Re: sentimental materialists out there

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2007

      Why in the field studies of Michael Intelligence you cannot be an historian is because of your lack of interest and  failure to make connections from current to past and from past to current given the spur and super-charged research of say, the Karma lectures and Haroun al Rashid in relation to Iraq and the reflection of Arabistic thought forces, NOMINALISM, Spin, that infects current cultural life.  Any attempts to follow the intimate threads of thinking are doomed to failure in the current i-Tard culture.

      Dr. Steiner consolidated striking clues which we of course rarely make use of.  If we had to follow the documents of the lost Aristotle and the Sciences that arose and the Arabistic force of thinking that arose in the NASA and materialistic, Sorathian emerging rhythm patterns we have followed, we would see how powerfully prescient and concise Steiner was.  Firstly if Aristotle was the undercurrent force of thought, we see very clearly such an indicator holding up the two pillars of learning, even the shepherds and Kings as pictured in the mighty painting of Raphael's School of Athens.  So suppose we felt we should follow the core individuality who did all this major science research and see how he emerged in the further course of time.  That is suppose we followed the Person of Interest, a Person of Interest - the prized treasure of the Islamic world was Aristotle's profound observational thinking.  It was both a training to read him and to ride on Aristotle's profound observational thinking powers.  Suppose we had the intelligence and interest to follow this person of Interest?

      One aspect of our research would find ourselves looking very closely at Haroun al Raschid and how the evolution of thought was influenced by both Francis Bacon and Charles Darwin. These two are deeply part of where the Michael School and the Karma lectures illuminate our inward historical eyes to grasp just how powerful the works of Aristotle influenced the thinkers of the school of Jundishapur and the advanced cultural center at Baghdad, which then launched the first 666 premature Consciousness Soul seeds that were embedded in all of Aristotle's works.

      These works were prized and harvested so that the advanced Sorathian surge of thinking that Steve has often described here, could become realized.  Because in the fruits of Aristotle's works, which were prized by the Islamic thinkers and were well ahead of the cultural spark, well ahead of uneducated Europe, contained the seeds of the advanced Consciousness Soul -  We turn our gaze towards Steiner and find that what emerges and comes to fruition in Rudolf Steiner is a real shocker.  A real result of the Spiritual World's Intellectual Soul intentions and developments.  In other words all the content of the intellectual sciences and observational skills of Aristotle, the disciplined observational skills, skills that Steiner understood and respected in Goethe -  observational skills that Goethe developed and Aristotle had developed that led to etheric perception -  Suddenly and without warning such an individual shines through history and emerges as Rudolf Steiner.  Alright, right here, and we know what we are talking about, right here, almost 70% of loosely hanging Anthros are prepared to get off the bus.  While 99.9% of the intellectual culture of western materialism, is lost and settles down into the sediment of the dead soil of safe thinking.

      Ah but who than and what then does Dr. Steiner bring to fruition?  Dr. Steiner brings the tools and Sciences of the true Consciousness Soul thinking that Goethe was onto and that arises in the human soul when mighty observational thinking and soul and spirit faculties penetrate and awaken the forces to enter the spiritual world.  Whereas the premature and Arabistic, NOMINALISTIC, Spin thinking that corrupts the moral fiber contains another Being who also loves the world of dead facts and also as observational science skills, removes the subtle spiritual forces of the soul from all observations.  And the difference not only between Goethe and Newton, but Steiner and Bacon, is the difference that alerts us to the core of the problem of what Spiritual Science actually is.  Of course any interest in grasping what Spiritual Science is, the Science that brings us all those feeling and wishy-washy soup feelings about the Christ Event, against the Science of the Christ event - blunts the dull and duller Anthros into lack of interest in the cognitive history of a real human being who developed such a capacity through history that as a figure could emerge and open the path to the true link between the Consciousness Soul and the etheric and spiritual worlds - via observational skills that ring through all of Steiner's works, like all the ten thousand observations that Aristotle made.

      What was recently brought here on Jundishapur, and outlined briefly should be richly thought through. In the Power of Nightmares we picked up the collected forces of the Weimar Neoplatonist, Leo Strauss, who did not witness or testify to Steiner's struggles in Weimar or Goethe's struggles in Weimar, but rather railed against the Good Liberal Germans of Weimar and this railing against the Liberal and this railing against the Liberal in the Media today, and the railing against air-headed and anti-war Liberals and intense manipulation and Spin used to destroy the fabric of liberalism, was the weapon of choice that restored the Arabistic core of the  philosophers exiled from the School of Athens and the closing of the Alexandria library and schools who migrated over to Jundishapur, and landed in Nazi Germany and currently landed in Amerika as Neocons our own neoplatonic Jundishapur, anti-liberal, Nominalistic, Neocons.

      Was Steiner prescient in pointing us in his last glowing illumating sparks, those Karma lectures, those intimate insights into history,  of where and how the Michael School arose and how the true Consciousness Soul was born forward in the soul and spirit capacities of Aristotle and in the soul and spirit capacities of Goethe and how these rose in a New Athens like event out of Weimar?  To that of the laying the foundation for confronting directly the Arabistic thinking forces, no longer in Islam or Iraq, but now fully polluting every university, and having swallowed Munich itself, and spoiled the potential of the School of Light, the Eyes, the St. John and Johannes Bau of Munich as an anti-dote even to the Jesuit schools that became the SS headquarters and the home of materialistic physics and fallen devachan light studies with no connection to any St. John Light and the Word?  Well Steiner and we know that medically, scientifically, and spiritually, Steiner emerged and brought to fruition the REAL consciousness soul and deep and ancient Initiate abilities that were linked always with great observational skills.

      While the Sorathians under the model of dead facts and dead thoughts, intend and have intended to follow the Ahrimanic and bring forth, the Orwellian model, only the Orwellian model that covers the entire living globe -  and to prepare in the same manner for the incarnation in the West of one of the strong opposing gods -  Ahriman on Earth, in balance of the Luciferic in 3000 b.c.   Christ in Mid-line of by 33 or 333 in counter balance to 666.  The dead world, the dead and stunted, denied fruition of humanity into the Consciousness Soul would be and is being magically woven in the slow frog boil of wonderful fascism, combined with narcissistic body bound, and electronically grounded, lower, lower devachan sweet technology.  A sweet technology that slowly has suffocated the educational clarity of how the advance of thought emerges into a Spiritual World as in Goethe and Rudolf Steiner. Nicely and sweetly suffocated in every university because in point of fact, we cannot and do not wish to think that such a person as Aristotle might have richly stored his great skills and carried them forward and if such a one appeared, we would refuse to recognize the bursting forth of the fruits of the intellectual soul into the vision, vista and etheric living light of the Consciousness Soul.  We, enmasse, refuse to imagine human beings moving visibly through history and coming to fruition.

      Prescient Karma lectures, prescient standing there in the midst of humanity opposing the onslaught of arabistic and materialistic thought -  And where today has this Ahrimanic force aimed itself?  Where the forces of Aristotle were once activiated and where they specifically landed in the Germanic Soul's  I AM cognitive gifts and the gifts that Germany was bringing towards the Consciousness Soul foundations -  were utterly mustered for a full attack and onslaught against such potential in the brains and hearts of humanity.  Is America next on the list?  Germany and Germans had a rich potential and Americans with their country also had a rich potential for thought...  But who is able to think and follow and hold clearly the remarkable rising and fruition of observational thinking that looked into Grammar with the rich research of Aristotle and Steiner as in the visible Grammar of Eurythmy and the mighty etheric forces that move through the limbs when grasping the Word?

      No, no, when we look over our resumes and we see how stumbling, bumbling and wretchedly attached we are to our university thinking and our university brainwashed view of the common ground we love as reality; when we look at all the WW II and WW I films and what WAR is and why we fought the WAR and how in fact, Ahriman out maneuvered humanity and shifted the paradigm of selfish, nationalistic and arabistic egotism into the West and gave birth to the Ahrimanic Sun at Trinity New Mexico... when we weigh up the trivial trails that students are forced to squander their spiritual forces on... we understand how educationally prescient Dr. Steiner was and how impossibly sluggish, dumb and materialistic we are.  For us humanity is not a rich striving organic and spiritual system that slowly brings higher and higher fruits of cogntion and development forward in history.  If we encountered such a history and if we encountered such a person who lived in Weimar -  We would gladly leap to take up the lumbering scholastic stupidity of such a one as Leo Strauss.  Leo Strauss a good german who survived Weimar and failed to see, a perfect person to understand in The Power of Nightmare, to where we stand today.  Who do we choose as our sterile and impotent examples of what we WANT TO BELIEVE, is what all dusty ole thinkers are -  those dusty old struggles and those dusty old individuals have nothing to do with the sudden bursting forth of human fruits and how intensely interested and treasured were the works of Aristotle in the Islamic world where the Intellectual Soul skills were super-charged by understanding Aristotle.

      Bradford brought previously;

      "One modern historian has remarked, "While al-Rashid and al-Ma'mun were delving into Greek and Pesian philosophy, their contemporaries in the West, Charlemagne and his lords, were reportedly dabbling in the art of writing their names."18 Aristotle's works on logic and particularly two of his works, Rhetoric and Poetics, became, along with the study of Arabic grammar, the basis of humanistic studies (Ar. adab) in Islam. As these works available in translation progressively took intellectual circles by storm, the Islamic world, like Patristic Christianity before it, had to grapple with "the problem of how to assimilate the `pagan' knowledge of the Greeks to a conception of the world that included God as its creator."19 The tension between the two led to a creative accommodation and synthesis as well as to a festering uneasiness and outright hostility in the medieval world, a range of responses that in some measure still influences modern discourses on the nature and parameters of education in Islamic societies. "

      Bradford concludes;

      So you thought as a newbie you might want to be a student of history? You thought as a newbie that you might want to be part of the Michael School where Aristotle and Thomas Aquina arise in the Pauline level of Intelligence of Rudolf Steiner?  I hardly think your job resume prepares you for the position of historican in the Michael School. You want to condemn Arabistic Intelligence now -  when all of the West is fully infected with Arabistic Intelligence....

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 6, 2007

        "Although the Munich Pact of 1938 permitted German occupation and annexation of the Sudetenland into the Nazi Reich, this act of cowardice by Great Britain and France ultimately paved the way for the outbreak of the Second World War one year later, with all the tragic consequences that conflagration entailed for the Jewish people, among others.

        "Today, the United States and Israel are striving to consummate a Middle East version of the Munich Pact that will sell out of the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination and a real independent state of their own. Only history will tell if the consequences shall be as tragic for the fate of the Arab and Jewish peoples in the Middle East , if not the rest of the world. I fear that there is a high probability that history will repeat itself.

        Bradford brought;

[...]

        1938 of the Munich Pact plus 72 = 2010;  1938 + 66= 2004 but no matter how we cut it, the years in and around 1935 and the Event of the Etheric Christ event and the event of the full 72 years of Steiner on Earth and the Michael Mission, as well as the fact that Ahriman leaped to attack the Consciousness Soul by celebrating the burning of the Reichstag on Feb 27, 1933, linked directly to the life course of Rudolf Steiner Himself, the bearer of all that was feared and hoped for in the capacities and awakening of the Consciousness Soul from such an individuality as that of Aristotle.

        "On February 22, Göring set up an auxiliary police force of 50,000 men, composed mostly of members of the SA and SS. The vulgar, brawling, murderous Nazi storm troopers now had the power of police.

        Two days later, they raided Communist headquarters in Berlin. Göring falsely claimed he had uncovered plans for a Communist uprising in the raid. But he actually uncovered the membership list of the Communist party and intended to arrest every one of the four thousand members.

        Göring and Goebbels, with Hitler's approval, then hatched a plan to cause panic by burning the Reichstag building and blaming the Communists. The Reichstag was the building in Berlin where the elected members of the republic met to conduct the daily business of government.

        By a weird coincidence, there was also in Berlin a deranged Communist conducting a one-man uprising. An arsonist named Marinus van der Lubbe, 24, from Holland, had been wandering around Berlin for a week attempting to burn government buildings to protest capitalism and start a revolt. On February 27, he decided to burn the Reichstag building. "

        Now class, do you think they thought to themselves consciously, oh goody, Steiner day?  But what plays into human instincts and what reflects the true enemy that was hated by the Ahrimanic Beings and Mephisto was the possibility of humanity breaking into the dawn of the Conscousness Soul.  Suddenly under the exile command of Michael after the dislodging of Ahrimanic soul clusters out of the higher worlds, they were exiled to human brains and human souls and Ahriman's current residence is not in the upper spiritual world but in the lower and operative wills, Will to Power, of the world of human intelligence. In other words the lower devachan techno world of magnetism, electricity and poisoned light.  And we recall that all of Harry Potter schooling is off the grid, Luciferic and a higher devachan schooling devoid of interaction with common humans in a common realm of human action.  Harry Potter has all the ear marks of a Luciferic world isolated and away from the karma functions and karmic functioning of our own real, lie ridden, and distorted,  Christ imbued world.

        U cannot be an historian and no university or educational system can understand history, nor when you send your children to learn such trivial nonsense without the root causes that connect the whole seething mass all the way through from 1933 to 2010.... For isn't there a counter impulse friends?  Isn't there also a counter impulse that runs on 33  - 66  - 99, isn't there a counter impulse, a mirrored distortion of the mighty Etheric Christ Sun impulse and Michael Intelligence also operative as a living impulse hell bent on refusing humanity the rights of the Consciousness Soul?  Doesn't this counter impulse also have a life of it's own as well?

        If such a person so richly respected from the ancient world as Aristotle sudden awoke in the mighty Initiate field of the Consciousness Soul with all the powers and fruits of the mighty Aristotle blended into the solid logic of the logos of Man, wouldn't this really tend to piss off the Ahrimanic counter forces that would weigh in on "The Monkey Trial" and press for all that we know about Darwin, Bacon and the anti-grail forces of the Manhattan Project and Oppenheimer offering their own Trinity in New Mexico?  Well that is why U cannot be an Anthro historian and frankly most applicants can't even think through the basics.  Most Anthros don't have a clue how to rate Anthroposophy or Spiritual Science but some little quaint impulse where they can do their knitting.  In fact cottom ball Anthros need not apply to Michael School Intelligence because they don't really want to know much of anything except how they feel, if they like this or that fact.  Oh poor, poor little feeling beings.... Too bad cognition hurts your subjective and warped feeling life and even worse that you end up resisting actual Spiritual Science in the process.

        We are currently rapidly coming up to more prepared deceptions that in fact embroil Amerika with the Lies generated out of Israel - All in the nature of Ahriman squatting over Israel that had bourne the footsteps of Christ and was, for all time,  the etheric, historical and physical epicenter of Golgotha and the Spirit Man event that rocked Earth evolution at it's dead center core.  All the powerfully and  richly stored etheric forces coming from that geo-physical or bio-regional location of so called Israel, Ahriman has lusted to regain, regain conquered portions of the human globe and human intellect in the process.  Ah but that is such a complicated thought for the poor, poor sheltered and coddled Anthro student to comprehend isn't it?

        Ahriman wants Iran and Persia where Zarathustra grew once upon a time and has already decimated the region where Gilgamesh and Enkidu wrestled at the walls of Uruk.  The Babylonian Star wisdom the encorporated the depth of the Angelic higher worlds and the ancient ruins of Marduk and Michael Intelligence, has been historically raped.  That is correct historically and currently raped by Ahrimanic forces.

        Why U can't be an historian is because U wouldn't understand the intinctual cold will that has placed the entire region under the wings of ugly political lies and greedy, avarice ridden war.  The fact that we promote Avarice and that the avarice so colors the will and instinct in Ahrimanic juice and that the Media and Jewish lobbyists have tied the Senate up and bound them to Ahriman and thereby bound America to Cheney and Bush and that none of these instincts are open to review, reveals that Ahriman is driving his intensity towards his Incarnation in the wealthiest and worst moral and intellectual morass since Germany.  Ahriman is using the techniques that are typical to Ahriman and using them as a Fascist/Orwellian model, because it must always smell of Fascism, until Ahriman himself or herself arises and we face eye to eye and camera to camera, press to press, i-tard to i-tard the very Being who shall offer all that spiritual striving has to offer only with no effort needed from i-tard stagnating soul.  Imagine our joy, friends, just like Anthros today, when Ahriman offers, Society Without Risk.  SWR.

        Education would then have no risk of hurting your feelings.  Science is only there to serve and cultivate your petty sentimental feelings.  All that huffing and puffing and that effort of thinking required to co-ordinate Michael thoughts to human thoughts, all that effort no longer important because everyone will be happy, Paradise and instant Big Friendly, Big Brother and big sister will overhear every phone call, have records on every human being on the planet and fingerprints, blood samples and instant psychological profiles along with vaccination records, reveal a film, not unlike V for Vendetta... or V for the FIFTH EPOCH.   Why U can't be an Anthro historian is because V for the Fifth Epoch or PNAC, Project for a New Ahrimanic Century or V for Vendetta just rolls on by your little coddled religious soul and means nothing to U.

        The two Jesus children -  Just think how many immediate dense and dull people have to stop their thinking if you raise the idea of the two Jesus children  into their dull and stupid ears. The two Jesus children did not choose the wealthiest, richest and most high or well born region to be born in.  Christ did not have a hundred thousand PR media consultants prepared to apply the full force of Nominalistic Spin, which Thomas Aquinas fought against with all his heart and soul to prepare the way for their own lord and master - Ahriman himself.  But do Anthros go into the rich considerations of how such rhythms, such 33  -  66  -  99 rhythm patterns might also be part of all that we see in the name of Deception? There is Michael Intelligence and then there is the active School of think tanks, theives from Jackson Hole Wyoming, the Mossad of Israel and MI5 from Britain....all Ahrimanic cultures and super secret intelligence clubs and the MSM, in cahoots with the coming of Ahriman and his preparation.  Shouldn't all of the rich details of these events be obvious to Anthro and Michael students?

        Christ had to fire up the intuitive clarity and intimate discernment of the spiritual forces he needed in human hearts, minds and wills to focus the full Sun Force into the shattering foundation of the core of Man.  Anyone or any country who helped secure the Christ or any wisdom that helped this event to arise, are enemies of Ahriman -  We heard GWB utter those idiotic and unholy challenging words that aiding terrorists or harboring terrorists or going to any country and hunting down whom ever Ahriman determines is a threat -  Yet, U can't be an historian because you can't understand the difference between War between two Spiritual Powers -  Michael Intelligence and Ahrimaniclly nested beings who are creating defensive instincts and defensive shells inside the human intellectual soul vehicle and the sentient soul vehicle and sealing the dead light of the confiscated soul forces into instincts and fight or flight defenses aligned with the profile of Hannibal Lecter himself.   You can't grasp these things therefore you cannot really be an historian in the Michael School now can U?  Or Can U?

        http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/2007/10/fri-5-oct-2007-francis.html

        From Dachau to Jerusalem to Nuremberg to Munich to Annapolis

        Fri, 5 Oct 2007

        Francis A. Boyle

        During the summer of 1982 I had the opportunity to visit the Nazi concentration camp just outside Dachau , Germany and then the little town itself. Given the proximity of the town to the camp, my immediate reaction was: "This town is so close to the camp that the citizens of Dachau must have known what was going on out there. Why did they not do anything about it?" I had the exact same reaction during the last two weeks of May 1986 as I traveled up and down the West Bank and Gaza Strip in order to investigate Israel 's atrocities and war crimes against the Palestinians.

        When I then complained about these reprehensible practices to the appropriate high-level legal officials sequentially at the Israeli Ministry of Defense, the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I was told that they were all required by and could be justified under the doctrine of "military necessity." Rather than engaging in an extended debate over this point, I simply responded to all three of these lawyers that this was precisely the argument used by the Nazi war criminals before the Nuremberg Tribunal in 1945 to justify their own incredible outrages upon humanity, including the Jewish people. After a bit more argumentation, these three lawyers basically conceded my Nuremberg analysis, but then each independently, uncannily, and matter-of-factly informed me: "We have public relations people in the United States who take care of these matters for us."

        Even more distressingly, upon a visit to the office of the Legal Adviser to the Foreign Ministry to discuss the prospects for peace, I was immediately informed by him that Israel had a "claim" under international law to the West Bank : it might not constitute the basis for perfect title, but it was nevertheless a "claim." At the time I recalled the fact that of course Hitler had a "claim" to the Sudetenland as well. Although the Munich Pact of 1938 permitted German occupation and annexation of the Sudetenland into the Nazi Reich, this act of cowardice by Great Britain and France ultimately paved the way for the outbreak of the Second World War one year later, with all the tragic consequences that conflagration entailed for the Jewish people, among others.

        Today, the United States and Israel are striving to consummate a Middle East version of the Munich Pact that will sell out of the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination and a real independent state of their own. Only history will tell if the consequences shall be as tragic for the fate of the Arab and Jewish peoples in the Middle East , if not the rest of the world. I fear that there is a high probability that history will repeat itself.

        Professor Francis A. Boyle served as Legal Advisor to the Palestinian Delegation to the Middle East Peace Negotiations and its Chair Dr Haidar Abdul Shaffi from 1991 to 1993. He is the author of Palestine, Palestinians and International Law (Clarity Press: 2003).

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007

          A B-52 bomber taking off
          A new report has linked the mysterious flight of a nuclear armed B-52 bomber to the US Vice President's secret plan to attack Iran.

          Earlier, news outlets revealed that, on August 30, a B-52 bomber loaded with six nuclear armed cruise missiles had flown for more than three hours over several states. The incident prompted an Air Force investigation and the firing of one commander.

          The report by Webster Tarpley published on Rense website on Saturday claimed that many analysts believed those weapons were destined to be used in a nuclear blitz on Iran, which may have been scheduled for September 6, the day that Israel launched its own aerial attack on Syria.

          The report adds " Even more heinous uses of these cruise missiles here inside the United States can also not be excluded, given the insistence of the Cheney Doctrine on a terrorist act in the US to be blamed on Iran as the immediate pretext for the Iran war ­ as Zbigniew Brzezinski told the Senate Foreign relations Committee on Feb. 1, 2007."

          Many sources (see Wayne Madsen Report, September 24) agree that the transfer of these nuclear weapons to Iran was blocked by US Air Force personnel, backed up by anti-Cheney factions in the intelligence community, who refused to obey an illegal order.

          It is also important to note that some half dozen personnel linked to the Minot and Barksdale air bases have reportedly died under mysterious circumstances since July.

          Elsewhere in his report, Terpley quotes his sources as saying that "It is unlikely that a sneak attack on Iran could get through the normal channels of the US national security interagency process. The realization of Cheney's war plan depends upon an outside manufactured event, along the lines of 9/11, which could be used to engineer the typical neocon end run around the standard operating procedures and launch the wider war. "

          Webster Griffin Tarpley is an author, lecturer, and critic of US foreign and domestic policy. He maintains that the events of 9/11 were engineered by the military and arms industries. He envisions a model of false flag terror operated by a rogue network of independent operatives in the privatized military intelligence sector and corporate media.
        • happypick2000
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
            Thank you, holderlin66 - I shall attempt to cut/paste my information
            regarding this, and should it fail, considering the extreme length, a
            following post shall be sent.

            Regards,

            Happy

            --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "holderlin66" <holderlin66@...>

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
              Subject:
              response to holderlin66's "Sentimenal Materialists out There
              From:happypick2000@...

              [use links to view graphics]

              http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=CHO20070927&articleId=6918
              US, NATO and Israel Deploy Nukes directed against Iran

              by Michel Chossudovsky
              Global Research, September 27, 2007

              Note: Readers are welcome to cross-post this article with a view
              to spreading the word and warning people of the dangers of a broader
              Middle East war. Please indicate the source and copyright note. In
              late August, reported by the Military Times, a US Air Force B-52
              bomber flew from Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota to Barksdale Air
              Force Base in Louisiana with six AGM advanced cruise missiles, each of
              which was armed with a W-80-1 nuclear warhead. "... Missiles were
              mounted on the pylons under its wings. Each of the warheads carried a
              yield of up to 150 kilotons, more than ten times as powerful as the US
              bomb that leveled Hiroshima at the close of the Second World War."
              (See Bill Van Auken, Global Research September 2007
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=6723> )

              The Military Times byline was "B-52 mistakenly flies with nukes
              aboard"
              <http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2007/09/marine_nuclear_B52_070904w/>
              . The issue was casually acknowledged by The Washington Post and the
              New York Times. The reports quoted a US Air force spokesman. The
              matter was offhandedly brushed aside. The incident represented "an
              isolated mistake" and that "at no time was there a threat to public
              safety." (Ibid) :
              "As far as is known, the incident marked the first time that a US
              plane has taken off armed with nuclear weapons in nearly 40 years. ...
              ... The transport of weapons from one base to another, however, is
              normally carried out in the holds of C-17 and C-130 cargo planes, not
              fixed to the wings of combat bombers.
              Someone had to give the order to mount the missiles on the plane.
              The question is whether it was a local Air Force commander—either by
              mistake or deliberately—or whether the order came from higher up.
              B-52s from Barksdale have been used repeatedly to strike targets
              in Iraq, firing cruise missiles at Iraqi targets in 1996 and 1998, and
              in the "shock and awe" campaign that preceded the 2003 invasion,
              carrying out some 150 bombing runs that devastated much of the
              southern half of the country.
              Moreover, the weapon that was fixed to the wings of the B-52
              flying from Minot air base was designed for use against hardened
              targets, such as underground bunkers.
              Given the ratcheting up of the threats against Iran and the
              previous reports of plans for the use of "tactical" nuclear weapons
              against Iranian nuclear installations, there is a very real
              possibility that the flight to Barksdale was part of covert
              preparations for a nuclear strike against Iran.
              If this is indeed the case, the claims about a "mistake" by a
              munitions officer and a few airmen in North Dakota may well be merely
              a cover story aimed at concealing the fact that the government in
              Washington is preparing a criminal act of world historic proportions
              by ordering—without provocation—the first use of nuclear weapons since
              the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki more than sixty years ago.
              (Bill van Auken, op. cit).
              In recent developments, Wayne Madsen (September 27)
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=6909> has
              suggested, based on US and foreign intelligence sources, that the B-52
              carrying the advanced cruise missiles with bunker buster nuclear
              warheads was in fact destined for the Middle East.
              Is the B-52 Barksdale incident in any way related to US plans to
              use nuclear weapons against Iran?
              Madsen suggests, in this regard, that the operation of shipping
              the nuclear warheads was aborted "due to internal opposition within
              the Air Force and U.S. Intelligence Community", which was opposed to a
              planned US attack on Iran using nuclear warheads.
              Without downplaying the significance of the Barksdale incident, if
              Washington were to decide to use nuclear weapons against Iran, they
              could be launched at short notice from a number of military bases in
              Western Europe and the Middle East, from Diego Garcia in the Indian
              Ocean, from a submarine or from a US Aircraft carrier. Turkey has some
              90 B61 nuclear weapons which are fully deployed. (See details below).
              It should be noted that, with regard to the Barksdale incident, the
              150 kt. W-80-1 nuclear warheads mounted on the B-52s are not the type
              of nuclear weapon contemplated by the US military for use in the
              Middle East conventional war theater. To grasp the seriousness of the
              "Barksdale incident", it is important to understand the broader
              context of nuclear weapons deployment respectively by the US, NATO and
              Israel.
              We are not dealing with a single aborted operation of deployment
              of nuclear weapons to the Middle East.
              There are indications that a large number of US made nuclear
              weapons are currently deployed in Western Europe and the Middle East
              including Israel.
              Coordinated Military Operation We are dealing with a coordinated
              military operation in which US Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) plays a
              central role. The main coalition partners are the US, NATO and Israel.
              There are four interrelated "building blocks" pertaining to the
              preemptive use of nuclear weapons in the Middle East war theater:
              1. CONPLAN 8022 formulated in 2004. CONPLAN integrates the use of
              conventional and nuclear weapons.
              2. National Security Presidential Directive (NSPD) 35, entitled
              Nuclear Weapons Deployment Authorization
              <http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/nspd/index.html> issued in May 2004
              3. The deployment of Israeli nuclear weapons directed against
              targets in the Middle East
              4. Deployment of Nuclear Weapons by NATO/EU countries, directed
              against targets in the Middle East
              1. CONPLAN 8022
              CONPLAN 8022 under the jurisdiction of USSTRATCOM sets the stage.
              It envisages the integration of conventional and nuclear weapons and
              the use of nukes on a preemptive basis in the conventional war
              theater. It is described as "a concept plan for the quick use of
              nuclear, conventional, or information warfare capabilities to
              destroy--preemptively, if necessary--"time-urgent targets" anywhere in
              the world." CONPLAN became operational in early 2004. "As a result,
              the Bush administration's preemption policy is now operational on
              long-range bombers, strategic submarines on deterrent patrol, and
              presumably intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs)." (Robert S.
              Norris and Hans M. Kristensen, Bulletin of Atomic Scientists
              <http://www.thebulletin.org/article_nn.php?art_ofn=jf06norris> )
              CONCEPT PLAN (CONPLAN) 8022 now consists of "an actual plan that
              the Navy and the Air Force translate into strike package for their
              submarines and bombers,' (Japanese Economic Newswire, 30 December
              2005, For further details see Michel Chossudovsky, Nuclear War against
              Iran, op. cit.).
              "CONPLAN 8022 is 'the overall umbrella plan for sort of the
              pre-planned strategic scenarios involving nuclear weapons.'"
              2. Nuclear Weapons Deployment Authorization: NSPD 35 (2004)
              National Security Presidential Directive (NSPD) 35, entitled
              Nuclear Weapons Deployment Authorization
              <http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/nspd/index.html> was issued in May
              2004.
              The contents of this highly sensitive document remains a carefully
              guarded State secret. There has been no mention of NSPD 35 by the
              media nor even in Congressional debates. While its contents remains
              classified, the presumption is that NSPD 35 pertains to the deployment
              of tactical nuclear weapons in the Middle East war theater in
              compliance with CONPLAN 8022.
              There are unconfirmed reports that B61-11 type tactical nuclear
              weapons have been deployed to the Middle East following NSPD 35.
              According to a report published in the Turkish press, the B-61s could
              be used against Iran, if Iran were to retaliate with conventional
              weapons to a US or Israeli attack (See Ibrahim Karagul, "The US is
              Deploying Nuclear Weapons in Iraq Against Iran", Yeni Safak,. 20
              December 2005, quoted in BBC Monitoring Europe). In this regard,
              NSPD-17 of December 2002 entitled National Strategy to Combat Weapons
              of Mass Destruction, quoted in the Washington Times (January 31, 2003)
              <http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/nspd/nspd-17.html> points to possible
              use of nuclear weapons in retaliation, if US or allied forces are
              attacked:

              0."The United States will continue to make clear that it reserves
              the right to respond with overwhelming force — including potentially
              nuclear weapons — to the use of [weapons of mass destruction] against
              the United States, our forces abroad, and friends and allies."
              (emphaisis added, this section quoted by the WT pertains to the
              classified version of NSPD)
              0.
              3. Israeli Nukes
              Israel is part of the military alliance and is slated to play a
              major role in case the planned attacks on Iran were to be carried
              out. (For details see Michel Chossudovsky, Nuclear War against Iran,
              Jan 2006
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=%20CH20060103&articleId=1714>
              ).
              Israel possesses 100-200 strategic nuclear warheads
              <http://www.cdi.org/issues/nukef&f/database/isnukes.html> . In
              2003, Washington and Tel Aviv confirmed that they were collaborating
              in "the deployment of US-supplied Harpoon cruise missiles armed with
              nuclear warheads in Israel's fleet of Dolphin-class submarines." (The
              Observer, 12 October 2003)
              <http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1061381,00.html>
              . Coinciding with the 2005 preparations to wage air strikes against
              Iran, Israel took delivery of two new German produced submarines
              "that could launch nuclear-armed cruise missiles for a "second-strike"
              deterrent." (Newsweek, 13 February 2006. See also CDI Data Base)
              <http://www.cdi.org/issues/nukef&f/database/nukearsenals.cfm>
              The Israeli military and political circles had been making
              statements on the possibility of nuclear and missile strikes on Iran
              openly since October, 2006, when the idea was immediately supported by
              G. Bush. Currently it is touted in the form of a "necessity" of
              nuclear strikes. The public is taught to believe that there is nothing
              monstrous about such a possibility and that, on the contrary, a
              nuclear strike is quite feasible. Allegedly, there is no other way to
              "stop" Iran. (General Leonid Ivashov, Iran Must Get Ready to Repel a
              Nuclear Attack, Global Research, January 2007
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=4581> )
              At the outset of Bush's second term, Vice President Dick Cheney
              dropped a bombshell. He hinted, in no uncertain terms, that Iran was
              "right at the top of the list" of the rogue enemies of America, and
              that Israel would, so to speak, "be doing the bombing for us", without
              US military involvement and without us putting pressure on them "to do
              it".
              "Rather than a direct American nuclear strike against Iran's hard
              targets, Israel has been given the assignment of launching a
              coordinated cluster of nuclear strikes aimed at targets that are the
              nuclear installations in the Iranian cities: Natanz, Isfahan and
              Arak.(Michael Carmichael, Global research, January 2007)
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=4477>
              Israel is a Rottweiler on a leash: The US wants to "set Israel
              loose" to attack Iran.
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/AVN502A.html> Commenting the
              Vice President's assertion, former National Security adviser Zbigniew
              Brzezinski in an interview on PBS, confirmed with some apprehension,
              yes: Cheney wants [former] Prime Ariel Sharon to act on America's
              behalf and "do it" for us:
              ..."And the vice president today in a kind of a strange parallel
              statement to this declaration of freedom hinted that the Israelis may
              do it and in fact used language which sounds like a justification or
              even an encouragement for the Israelis to do it."
              Beneath the rhetoric, what we are dealing with is a joint
              US-NATO-Israeli military operation directed against Iran and Syria,
              which has been in the active planning stage since 2004. US advisers in
              the Pentagon have been working assiduously with their Israeli military
              and intelligence counterparts, carefully identifying targets inside
              Iran ( Seymour Hersh,
              http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/HER501A.html
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/HER501A.html> )
              In recent developments, at the September 2007 meetings of the
              Vienna based IAEA, a critical resolution, implicitly aimed at Israel,
              was put forth which would put Israel's nuclear program "under
              international purview." The resolution was adopted with the US and
              Israel voting against it.
              4. NATO Nukes. Nuclear Weapons Deployment by Five Non-nuclear States
              Several Western European countries, officially considered as
              "non-nuclear states", possess tactical nuclear weapons, supplied to
              them by Washington.
              The US has supplied some 480 B61 thermonuclear bombs
              <http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/B61.html> to five
              non-nuclear NATO countries including Belgium, Germany, Italy, the
              Netherlands and Turkey, and one nuclear country, the United Kingdom.
              These weapons are ready for delivery to "known military targets".

              Source: http://www.nukestrat.com/us/afn/nato.htm
              <http://www.nukestrat.com/us/afn/nato.htm>
              See Details and Map of Nuclear Facilities located in 5 European
              Non-Nuclear States <http://www.nrdc.org/nuclear/euro/euro_pt1.pdf>

              As part of this European stockpiling, Turkey, which is a partner
              of the US-led coalition against Iran along with Israel, possesses some
              90 thermonuclear B61 bombs at the Incirlik nuclear air base. (National
              Resources Defense Council, Nuclear Weapons in Europe
              <http://www.nrdc.org/nuclear/euro/contents.asp> , February 2005).

              Consistent with US nuclear policy, the deployment of B61 nuclear
              weapons in Western Europe, which dates back to the Cold war era, is
              also intended for targets in the Middle East. Confirmed by "NATO
              strike plans", these thermonuclear B61 bunker buster bombs (stockpiled
              by the "non-nuclear States") could be launched "against targets in
              Russia or countries in the Middle East such as Syria and Iran" (
              quoted in National Resources Defense Council, Nuclear Weapons in
              Europe <http://www.nrdc.org/nuclear/euro/contents.asp> , February 2005)

              Confirmed by (partially) declassified documents (released under
              the U.S. Freedom of Information Act):
              "... The approximately 480 nuclear bombs [now 350] in Europe are
              intended for use in accordance with NATO nuclear strike plans, the
              report asserts, against targets in Russia or countries in the Middle
              East such as Iran and Syria.
              The report shows for the first time how many U.S. nuclear bombs
              are earmarked for delivery by non-nuclear NATO countries. In times of
              war, under certain circumstances, up to 180 of the 480 nuclear bombs
              would be handed over to Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and
              Turkey for delivery by their national air forces. No other nuclear
              power or military alliance has nuclear weapons earmarked for delivery
              by non-nuclear countries." (quoted in
              http://www.nukestrat.com/us/afn/nato.htm
              <http://www.nukestrat.com/us/afn/nato.htm> emphasis added)
              In the post-Cold War era, the procedures governing the use of
              these EU/NATO nuclear weapons were redefined. The U.S. military made
              arrangements in the mid-1990s for the use of these nukes outside the
              area of jurisdiction of European Command (EURCOM). For EURCOM, this
              would mean responsibility for delivery of nukes within CENTCOM's
              (Central Command) area of jurisdiction, meaning that nuclear attacks
              on Iran and Syria could be launched from military bases in these
              non-nuclear EU/NATO countries:
              The report also documents that the U.S. military in 1994 made
              arrangements for nuclear targeting and use of nuclear weapons in
              Europe outside European Command's (EUCOM) area of responsibility. For
              EUCOM, this means CENTCOM (Central Command) which incorporates Iran
              and Syria .. It is unclear whether [the] parliaments [of EU/NATO
              countries] are aware of arrangements to target and potentially strike
              Middle Eastern countries with nuclear weapons based in Europe.
              (http://www.nukestrat.com/us/afn/nato.htm
              <http://www.nukestrat.com/us/afn/nato.htm>

              It is worth noting, based on recent information published by the
              National Resources Defense Council (August 2007),
              <http://www.gsinstitute.org/pnnd/updates/PNNDupdate18.html> that the
              number of B61 nuclear bombs in Europe has been reduced from 480 to
              350, following the removal of 130 bombs from the Ramstein airbase in
              Germany.

              Source: http://www.nukestrat.com/us/afn/nato.htm
              <http://www.nukestrat.com/us/afn/nato.htm>

              Nuclear Weapons' Double Standards. Where is the Nuclear Threat?
              While these "non-nuclear states" casually accuse Tehran of developing
              nuclear weapons, without documentary evidence, they themselves have
              capabilities of delivering nuclear warheads, which are targeted at
              Iran and Syria. To say that this is a clear case of "double
              standards" in the process of identifying the threat of nuclear weapons
              is a gross understatement.
              France's President Nicolas Sarkozy Endorses Bush's Pre-emptive
              Nuclear War Doctrine
              France accuses Tehran of developing nuclear weapons against
              mountains of evidence that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program.
              The Sarkozy government favors a military operation directed
              against Iran. Ironically, these threats by President Sarkozy and his
              Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner were formulated immediately
              following the release of the IAEA Report. The latter confirms
              unequivocally the civilian nature of Iran's nuclear program.
              According to President Sarkozy in his September 26, 2007 address
              to the UN General Assembly:
              "There will be no peace in the world if the international
              community falters in the face of nuclear arms proliferation … Weakness
              and renunciation do not lead to peace. They lead to war,"
              France has also confirmed that it could use its own nuclear
              warheads estimated at between 200 and 300, on a preemptive basis. In
              January 2006, (former) President Jacques Chirac announced a major
              shift in France's nuclear weapons policy.
              Without mentioning Iran, Chirac intimated that France's nukes
              should be used in the form of "more focused attacks" against
              countries, which were "considering" the deployment of Weapons of Mass
              Destruction (WMD).
              He also hinted to the possibility that tactical nuclear weapons
              could be used in conventional war theaters, very much in line with
              both US and NATO nuclear doctrine (See Chirac shifts French doctrine
              for use of nuclear weapons
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=MAC20060212&articleId=1956>
              , Nucleonics Week January 26, 2006).
              Chirac's successor, Nicolas Sarkozy has embraced the US sponsored
              "War on Terrorism".
              France supports the preemptive use of nuclear weapons in the
              conventional war theater, broadly following the principles formulated
              in the Bush Administration's nuclear doctrine, which allows the use
              of nukes (against Iran or Syria) for purposes of "self-defense".

              A Note of Caution The existence of war plans, which are currently
              in an advanced state of readiness, does not imply that war will occur.
              But at the same time, these war plans and their consequences must be
              forcefully addressed. An all out war, which would engulf the entire
              Middle East Central Asian region, cannot be excluded. Moreover, a
              political consensus in favor of a war directed against Iran is
              building up in the US. This war agenda is now supported by several of
              America's European allies including Britain, France and Germany.
              Public opinion is not informed due to a media blackout. The war on
              Iran using nuclear weapons is not front page news. The legitimacy of
              the war criminals in high office remains intact. There is visibly no
              mass movement against this war as occured in the months leading up to
              the Iraq invasion. Moreover, concurrent with the development of the
              war agenda, the Western countries are developing their "Homeland
              Security" apparatus with a view to to curbing public protest against
              the war. In the months ahead, we can expect the media propaganda war
              against Iran to go into high gear with a view to galvanising public
              opinion in support of a military intervention. It is absolutely
              essential that people in America and around the World take a firm
              position against a war, which in a very real sense threatens the
              future of humanity. Note: Readers are welcome to cross-post this
              article with a view to spreading the word and warning people of the
              dangers of a broader Middle East war. Please indicate the source and
              copyright note.
              Michel Chossudovsky
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=20060520&articleId=2479>
              is the author of the international best America's "War on Terrorism"
              <http://www.globalresearch.ca/globaloutlook/truth911.html> Global
              Research, 2005. He is Professor of Economics at the University of
              Ottawa and Director of the Center for Research on Globalization.

              ***

              http://progressiveindependent.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=104&topic_id=76162&mesg_id=76167

              TOPOFF 4 Full-Scale Exercise October 15-24, 2007: Portland,
              Phoenix, and Guam

              The T4 FSE is based on National Planning Scenario 11 (NPS-11). The
              scenario begins as terrorists, who have been planning attacks in
              Oregon, Arizona, and the U.S. Territory of Guam, successfully bring
              radioactive material into the United States. The first of three
              coordinated attacks occurs in Guam, with the simulated detonation of a
              Radiological Dispersal Device (RDD), or "dirty bomb," causing
              casualties and wide-spread contamination in a populous area near a
              power plant. Similar attacks occur in the hours that follow in
              Portland and Phoenix. An RDD is not the same as a nuclear attack. It
              is a conventional explosive that, upon detonation, releases
              radioactive material into the surrounding area. Although it does not
              cause the type of catastrophic damage associated with a nuclear
              detonation, there are severe rescue, health, and long-term
              decontamination concerns associated with an RDD. Real weapons will not
              be used in the scenario, but the response will be mounted as if they
              had been.
              DHS - The TOPOFF 4 Full-Scale Exercise October 15-24, 2007

              A Rigorous Full-Scale Response to a Coordinated Attack
              Taking place October 15-24, 2007, the TOPOFF 4 Full-Scale Exercise
              (T4 FSE) will feature thousands of Federal, State, territorial, and
              local officials. These officials will engage in various activities as
              part of a robust, full-scale simulated response to a multi-faceted
              threat. The exercise will address policy and strategic issues that
              mobilize prevention and response systems, require participants to make
              difficult decisions, carry out essential functions, and challenge
              their ability to maintain a common operating picture during an
              incident of national significance. As in a real-world response,
              agencies and organizations will deploy staff into the field and will
              face realistic incident-specific challenges, including the allocation
              of limited response resources and exercise actions needed to
              effectively manage conditions as they emerge. Planning and preparation
              for the exercise will also help strengthen working relationships
              between departments and agencies that are critical to successful
              prevention and response in real emergencies.

              ***

              http://arkansas.indymedia.org/newswire/display/21399/index.php

              6 Air Force Pilots Die Mysteriously After Reporting Nuclear Incident

              Mystery surrounds deaths of Minot airmen
              Sat, 22 Sep 2007

              Six members of the US Air Force who were involved in the Minot AFB
              incident,
              have died mysteriously, an anti-Bush activist group says.

              The incident happened when a B-52 bomber was "mistakenly" loaded
              with six
              nuclear warheads and flown for more than three hours across
              several states,
              prompting an Air Force investigation and the firing of one commander.

              The plane was carrying Advanced Cruise Missiles from Minot Air
              Force Base,
              N.D, to Barksdale Air Force Base on August 30.

              The Air Combat Command has ordered a command-wide stand down on
              September 14
              to review procedures, officials said.

              The missiles, which are being decommissioned, were mounted onto
              pylons on
              the bomber's wings and it is unclear why the warheads had not been
              removed
              beforehand.

              In addition to the munitions squadron commander who was relieved
              of his
              duties, crews involved in the incident, including ground crew
              workers had
              been temporarily decertified for handling munitions.

              The activist group Citizens for Legitimate Government said the six
              members
              of the US Air Force who were directly involved as loaders or as
              pilots, were
              killed within 7 days in 'accidents'.

              The victims include Airman First Class Todd Blue, 20, who died
              while on
              leave in Virginia. A statement by the military confirmed his death
              but did
              not say how he died.

              In another accident, a married couple from Barksdale Air Force
              Base were
              killed in the 5100 block of Shreveport-Blanchard Highway. The two were
              riding a 2007 Harley-Davidson motorcycle, with the husband driving
              and the
              wife the passenger, police said.

              "They were traveling behind a northbound Pontiac Aztec driven by Erica
              Jerry, 35, of Shreveport," the county sheriff said. "Jerry
              initiated a left
              turn into a business parking lot at the same time the man driving the
              motorcycle attempted to pass her van on the left in a no passing
              zone. They
              collided."

              Adam Barrs, a 20-year-old airman from Minot Air Force Base was
              killed in a
              crash on the outskirts of the city.

              First Lt. Weston Kissel, 28, a Minot Air Force Base bomber pilot,
              was killed
              in a motorcycle crash in Tennessee, the military officials say.

              Police found the body of a missing Air Force captain John Frueh
              near Badger
              Peak in northeast Skamania County, Washington.

              The Activist group says the mysterious deaths of the air force
              members could
              indicate to a conspiracy to cover up the truth about the Minot Air
              Base
              incident.

              ***

              http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/08/071008fa_fact_hersh?printable=true
              SHIFTING TARGETS
              The Administration's plan for Iran.
              by Seymour M. Hersh
              OCTOBER 8, 2007

              In a series of public statements in recent months, President Bush
              and members of his Administration have redefined the war in Iraq, to
              an increasing degree, as a strategic battle between the United States
              and Iran. "Shia extremists, backed by Iran, are training Iraqis to
              carry out attacks on our forces and the Iraqi people," Bush told the
              national convention of the American Legion in August. "The attacks on
              our bases and our troops by Iranian-supplied munitions have increased.
              . . . The Iranian regime must halt these actions. And, until it does,
              I will take actions necessary to protect our troops." He then
              concluded, to applause, "I have authorized our military commanders in
              Iraq to confront Tehran's murderous activities."
              The President's position, and its corollary—that, if many of
              America's problems in Iraq are the responsibility of Tehran, then the
              solution to them is to confront the Iranians—have taken firm hold in
              the Administration. This summer, the White House, pushed by the office
              of Vice-President Dick Cheney, requested that the Joint Chiefs of
              Staff redraw long-standing plans for a possible attack on Iran,
              according to former officials and government consultants. The focus of
              the plans had been a broad bombing attack, with targets including
              Iran's known and suspected nuclear facilities and other military and
              infrastructure sites. Now the emphasis is on "surgical" strikes on
              Revolutionary Guard Corps facilities in Tehran and elsewhere, which,
              the Administration claims, have been the source of attacks on
              Americans in Iraq. What had been presented primarily as a
              counter-proliferation mission has been reconceived as counterterrorism.
              The shift in targeting reflects three developments. First, the
              President and his senior advisers have concluded that their campaign
              to convince the American public that Iran poses an imminent nuclear
              threat has failed (unlike a similar campaign before the Iraq war), and
              that as a result there is not enough popular support for a major
              bombing campaign. The second development is that the White House has
              come to terms, in private, with the general consensus of the American
              intelligence community that Iran is at least five years away from
              obtaining a bomb. And, finally, there has been a growing recognition
              in Washington and throughout the Middle East that Iran is emerging as
              the geopolitical winner of the war in Iraq.
              During a secure videoconference that took place early this summer,
              the President told Ryan Crocker, the U.S. Ambassador to Iraq, that he
              was thinking of hitting Iranian targets across the border and that the
              British "were on board." At that point, Secretary of State Condoleezza
              Rice interjected that there was a need to proceed carefully, because
              of the ongoing diplomatic track. Bush ended by instructing Crocker to
              tell Iran to stop interfering in Iraq or it would face American
              retribution.
              At a White House meeting with Cheney this summer, according to a
              former senior intelligence official, it was agreed that, if limited
              strikes on Iran were carried out, the Administration could fend off
              criticism by arguing that they were a defensive action to save
              soldiers in Iraq. If Democrats objected, the Administration could say,
              "Bill Clinton did the same thing; he conducted limited strikes in
              Afghanistan, the Sudan, and in Baghdad to protect American lives." The
              former intelligence official added, "There is a desperate effort by
              Cheney et al. to bring military action to Iran as soon as possible.
              Meanwhile, the politicians are saying, `You can't do it, because every
              Republican is going to be defeated, and we're only one fact from going
              over the cliff in Iraq.' But Cheney doesn't give a rat's ass about the
              Republican worries, and neither does the President."
              Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said, "The President has made
              it clear that the United States government remains committed to a
              diplomatic solution with respect to Iran. The State Department is
              working diligently along with the international community to address
              our broad range of concerns." (The White House declined to comment.)
              I was repeatedly cautioned, in interviews, that the President has
              yet to issue the "execute order" that would be required for a military
              operation inside Iran, and such an order may never be issued. But
              there has been a significant increase in the tempo of attack planning.
              In mid-August, senior officials told reporters that the Administration
              intended to declare Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps a foreign
              terrorist organization. And two former senior officials of the C.I.A.
              told me that, by late summer, the agency had increased the size and
              the authority of the Iranian Operations Group. (A spokesman for the
              agency said, "The C.I.A. does not, as a rule, publicly discuss the
              relative size of its operational components.")
              "They're moving everybody to the Iran desk," one recently retired
              C.I.A. official said. "They're dragging in a lot of analysts and
              ramping up everything. It's just like the fall of 2002"—the months
              before the invasion of Iraq, when the Iraqi Operations Group became
              the most important in the agency. He added, "The guys now running the
              Iranian program have limited direct experience with Iran. In the event
              of an attack, how will the Iranians react? They will react, and the
              Administration has not thought it all the way through."
              That theme was echoed by Zbigniew Brzezinski, the former
              national-security adviser, who said that he had heard discussions of
              the White House's more limited bombing plans for Iran. Brzezinski said
              that Iran would likely react to an American attack "by intensifying
              the conflict in Iraq and also in Afghanistan, their neighbors, and
              that could draw in Pakistan. We will be stuck in a regional war for
              twenty years."
              In a speech at the United Nations last week, Iran's President,
              Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, was defiant. He referred to America as an
              "aggressor" state, and said, "How can the incompetents who cannot even
              manage and control themselves rule humanity and arrange its affairs?
              Unfortunately, they have put themselves in the position of God." (The
              day before, at Columbia, he suggested that the facts of the Holocaust
              still needed to be determined.)
              "A lot depends on how stupid the Iranians will be," Brzezinski
              told me. "Will they cool off Ahmadinejad and tone down their
              language?" The Bush Administration, by charging that Iran was
              interfering in Iraq, was aiming "to paint it as `We're responding to
              what is an intolerable situation,' " Brzezinski said. "This time,
              unlike the attack in Iraq, we're going to play the victim. The name of
              our game seems to be to get the Iranians to overplay their hand."
              General David Petraeus, the commander of the multinational forces
              in Iraq, in his report to Congress in September, buttressed the
              Administration's case against Iran. "None of us, earlier this year,
              appreciated the extent of Iranian involvement in Iraq, something about
              which we and Iraq's leaders all now have greater concern," he said.
              Iran, Petraeus said, was fighting "a proxy war against the Iraqi state
              and coalition forces in Iraq."
              Iran has had a presence in Iraq for decades; the extent and the
              purpose of its current activities there are in dispute, however.
              During Saddam Hussein's rule, when the Sunni-dominated Baath Party
              brutally oppressed the majority Shiites, Iran supported them. Many in
              the present Iraqi Shiite leadership, including prominent members of
              the government of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, spent years in exile
              in Iran; last week, at the Council on Foreign Relations, Maliki said,
              according to the Washington Post, that Iraq's relations with the
              Iranians had "improved to the point that they are not interfering in
              our internal affairs." Iran is so entrenched in Iraqi Shiite circles
              that any "proxy war" could be as much through the Iraqi state as
              against it. The crux of the Bush Administration's strategic dilemma is
              that its decision to back a Shiite-led government after the fall of
              Saddam has empowered Iran, and made it impossible to exclude Iran from
              the Iraqi political scene.
              Vali Nasr, a professor of international politics at Tufts
              University, who is an expert on Iran and Shiism, told me, "Between
              2003 and 2006, the Iranians thought they were closest to the United
              States on the issue of Iraq." The Iraqi Shia religious leadership
              encouraged Shiites to avoid confrontation with American soldiers and
              to participate in elections—believing that a one-man, one-vote
              election process could only result in a Shia-dominated government.
              Initially, the insurgency was mainly Sunni, especially Al Qaeda in
              Mesopotamia. Nasr told me that Iran's policy since 2003 has been to
              provide funding, arms, and aid to several Shiite factions—including
              some in Maliki's coalition. The problem, Nasr said, is that "once you
              put the arms on the ground you cannot control how they're used later."
              In the Shiite view, the White House "only looks at Iran's ties to
              Iraq in terms of security," Nasr said. "Last year, over one million
              Iranians travelled to Iraq on pilgrimages, and there is more than a
              billion dollars a year in trading between the two countries. But the
              Americans act as if every Iranian inside Iraq were there to import
              weapons."
              Many of those who support the President's policy argue that Iran
              poses an imminent threat. In a recent essay in Commentary, Norman
              Podhoretz depicted President Ahmadinejad as a revolutionary, "like
              Hitler . . . whose objective is to overturn the going international
              system and to replace it . . . with a new order dominated by Iran. . .
              . [T]he plain and brutal truth is that if Iran is to be prevented from
              developing a nuclear arsenal, there is no alternative to the actual
              use of military force." Podhoretz concluded, "I pray with all my
              heart" that President Bush "will find it possible to take the only
              action that can stop Iran from following through on its evil
              intentions both toward us and toward Israel." Podhoretz recently told
              politico.com that he had met with the President for about forty-five
              minutes to urge him to take military action against Iran, and believed
              that "Bush is going to hit" Iran before leaving office. (Podhoretz,
              one of the founders of neoconservatism, is a strong backer of Rudolph
              Giuliani's Presidential campaign, and his son-in-law, Elliott Abrams,
              is a senior adviser to President Bush on national security.)
              In early August, Army Lieutenant General Raymond Odierno, the
              second-ranking U.S. commander in Iraq, told the Times about an
              increase in attacks involving explosively formed penetrators, a type
              of lethal bomb that discharges a semi-molten copper slug that can rip
              through the armor of Humvees. The Times reported that U.S.
              intelligence and technical analyses indicated that Shiite militias had
              obtained the bombs from Iran. Odierno said that Iranians had been
              "surging support" over the past three or four months.
              Questions remain, however, about the provenance of weapons in
              Iraq, especially given the rampant black market in arms. David Kay, a
              former C.I.A. adviser and the chief weapons inspector in Iraq for the
              United Nations, told me that his inspection team was astonished, in
              the aftermath of both Iraq wars, by "the huge amounts of arms" it
              found circulating among civilians and military personnel throughout
              the country. He recalled seeing stockpiles of explosively formed
              penetrators, as well as charges that had been recovered from
              unexploded American cluster bombs. Arms had also been supplied years
              ago by the Iranians to their Shiite allies in southern Iraq who had
              been persecuted by the Baath Party.
              "I thought Petraeus went way beyond what Iran is doing inside Iraq
              today," Kay said. "When the White House started its anti-Iran
              campaign, six months ago, I thought it was all craziness. Now it does
              look like there is some selective smuggling by Iran, but much of it
              has been in response to American pressure and American threats—more a
              `shot across the bow' sort of thing, to let Washington know that it
              was not going to get away with its threats so freely. Iran is not
              giving the Iraqis the good stuff—the anti-aircraft missiles that can
              shoot down American planes and its advanced anti-tank weapons."
              Another element of the Administration's case against Iran is the
              presence of Iranian agents in Iraq. General Petraeus, testifying
              before Congress, said that a commando faction of the Revolutionary
              Guards was seeking to turn its allies inside Iraq into a
              "Hezbollah-like force to serve its interests." In August, Army Major
              General Rick Lynch, the commander of the 3rd Infantry Division, told
              reporters in Baghdad that his troops were tracking some fifty Iranian
              men sent by the Revolutionary Guards who were training Shiite
              insurgents south of Baghdad. "We know they're here and we target them
              as well," he said.
              Patrick Clawson, an expert on Iran at the Washington Institute for
              Near East Policy, told me that "there are a lot of Iranians at any
              time inside Iraq, including those doing intelligence work and those
              doing humanitarian missions. It would be prudent for the
              Administration to produce more evidence of direct military training—or
              produce fighters captured in Iraq who had been trained in Iran." He
              added, "It will be important for the Iraqi government to be able to
              state that they were unaware of this activity"; otherwise, given the
              intense relationship between the Iraqi Shiite leadership and Tehran,
              the Iranians could say that "they had been asked by the Iraqi
              government to train these people." (In late August, American troops
              raided a Baghdad hotel and arrested a group of Iranians. They were a
              delegation from Iran's energy ministry, and had been invited to Iraq
              by the Maliki government; they were later released.)
              "If you want to attack, you have to prepare the groundwork, and
              you have to be prepared to show the evidence," Clawson said. Adding to
              the complexity, he said, is a question that seems almost
              counterintuitive: "What is the attitude of Iraq going to be if we hit
              Iran? Such an attack could put a strain on the Iraqi government."
              A senior European diplomat, who works closely with American
              intelligence, told me that there is evidence that Iran has been making
              extensive preparation for an American bombing attack. "We know that
              the Iranians are strengthening their air-defense capabilities," he
              said, "and we believe they will react asymmetrically—hitting targets
              in Europe and in Latin America." There is also specific intelligence
              suggesting that Iran will be aided in these attacks by Hezbollah.
              "Hezbollah is capable, and they can do it," the diplomat said.
              In interviews with current and former officials, there were
              repeated complaints about the paucity of reliable information. A
              former high-level C.I.A. official said that the intelligence about who
              is doing what inside Iran "is so thin that nobody even wants his name
              on it. This is the problem."
              The difficulty of determining who is responsible for the chaos in
              Iraq can be seen in Basra, in the Shiite south, where British forces
              had earlier presided over a relatively secure area. Over the course of
              this year, however, the region became increasingly ungovernable, and
              by fall the British had retreated to fixed bases. A European official
              who has access to current intelligence told me that "there is a firm
              belief inside the American and U.K. intelligence community that Iran
              is supporting many of the groups in southern Iraq that are responsible
              for the deaths of British and American soldiers. Weapons and money are
              getting in from Iran. They have been able to penetrate many
              groups"—primarily the Mahdi Army and other Shiite militias.
              A June, 2007, report by the International Crisis Group found,
              however, that Basra's renewed instability was mainly the result of
              "the systematic abuse of official institutions, political
              assassinations, tribal vendettas, neighborhood vigilantism and
              enforcement of social mores, together with the rise of criminal
              mafias." The report added that leading Iraqi politicians and officials
              "routinely invoke the threat of outside interference"—from bordering
              Iran—"to justify their behavior or evade responsibility for their
              failures."
              Earlier this year, before the surge in U.S. troops, the American
              command in Baghdad changed what had been a confrontational policy in
              western Iraq, the Sunni heartland (and the base of the Baathist
              regime), and began working with the Sunni tribes, including some tied
              to the insurgency. Tribal leaders are now getting combat support as
              well as money, intelligence, and arms, ostensibly to fight Al Qaeda in
              Mesopotamia. Empowering Sunni forces may undermine efforts toward
              national reconciliation, however. Already, tens of thousands of
              Shiites have fled Anbar Province, many to Shiite neighborhoods in
              Baghdad, while Sunnis have been forced from their homes in Shiite
              communities. Vali Nasr, of Tufts, called the internal displacement of
              communities in Iraq a form of "ethnic cleansing."
              "The American policy of supporting the Sunnis in western Iraq is
              making the Shia leadership very nervous," Nasr said. "The White House
              makes it seem as if the Shia were afraid only of Al Qaeda—but they are
              afraid of the Sunni tribesmen we are arming. The Shia attitude is `So
              what if you're getting rid of Al Qaeda?' The problem of Sunni
              resistance is still there. The Americans believe they can distinguish
              between good and bad insurgents, but the Shia don't share that
              distinction. For the Shia, they are all one adversary."
              Nasr went on, "The United States is trying to fight on all
              sides—Sunni and Shia—and be friends with all sides." In the Shiite
              view, "It's clear that the United States cannot bring security to
              Iraq, because it is not doing everything necessary to bring stability.
              If they did, they would talk to anybody to achieve it—even Iran and
              Syria," Nasr said. (Such engagement was a major recommendation of the
              Iraq Study Group.) "America cannot bring stability in Iraq by fighting
              Iran in Iraq."
              The revised bombing plan for a possible attack, with its tightened
              focus on counterterrorism, is gathering support among generals and
              admirals in the Pentagon. The strategy calls for the use of
              sea-launched cruise missiles and more precisely targeted ground
              attacks and bombing strikes, including plans to destroy the most
              important Revolutionary Guard training camps, supply depots, and
              command and control facilities.
              "Cheney's option is now for a fast in and out—for surgical
              strikes," the former senior American intelligence official told me.
              The Joint Chiefs have turned to the Navy, he said, which had been
              chafing over its role in the Air Force-dominated air war in Iraq. "The
              Navy's planes, ships, and cruise missiles are in place in the Gulf and
              operating daily. They've got everything they need—even AWACS are in
              place and the targets in Iran have been programmed. The Navy is flying
              FA-18 missions every day in the Gulf." There are also plans to hit
              Iran's anti-aircraft surface-to-air missile sites. "We've got to get a
              path in and a path out," the former official said.
              A Pentagon consultant on counterterrorism told me that, if the
              bombing campaign took place, it would be accompanied by a series of
              what he called "short, sharp incursions" by American Special Forces
              units into suspected Iranian training sites. He said, "Cheney is
              devoted to this, no question."
              A limited bombing attack of this sort "only makes sense if the
              intelligence is good," the consultant said. If the targets are not
              clearly defined, the bombing "will start as limited, but then there
              will be an `escalation special.' Planners will say that we have to
              deal with Hezbollah here and Syria there. The goal will be to hit the
              cue ball one time and have all the balls go in the pocket. But add-ons
              are always there in strike planning."
              The surgical-strike plan has been shared with some of America's
              allies, who have had mixed reactions to it. Israel's military and
              political leaders were alarmed, believing, the consultant said, that
              it didn't sufficiently target Iran's nuclear facilities. The White
              House has been reassuring the Israeli government, the former senior
              official told me, that the more limited target list would still serve
              the goal of counter-proliferation by decapitating the leadership of
              the Revolutionary Guards, who are believed to have direct control over
              the nuclear-research program. "Our theory is that if we do the attacks
              as planned it will accomplish two things," the former senior official
              said.
              An Israeli official said, "Our main focus has been the Iranian
              nuclear facilities, not because other things aren't important. We've
              worked on missile technology and terrorism, but we see the Iranian
              nuclear issue as one that cuts across everything." Iran, he added,
              does not need to develop an actual warhead to be a threat. "Our
              problems begin when they learn and master the nuclear fuel cycle and
              when they have the nuclear materials," he said. There was, for
              example, the possibility of a "dirty bomb," or of Iran's passing
              materials to terrorist groups. "There is still time for diplomacy to
              have an impact, but not a lot," the Israeli official said. "We believe
              the technological timetable is moving faster than the diplomatic
              timetable. And if diplomacy doesn't work, as they say, all options are
              on the table."
              The bombing plan has had its most positive reception from the
              newly elected government of Britain's Prime Minister, Gordon Brown. A
              senior European official told me, "The British perception is that the
              Iranians are not making the progress they want to see in their
              nuclear-enrichment processing. All the intelligence community agree
              that Iran is providing critical assistance, training, and technology
              to a surprising number of terrorist groups in Iraq and Afghanistan,
              and, through Hezbollah, in Lebanon, and Israel/Palestine, too."
              There were four possible responses to this Iranian activity, the
              European official said: to do nothing ("There would be no retaliation
              to the Iranians for their attacks; this would be sending the wrong
              signal"); to publicize the Iranian actions ("There is one great
              difficulty with this option—the widespread lack of faith in American
              intelligence assessments"); to attack the Iranians operating inside
              Iraq ("We've been taking action since last December, and it does have
              an effect"); or, finally, to attack inside Iran.
              The European official continued, "A major air strike against Iran
              could well lead to a rallying around the flag there, but a very
              careful targeting of terrorist training camps might not." His view, he
              said, was that "once the Iranians get a bloody nose they rethink
              things." For example, Ali Akbar Rafsanjani and Ali Larijani, two of
              Iran's most influential political figures, "might go to the Supreme
              Leader and say, `The hard-line policies have got us into this mess. We
              must change our approach for the sake of the regime.' "
              A retired American four-star general with close ties to the
              British military told me that there was another reason for Britain's
              interest—shame over the failure of the Royal Navy to protect the
              sailors and Royal Marines who were seized by Iran on March 23rd, in
              the Persian Gulf. "The professional guys are saying that British honor
              is at stake, and if there's another event like that in the water off
              Iran the British will hit back," he said.
              The revised bombing plan "could work—if it's in response to an
              Iranian attack," the retired four-star general said. "The British may
              want to do it to get even, but the more reasonable people are saying,
              `Let's do it if the Iranians stage a cross-border attack inside Iraq.'
              It's got to be ten dead American soldiers and four burned trucks."
              There is, he added, "a widespread belief in London that Tony Blair's
              government was sold a bill of goods by the White House in the buildup
              to the war against Iraq. So if somebody comes into Gordon Brown's
              office and says, `We have this intelligence from America,' Brown will
              ask, `Where did it come from? Have we verified it?' The burden of
              proof is high."
              The French government shares the Administration's sense of urgency
              about Iran's nuclear program, and believes that Iran will be able to
              produce a warhead within two years. France's newly elected President,
              Nicolas Sarkozy, created a stir in late August when he warned that
              Iran could be attacked if it did not halt its nuclear program.
              Nonetheless, France has indicated to the White House that it has
              doubts about a limited strike, the former senior intelligence official
              told me. Many in the French government have concluded that the Bush
              Administration has exaggerated the extent of Iranian meddling inside
              Iraq; they believe, according to a European diplomat, that "the
              American problems in Iraq are due to their own mistakes, and now the
              Americans are trying to show some teeth. An American bombing will show
              only that the Bush Administration has its own agenda toward Iran."
              A European intelligence official made a similar point. "If you
              attack Iran," he told me, "and do not label it as being against Iran's
              nuclear facilities, it will strengthen the regime, and help to make
              the Islamic air in the Middle East thicker."
              Ahmadinejad, in his speech at the United Nations, said that Iran
              considered the dispute over its nuclear program "closed." Iran would
              deal with it only through the International Atomic Energy Agency, he
              said, and had decided to "disregard unlawful and political impositions
              of the arrogant powers." He added, in a press conference after the
              speech, "the decisions of the United States and France are not important."
              The director general of the I.A.E.A., Mohamed ElBaradei, has for
              years been in an often bitter public dispute with the Bush
              Administration; the agency's most recent report found that Iran was
              far less proficient in enriching uranium than expected. A diplomat in
              Vienna, where the I.A.E.A. is based, said, "The Iranians are years
              away from making a bomb, as ElBaradei has said all along. Running
              three thousand centrifuges does not make a bomb." The diplomat added,
              referring to hawks in the Bush Administration, "They don't like
              ElBaradei, because they are in a state of denial. And now their
              negotiating policy has failed, and Iran is still enriching uranium and
              still making progress."
              The diplomat expressed the bitterness that has marked the
              I.A.E.A.'s dealings with the Bush Administration since the buildup to
              the 2003 invasion of Iraq. "The White House's claims were all a pack
              of lies, and Mohamed is dismissive of those lies," the diplomat said.
              Hans Blix, a former head of the I.A.E.A., questioned the Bush
              Administration's commitment to diplomacy. "There are important cards
              that Washington could play; instead, they have three aircraft carriers
              sitting in the Persian Gulf," he said. Speaking of Iran's role in
              Iraq, Blix added, "My impression is that the United States has been
              trying to push up the accusations against Iran as a basis for a
              possible attack—as an excuse for jumping on them."
              The Iranian leadership is feeling the pressure. In the press
              conference after his U.N. speech, Ahmadinejad was asked about a
              possible attack. "They want to hurt us," he said, "but, with the will
              of God, they won't be able to do it." According to a former State
              Department adviser on Iran, the Iranians complained, in diplomatic
              meetings in Baghdad with Ambassador Crocker, about a refusal by the
              Bush Administration to take advantage of their knowledge of the Iraqi
              political scene. The former adviser said, "They've been trying to
              convey to the United States that `We can help you in Iraq. Nobody
              knows Iraq better than us.' " Instead, the Iranians are preparing for
              an American attack.
              The adviser said that he had heard from a source in Iran that the
              Revolutionary Guards have been telling religious leaders that they can
              stand up to an American attack. "The Guards are claiming that they can
              infiltrate American security," the adviser said. "They are bragging
              that they have spray-painted an American warship—to signal the
              Americans that they can get close to them." (I was told by the former
              senior intelligence official that there was an unexplained incident,
              this spring, in which an American warship was spray-painted with a
              bull's-eye while docked in Qatar, which may have been the source of
              the boasts.)
              "Do you think those crazies in Tehran are going to say, `Uncle Sam
              is here! We'd better stand down'? " the former senior intelligence
              official said. "The reality is an attack will make things ten times
              warmer."
              Another recent incident, in Afghanistan, reflects the tension over
              intelligence. In July, the London Telegraph reported that what
              appeared to be an SA-7 shoulder-launched missile was fired at an
              American C-130 Hercules aircraft. The missile missed its mark. Months
              earlier, British commandos had intercepted a few truckloads of
              weapons, including one containing a working SA-7 missile, coming
              across the Iranian border. But there was no way of determining whether
              the missile fired at the C-130 had come from Iran—especially since
              SA-7s are available through black-market arms dealers.
              Vincent Cannistraro, a retired C.I.A. officer who has worked
              closely with his counterparts in Britain, added to the story: "The
              Brits told me that they were afraid at first to tell us about the
              incident—in fear that Cheney would use it as a reason to attack Iran."
              The intelligence subsequently was forwarded, he said.
              The retired four-star general confirmed that British intelligence
              "was worried" about passing the information along. "The Brits don't
              trust the Iranians," the retired general said, "but they also don't
              trust Bush and Cheney." ¨

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007
                Bradford's knowledgeable reflections upon these horrors are truly
                excellent. The end results as a grande finale, so to say, are
                graphically documented in Antony Beevor's *The Fall of Berlin 1945*,
                copyright Antony Beevor and Artemis Cooper, Viking Penguin, 2002. ISBN
                0-670-03041-4.

                With New Orleans as my home town with resident family remaining, I was
                interested in the Katrina-Blackwater connection, while in addition I
                would like to offer the following URL containing the writer's
                permission as an addition to the below mentioned, and shared,
                wondering re' Iran.
                http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=CHO20070927&articleId=6918

                Regards,

                HappyPick

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 8, 2007

                  Göring set up an auxiliary police force of 50,000 men, composed mostly of members of the SA and SS. The vulgar, brawling, murderous Nazi storm troopers now had the power of police.

                  Awe, don't hold back, tell me what you see in comparison to BlackWater - The Nazi goons and a mere 72 year span?  Do ya think we are getting to see exactly the type of horrific buildup that certainly choked Germany right from under Dr. Steiner?  And all that for a celebration known as Feb 27, 1933....probably nothing to do with the terror

                  "Iraqi authorities want the U.S. government to sever all contracts in Iraq with Blackwater USA within six months and pay $8 million in compensation to each of the families of 17 people killed when the firm's guards sprayed a traffic circle with heavy machine gun fire last month.

                  "The demands, part of an Iraqi government report examined by The Associated Press, also called on U.S. authorities to hand over the Blackwater security agents involved in the Sept. 16 shootings to face possible trial in Iraqi courts.

                  CBS News has found the Iraqi witness accounts of the shootings are remarkably consistent.

                  They say a four-vehicle Blackwater convoy drove into a traffic circle but was blocked by barriers protecting a maintenance crew, reports CBS News correspondent Elizabeth Palmer.

                  The Blackwater guards threw water bottles, warning the cars to stop, but as one car continued to inch forward, Blackwater started shooting, instantly killing the driver.

                  The tone of the Iraqi report appears to signal further strains between the government of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and the White House over the deaths in Nisoor Square, which have prompted a series of U.S. and Iraqi probes and raised questions over the use of private security contractors to guard U.S. diplomats and other officials.

                  Al-Maliki ordered the investigation by his defense minister and other top security and police officials on Sept. 22. The findings mark the most definitive Iraqi positions and contentions about the shootings last month.

                  The report also highlights the differences in death tolls and accounts that have complicated efforts to piece together the chain of events as one Blackwater-protected convoy raced back toward Baghdad's Green Zone after a nearby bombing, while a second back-up team in four gun trucks sped into the square as a back-up team.

                  The Iraqi investigation charges the four Blackwater vehicles called to the square began shooting without provocation. Blackwater contends its employees came under fire first.

                  The government, at the conclusion of its investigation, said 17 Iraqis died. Initial reports put the toll at 11.

                  It said the compensation - totaling $136 million - was so high "because Blackwater uses employees who disrespect the rights of Iraqi citizens even though they are guests in this country."

                  The U.S. military pays compensation money to the families of civilians killed in battles or to cover property damage, but at far lower amounts.

                  The United States has not made conclusive findings about the shooting, though there are multiple investigations under way and Congress has opened inquiries into the role of private security contractors. Last week, the FBI took over a State Department investigation, raising the prospect that it could be referred to the Justice Department for prosecution.

                  The FBI investigation is supposed to wrap up in days, not weeks, adds Palmer. But there is still a lot of work to do. CBS News' investigation turned up many witnesses who have not yet been interviewed.

                  The Iraqi government report said its courts were to proper venue in which to bring charges.

                  It said Blackwater's license to operate in Iraq expired on June 2, 2006, meaning it had no immunity from prosecution under Iraqi laws set down after the fall of Saddam Hussein in 2003.

                  The government report also challenged the claim that a decree in June 2004 by then-Iraqi administrator L. Paul Bremer granted Blackwater immunity from legal action in incidents such as the one in Nisoor Square. The report said the Blackwater guards could be charged under a criminal code from 1969.

                  U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Mirembe Nantongo said the diplomatic mission would have no comment on the report. Iraq's Interior Ministry spokesman, Abdul-Karim Khalaf, said the document was in American hands.

                  The report found that Blackwater guards also had killed 21 Iraqi civilians and wounded 27 in previous shootings since it took over security for U.S. diplomats in Baghdad after the U.S. invasion. The Iraqi government did not say whether it would try to prosecute in those cases.

[...]

                • carol
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Karen, sound like you need to download music (songs) onto your
                    computer, lie back and relax. (often)

                    --- In anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com, "elfkinszee" <blue_star_in@...>

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 11, 2007
                    • M Howell