Fwd: Color My World

  • tmasthenes13
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2007
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "tmasthenes13"
      <TomBuoyed@...> wrote:

      How many of you oldies but goodies out there remember the original 48
      crayon box of Crayolas? I remember being especially intrigued by the
      crayon called "Flesh" because when I rubbed it on my skin, it didn't
      seem to leave a mark. It was truly the color of my Irish Caucasian
      skin --- akin to peaches'n'cream, according to my mother who was only
      half-Irish.

      Many of you are too young to remember this crayon by that name because
      in 1962, at the behest of the Civil Rights movement in the USA, the
      Crayola company changed the name of their Flesh crayon to Peach.

      Decades later, I was to study the color theories of Goethe and Rudolf
      Steiner. There I came across the designation "Peach Blossom"
      ("Pfirischebluete) which was the name given to the startling color
      that arises when violet light meets red, but which today we call Magenta.

      Peach Blossom as a flower is the state flower of Delaware and its
      color is definitely that of the prismatic meeting of red and violet.
      Yet within anthroposophy, peach-blossom is said to be the color of
      white Caucasian skin.

      How can this be? Is there a hint in the Crayola name change from
      Flesh to Peach? Yet the color of peach fruit is closest to the color
      of my skin. What gives here?

      I recall a discussion at Rudolf Steiner College with a painting
      teacher about this skin color discrepancy between the obviously
      brighter pink of the peach blossom flower and the much duller and
      drabber hue of my own skin as the color of peach fruit --- a fresh
      peach, not the canned sliced variety.

      The explanation given was that the peach blossom hue was the
      enhancement of the normal Flesh=Peach crayon skin color of Caucasian
      skin. That is, peach blossom expressed the rosy-cheeked, living,
      joyous spiritual enhancement of the more beige-like flesh color. It
      is, according to Steiner's color circle, the "living image of the
      soul." As such, peach blossom was the color of the etheric whereas
      "normal" flesh = peach fruit color was the color of physical skin.

      Also, the peach blossom color expresses the equilibrium of the strong
      will forces of red and the contemplative thinking forces of violet.
      I bring these colors up because of the passage Peter S. posted on the
      coming white vs. yellow war for the future of human evolution.

      Peter S. quoting Steiner wrote:
      In the sixth post-Atlantean Culture epoch the task will be to know the
      spirit as something hovering in the surroundings, to recognise the
      spirit more in the elemental world, because that epoch must prepare
      the knowledge of the spirit in the physical environment. That could
      not easily come about if ancient atavistic forces were not preserved
      which recognise the spirit in its purely elemental life. But these
      things do not enter the world without the most violent struggles.

      White humanity is still on the way to take the spirit more and more
      deeply into its own being.

      Yellow humanity is on the way to conserve that age in which the spirit
      is held away from the body, is sought purely outside the human
      physical organisation.

      This makes it inevitable that the transition from the fifth culture
      epoch to the sixth will will bring about a violent struggle of the
      white and yellow races in the most varied domains. What precedes these
      struggles will occupy world-history up to the decisive events of the
      great contests between the white world and the coloured world."
      =====================================

      White, Yellow, Flesh, Peach, Peach Blossom. The white world and the
      coloured world. What is it about skin color that is so contentious?

      Now I also remember a crayon called "Indian Red" whose name was
      changed to something like "Chestnut" or "Maple Syrup" because of
      Native American objections. There was no Chinese Yellow crayon. But
      when I drew anyone Chinese, I would color them in with the Maize crayon.

      Does yellow in Chinese skin bring more will forces than the more
      balanced Caucasians. Will that give the Chinese an advantage in the
      coming Ultimate Fighting Championship?

      But, I digress. Let's just focus on peach blossom at the moment.

      Here I quote one non-anthroposophical and then one anthroposophical
      source on the relation of peach blossom to skin color as expressed in
      Steiner's Color theory.

      http://www.colorsystem.com/projekte/engl/70ante.htm

      Peach blossom, on the other hand, is the "colour of human
      incarnation", the "colour of human skin". This colour explains the
      moment when the human soul withdraws from the face, and the face
      assumes a greenish hue. Accordingly, says Steiner, we can view peach
      blossom as the "image of the soul", and more exactly, as the living
      image of the soul. Steiner emphasises that death does not lurk behind
      peach blossom (as is the case with green), since when the colour of
      peach blossom disappears the soul will indeed withdraw, but not life
      itself.

      Then Edward Reaugh Smith

      http://www.bibleandanthroposophy.com/Smith/main/burning_bush/charts_tabs/i83.html

      Peach-blossom—one's human nature is revealed by the way the soul flows
      into one's physical form in the color of one's skin. Thus,
      peach-blossom represents the living image of the soul.

      Here is a Wikipedia entry on the color of peach
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peach_(color)

      Here a comprehensive and historical list of all the Crayola crayon colors.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Crayola_crayon_colors

      Tom

      --- End forwarded message ---