Allow me

  • thecoreself
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
      to introduce myself. I am a new member, living in Liverpool, England.
      Although I am aware of who Rudolf Steiner is, I have not read any of
      his works. I have family in Belgium who went to Steiner Schools, and I
      once stayed at a Rudolf Steiner Community in Wakefield, England which
      I truly enjoyed. Now is the right time for me to walk on the road
      known as anthroposophy. I look forward to my time here with the group,
      and I would like to ask for advice. What books should I begin with? My
      other reading includes Barry Long, Guirdjieff and Edgar Cayce. I look
      forward to your replies.

      Lenny
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2007
        --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "thecoreself" <thecoreself@...> w
        > to introduce myself. I am a new member, living in Liverpool, England.
        > What books should I begin with? My other reading includes Barry
        Long, Guirdjieff and Edgar Cayce. I look forward to your replies.

        Dear Lenny,
        Welcome! I admire the dedication of the serious students on this
        list. Am pretty new myself and like you, have a familiarity with
        Cayce. Found "The Imagination of Pentecost:Rudolf Steiner &
        Contemporary Spirituality" by Richard Leviton (available from Amazon
        used) very good. In 1998,"Venture Inward" (Cayce magazine) reviewed
        "Seeking Spirit Vision" by Dennis Kloeck.
        Cayce's readings revealed that in an earlier life he had supposedly
        been Luke's nephew and was told he actually wrote the Gospel from his
        uncle's journals. Steiner's "According to Luke" has had the most
        impact for me. NINA
      • Robert Mason
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2007
          Hello Lenny:

          The "advice" I would offer is pretty much standard:

          It is *generally* a good idea to start with the
          "basic books" rather than the lectures. Steiner
          did not originally intend (most of) his lectures
          for publication, and he finally agreed to their
          publication only reluctantly. Most of the lectures
          were given to audiences who were already familiar
          with the basic concepts of Anthroposopy, and now
          these lectures are usually pubished with Steiner's
          *caveat* about acquiring the basic concept first.
          This is one form of the *caveat*:

          "No person is qualified to form a judgment on the contents of this
          work, who has not acquired — through the School of Spiritual Science
          itself or in an equivalent manner recognized by the School of
          Spiritual Science — the requisite preliminary knowledge. Other
          opinions will be disregarded: the authors decline to take them as a
          basis for discussion."

          The "basic books" are usually considered to be these
          four:
          *Knowledge of Higher Worlds*
          *Theosophy*
          *Occult Science*
          *Philosophy of Freedom* (or *of Spiritual Activity*)

          {Some people inculde *Christianity as Mystical Fact*
          among the "basics"; but I wouldn't.)

          Of these four, I would *suggest* starting with
          any of the first three. *PoF* is a different
          kind of book, written in the context of 19th
          Century Teutonic academic philosophy, and
          containing nothing *overtly* esoteric. It
          needs much study, over years, sentence by
          sentence. Still, it can be hard to understand
          for most people. If you can get Otto Palmer's
          book *RS on His Book PoF*, that's a big help.

          You might want to begin reading the first part
          of the first chapter of *KoHW*, about the
          Path of Veneration. And then the last chapter
          of *Theosophy*. You might get the feeling:
          "Deep down, in the core of my being, I've always
          known this; this is deeply true." Then you'll
          be hooked.

          IMO opinion the older translations are better
          than the newer ones, as for Steiner's works in
          general. You can get the basics online, free,
          in the Books section of the RS Archive and eLib:
          <http://www.rsarchive.org/index.php>

          Good luck,

          Robert Mason
        • carol
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2007
            Re: "{Some people inculde *Christianity as Mystical Fact* among the
            "basics"; but I wouldn't.)

            Of these four, I would *suggest* starting with any of the first three.
            *PoF* is a different kind of book, written in the context of 19th
            Century Teutonic academic philosophy, and containing nothing *overtly*
            esoteric. It needs much study, over years, sentence by sentence. Still,
            it can be hard to understand for most people. If you can get Otto
            Palmer's book *RS on His Book PoF*, that's a big help." RM.

            Lenny, I didn't obey any rules in approaching Anthroposophy but naturaly
            did choose the 2 volumes listed by R M.

            I first read 'Christianity as Mystical Fact' because at the time, I was
            in great need of a rich interpretation of Christianity. Once I read it
            through and having quite satisfied 'my thirst', I then picked up 'The
            Philosophy of Spiritual Activity'. I did not study it for years however.
            I read it through about 3 times, then moved on, choosing basic and tough
            stuff in full confidence with a streak of courage. I found lectures on
            Theosophy but especially Occult Science somewhat tough, even though they
            are considered basic. I found them basic in that they convey fundamental
            occult facts, but to truly identifying with the content, took me quite
            a long time.

            I suspect that there must be two types of 'camps' who approach
            Anthroposophy. One which wishes to find the means to 'ignite' spiritual
            development, another seeking to calm and place order in a soul has
            already begun flowing with spiritual experience. I fell in the later
            group.

            A while ago on this list, an individual discussed the difficulties he
            was experiencing while reading the 'PoF' for the first time.(He was of
            the first 'camp'.) He had expected to be able to read the book as any
            other, for a certain amount of minutes, in the evenings before resting,
            He was surprised that the book wasn't flowing with his 'regiment'. I
            thought to myself the reason for this must be that, although 'PoF' is
            not recognised as posessing noticable (living) spiritual qualities, it
            most certainly does. And when I recollect the psycho/spiritual condition
            in which I found myself when I read the book (3 times over), it served
            to organise and reassure me in a very living and permanent way.

            C.

            --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Mason"
            <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

            > Hello Lenny:
            >
            > The "advice" I would offer is pretty much standard:
            >
            > It is *generally* a good idea to start with the
            > "basic books" rather than the lectures. Steiner
            > did not originally intend (most of) his lectures
            > for publication, and he finally agreed to their
            > publication only reluctantly. Most of the lectures
            > were given to audiences who were already familiar
            > with the basic concepts of Anthroposopy, and now
            > these lectures are usually pubished with Steiner's
            > *caveat* about acquiring the basic concept first.
            > This is one form of the *caveat*:
            >
            > "No person is qualified to form a judgment on the contents of this
            > work, who has not acquired — through the School of Spiritual
            Science
            > itself or in an equivalent manner recognized by the School of
            > Spiritual Science — the requisite preliminary knowledge. Other
            > opinions will be disregarded: the authors decline to take them as a
            > basis for discussion."
            >
            > The "basic books" are usually considered to be these
            > four:
            > *Knowledge of Higher Worlds*
            > *Theosophy*
            > *Occult Science*
            > *Philosophy of Freedom* (or *of Spiritual Activity*)
            >
            > {Some people inculde *Christianity as Mystical Fact*
            > among the "basics"; but I wouldn't.)
            >
            > Of these four, I would *suggest* starting with
            > any of the first three. *PoF* is a different
            > kind of book, written in the context of 19th
            > Century Teutonic academic philosophy, and
            > containing nothing *overtly* esoteric. It
            > needs much study, over years, sentence by
            > sentence. Still, it can be hard to understand
            > for most people. If you can get Otto Palmer's
            > book *RS on His Book PoF*, that's a big help.
            >
            > You might want to begin reading the first part
            > of the first chapter of *KoHW*, about the
            > Path of Veneration. And then the last chapter
            > of *Theosophy*. You might get the feeling:
            > "Deep down, in the core of my being, I've always
            > known this; this is deeply true." Then you'll
            > be hooked.
            >
            > IMO opinion the older translations are better
            > than the newer ones, as for Steiner's works in
            > general. You can get the basics online, free,
            > in the Books section of the RS Archive and eLib:
            > <http://www.rsarchive.org/index.php>
            >
            > Good luck,
            >
            > Robert Mason

          • Robert Mason
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
              Robert wrote:

              >>Most of the lectures
              were given to audiences who were already familiar
              with the basic concepts of Anthroposopy, and now
              these lectures are usually pubished with Steiner's
              *caveat* about acquiring the basic concept first.<<

              Robert writes now:

              Here is Steiner's more complete explanation of the
              *caveat*, from his unfinished autobiography:

              http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA028/TSoML/GA028_c35.html
              ***
              Two results had now come from my anthroposophic work: first my
              books published to the whole world, and secondly a great number
              of lectures which were at first to be considered as privately
              printed and to be sold only to members of the Theosophical
              (later the Anthroposophical) Society. These were really reports
              on the lectures more or less well made and which I, for lack of
              time, could not correct. It would have pleased me best if spoken
              words had remained spoken words. But the members wished the
              printed copies. So this came about. If I had then had time to
              correct the reports, the restriction “for members only” would
              not have been necessary. For more than a year now, this
              restriction has been allowed to lapse.

              At this point in my life story it is necessary to say, first of
              all, how the two things – my published books and this privately
              printed matter – combine into that which I elaborated as
              anthroposophy.

              Whoever wishes to trace my inner struggle and labour to set
              anthroposophy before the consciousness of the present age must
              do this on the basis of the writings published for general
              circulation. In these I explained myself in connection with all
              which is present in the striving of this age for knowledge. Here
              there was given what more and more took form for me in
              “spiritual perception,” what became the structure of
              anthroposophy – in a form incomplete, to be sure, from many
              points of view.

              Together with this purpose, however, of building up
              anthroposophy and thereby serving only that which results when
              one has information from the world of spirit to give to the
              modern culture world, there now appeared the other demand – to
              face fully whatever was manifested in the membership as the need
              of their souls or their longing for the spirit.

              Most of all was there a strong inclination to hear the Gospels
              and the biblical writings generally set forth in that which had
              appeared as the anthroposophic light. Persons wished to attend
              courses of lectures on these revelations given to mankind.

              While internal courses of lectures were held in the sense then
              required, something else arose in consequence. Only members
              attended these courses. These were acquainted with the
              elementary information coming from anthroposophy. It was
              possible to speak to them as to persons advanced in the realm of
              anthroposophy. The manner of these internal lectures was such as
              it would not have been in writings intended wholly for the
              public. In internal groups I dared to speak about things in a
              manner which I should have been obliged to shape quite
              differently for a public presentation if from the first these
              things had been designed for such an audience.

              Thus in the two things, the public and the private writings,
              there was really something derived from two different bases. All
              the public writings are the result of what struggled and
              laboured within me; in the privately printed matter the Society
              itself shares in the struggle and labour. I hear of the
              strivings in the soul-life of the membership, and through my
              vital living within what I thus hear the bearing of the course
              is determined. Nothing has ever been said which was not to the
              utmost degree an actual result of the developing anthroposophy.
              There can be no discussion of any concession whatever to
              preconceptions or to previous experiences of the members.
              Whoever reads this privately printed material can take it in the
              fullest sense as that which anthroposophy has to say. Therefore
              it was possible without hesitation – when accusations became too
              insistent in this direction – to depart from the plan of
              circulating this printed matter among the members alone. Only it
              will be necessary to remember there are errors in the lectures
              which I did not revise.

              The right to an opinion in regard to the content of such
              privately printed material can naturally be admitted only in the
              case of one who knows what is taken as the pre-requisite basis
              of this judgment. For most of those pamphlets such a
              pre-requisite will be at least the anthroposophic knowledge of
              man and of the cosmos, in so far as its nature is set forth in
              anthroposophy, and of that which is found in this information as
              “anthroposophic history” as it is taken from the spiritual
              world.

              ***

            • Stephen Hale
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
                wrote:

                > to introduce myself. I am a new member, living in Liverpool, England.
                > Although I am aware of who Rudolf Steiner is, I have not read any of
                > his works. I have family in Belgium who went to Steiner Schools, and
                > once stayed at a Rudolf Steiner Community in Wakefield, England which
                > I truly enjoyed. Now is the right time for me to walk on the road
                > known as anthroposophy. I look forward to my time here with the
                group,
                > and I would like to ask for advice. What books should I begin with?
                My
                > other reading includes Barry Long, Guirdjieff and Edgar Cayce. I look
                > forward to your replies.
                >
                > Lenny

                Lenny,

                The Rudolf Steiner Archive and E-Library has many books, articles, and
                lectures available for online reading and printing. Of all the many
                lectures that Rudolf Steiner gave, only three were revised by Steiner
                to correct errors in transcription, and to make them more amenable to
                the reader. These are available at the RS Archive, and are:

                Education of the Child in the Light of Anthroposophy, which gives an
                excellent introduction into the principles of spiritual science.
                http://wn.rsarchive.org/Articles/EduChild/EduChi_index.html

                The Spiritual Guidance of Man, three lectures that further elaborate
                these principles into aspects of childhood development, and spiritual
                history.
                http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA015/English/AP1976/GA015_index.html

                The Mission of the Individual Folk Souls, 11 lectures, quite esoteric,
                and the basis used for much of what swarms around RS by his opponents.
                http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/MissFolk1929/MF1929_index.html

                Welcome aboard,

                Steve Hale