tmasthenes13" <TomBuoyed@>
      > wrote:

      > Does anyone else find a supreme irony here in that the most recent
      > biographer of Rudolf Steiner was just elected to the Rock'n'Roll
      Hall
      > of Fame in Cleveland?
      >
      > And in the context of our racial discussion, that his group's name
      is:
      > Blondie?

      Tom, I think it just goes to show you how prescient those early
      Anthroposophists really were. It's quite sobering, really.

      > Rock'n'Roll anyone? Hip-hop Gangsta rap? What would Marie and
      Rudolf
      > say about today's music?

      The underlying question, it seems to me, is are they sympatico with
      the Blues or not? Seems to me from what Marie divulges here that she,
      at least, was asking the question "Who put the Hot in Hottentot" or
      was it "What makes the Hottentot so Hot," I forgot. But hey, she was
      wondering long before Hollywood ever set her question to music. Which
      brings me to, of course, who do you envision playing Marie Steiner in
      the upcoming film?-Val

      . . . What is still worse is that the very speech and gesture has been
      affected by this mechanical, noisy music, which rattles from all the
      gramophones, from the wireless, from the pianolas, and which even in
      many of the best London theatres has taken the place of the orchestra.

      (Well if I had money
      Tell you what I'd do
      I'd go downtown)

      They carry on their ceaseless noise during the intervals, drumming
      their hard sounds into the head and deadening the consciousness of
      the ego. When, at the end of a performance the conventional phrase of
      `God save the King' is played and the audience rises to its feet,
      without the slightest pause the music falls into some wild jazz.
      Where is the need of breathing space or a moment's consideration?—the
      machine needs no such thing. But the lack of any transition between
      two contrasted moods has a stultifying effect upon the soul.

      (and buy a mercury or two)

      Young girls enter the stage, or drawing-room, even in Paris, with that
      rolling movement of hips and shoulders which negro dances have made
      second nature.

      (Crazy bout a mercury
      Lord I'm crazy bout a mercury)

      They themselves do not notice this eternal rolling movement of the
      limbs: the effect is almost that of a wound-up doll, or of hypnosis.
      In woods, on the sea-shore, everywhere one is horrified by the sound
      of the gramophone and the sight of partners indulging in this sliding,
      rolling motion.

      (I'm gonna buy me a mercury
      And cruise it up and down the road)

      Dancing, which seemed to be dying out when the decorative elegant
      French dances lost their charm, when even the waltz and the polka had
      failed to interest,

      (Well the girl I love
      I stole her from a friend)

      has come to life again in the crude and primitive
      form of imitated negro dances.

      (He got lucky, stole her back again)

      `We like the rhythm' several girls replied, when I inquired what was
      so fascinating about these dances.

      (She heard he had a mercury
      Lord she's crazy bout a mercury
      I'm gonna buy me a mercury
      And cruise it up and down the road)

      —But this rhythm is in reality no
      rhythm. It is anti-rhythmic, it is an earth force which whirls
      upwards, an overemphasized or furtive and indistinct beat, an
      increased blood pulsation coupled with lowered consciousness.

      (Well hey now mama
      You look so fine
      Ridin round in your mercury 49
      Crazy bout a mercury
      Lord I'm crazy bout a mercury
      I'm gonna buy me a mercury
      And cruise it up and down the road)

      One only needs to look at the figures of the dancers, with their
      vacant, expressionless faces, to be convinced that this is
      so

      (Well my baby went out
      She didn't stay long)

      ,—especially so with the men, who now, young and old alike, have
      suddenly developed a passion for dancing. These dances appeal to the
      lower instincts, and for this reason they have as adherents even the
      most blasé, and those whose souls have become lifeless and barren.

      (Bought herself a mercury, come a cruisin home)

      But that which was merely animal nature in the case of the negro has
      with us become mechanical.

      (She's crazy bout a mercury
      Yeah she's crazy bout a mercury)

      The demons of machinery here find means of access; they gain a hold on
      the human being through his movement, through his vitality. They do
      not only influence his brain, but enter into this externalizing of
      that which should remain as inner mood of the soul.

      (And cruise it up and down the road)

      The mechanical musical instruments exercise their powerful, soul-
      deadening forces,doing away with all atmosphere and feeling. And this
      non-rhythmic,mechanical element is even reflected in the manner of
      speech of modern actors on the stage. . . .

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2007
        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "isenhart7" <isenhart7@...>
        wrote:

        > The underlying question, it seems to me, is are they sympatico with
        > the Blues or not?

        Because, after all, who doesn't resonate with Rock and Roll and Hip
        Hop Gansta Rap?-Val

        Its ya boy lil flip We just had a tragedy april 16 monday 715 am So i
        thought it would be selfish no to speak on it So everybody who lost
        somebody at virginia tech on monday you can play this to help you get
        by (yeah) If you're lost you can look--and you will find me (you can
        find me) Time after time (time after time we go through stuff like
        this) If you fall I will catch you--I'll be waiting (we keeping yall
        in our prayers) Time after time (chyeah) If you're lost you can look--
        and you will find me (rest in peace to everybody) Time after time If
        you fall I will catch you--I'll be waiting (we burning candles) Time
        after time Imagine waking up for class And not knowing what about to
        happen to you This is coming from the heart Flip aint just rapping to
        ya See I did been in situations like this And it make you wonder
        where Jesus Christ is People die before they got a chance to graduate
        Is it me or did the police react rather late Too many shot too many
        guns too many war stories And I saw people just out of windows four
        stories Imagine how the parents felt when they got the news
        Especially when they couldnt even tell who was who So we pray for
        each one of yall who lost a child And that brave man who excaped the
        Holacaust I heard the news They said they had chains on the doors
        Then later on they interveiwing at the gun store Then later on they
        let the classmates talk about him But his screen play should have let
        you know he had a problem If you're lost you can look--and you will
        find me (rest in peace) Time after time (its ya boy flip gates) If
        you fall I will catch you--I'll be waiting (i got your back) Time
        after time (yeah) If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
        (we praying for all the families) Time after time (I got a white
        candle lit right now) If you fall I will catch you--I'll be waiting
        (yeah) Time after time (rest in peace) We fighting war over there but
        we got wars over here I aint gonna lie i got shot But your boy still
        here Now my vision clear And everybody aint your friend Would you
        want to know if you could see how your life would end And i dont know
        nobody at the school But im a human too And if you care about others
        Thats what humans do And even though my album out I can take the time
        to greive Cause if i had a tragedy I hope you would do the same for
        me So if you see me in the streets show your boy some love Im a
        millionaire but im a educated thug And to the people aint been to
        virginia yet When you come make sure you think about Virginia Tech We
        lost alot of good people on the bad day And i know how it feel cause
        my cousins past away So next time you feeling down about your
        situation Just take this Lil Flip record to your local station If
        you're lost you can look--and you will find me (we prayin for
        everybody) Time after time (time after time) If you fall I will catch
        you--I'll be waiting (yeahh) Time after time (Your boy lil Flip got
        your back) If you're lost you can look--and you will find me (they
        can hate on me all they want) Time after time (How many artists are
        gonna take the time out to do this?) If you fall I will catch you--
        I'll be waiting (I live in the studio) Time after time (Yeah) We
        dedicate this to everybody who lost somebody they love Bother,
        Sister, uncle, Nephew,husband, wife,son daughter, aunt, uncle,
        grandfather, grandmother, everybody on September 11th, everybody at
        Virginia Tech Everybody man Its your boy Flip gangster, your number
        one fly boy Aye This how I do it baby I live in the studio This worth
        nothing This is how I do it man Houston in the building man Holla at
        your boy Rest in peace to everybody who lost their life at Virginia
        Tech Im out If you're lost you can look--and you will find me Time
        after time If you fall I will catch you--I'll be waiting Time after
        time If you're lost you can look--and you will find me Time after
        time If you fall I will catch you--I'll be waiting Time after time
        Time after time